Holman update 2.0

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
He started following cheese and Loftin on twitter. Rumored to be neck and neck with LSU at this point. I’m on the edge of my seat.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is ridiculous. Way too much time and energy is having to be spent on baseball transfer portal guys. Honestly it's probably just the SEC. It's why I wouldn't be shocked to see Lemonis bolt to like Coastal Carolina or something in a few years.

Either way, this isn't our game in my opinion. It may work for us next year, but it's a one-year fix. This type shlt is for the LSUs, Vandys, Floridas of the world. We need to be going after the second level guys who will stick around for the long haul who won't transfer and try and stay consistently good. We need to be using our NIL to supplement half scholarships and then to keep the select few guys around who are stars after their freshmen/sophomore years. Which generally won't be the case if we are recruiting correctly.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is ridiculous. Way too much time and energy is having to be spent on baseball transfer portal guys. Honestly it's probably just the SEC. It's why I wouldn't be shocked to see Lemonis bolt to like Coastal Carolina or something in a few years.

Either way, this isn't our game in my opinion. It may work for us next year, but it's a one-year fix. This type shlt is for the LSUs, Vandys, Floridas of the world. We need to be going after the second level guys who will stick around for the long haul who won't transfer and try and stay consistently good. We need to be using our NIL to supplement half scholarships and then to keep the select few guys around who are stars after their freshmen/sophomore years. Which generally won't be the case if we are recruiting correctly.
We haven’t been recruiting correctly for a while now. We have to fight for these 2 big transfers. Lemonis knows his job may depend on it.

edit: I do agree it’s ridiculous. But building a sustained program is a thing of the past. You almost have to build your program every year now. You have to recruit your current players to come back (the ones you want to keep anyway), and you have to recruit some transfers.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We haven’t been recruiting correctly for a while now. We have to fight for these 2 big transfers. Lemonis knows his job may depend on it.
That's where I was going with that.

He will save his job this year. Justin Parker alone will likely do that. But the following years could get rough before we finally have to move on. It'll be weird if we make a run, Lemonis' career will consist of 3 Omaha years and 3-4 losing seasons. Talk about boom or bust.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He started following cheese and Loftin on twitter. Rumored to be neck and neck with LSU at this point. I’m on the edge of my seat.
Nobody here likes your shirt or hair Rosey.**

Dayum, Just dayum. That's a bunch of typed up horsesheet!

Reactions: bigbub50

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Just when you think your doing it the right way............

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's where I was going with that.

He will save his job this year. Justin Parker alone will likely do that. But the following years could get rough before we finally have to move on. It'll be weird if we make a run, Lemonis' career will consist of 3 Omaha years and 3-4 losing seasons. Talk about boom or bust.
Maybe. I don't see us making much of a run next year even if we do get Holman. Without him, I think there's a 50-50 chance we miss a regional again, which would be the end for Lemonis. Longer term, I think we're looking at several years of Polk II mediocrity. We've made it perfectly clear we no longer care about being a top baseball program.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If we are good in baseball we are not going to have to re recruit our own guys. Build the program the traditional way and compete for 2-3 guys every year that can fill holes or take us up a notch. We are fine as a program and we can do well in the portal. Just need a coach.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Maybe. I don't see us making much of a run next year even if we do get Holman. Without him, I think there's a 50-50 chance we miss a regional again, which would be the end for Lemonis. Longer term, I think we're looking at several years of Polk II mediocrity. We've made it perfectly clear we no longer care about being a top baseball program.
That’s certainly the “glass is half empty” perspective…. 🤣

I still have some hope for Lemonis, but he’ll need to be on a short leash. If we land our big fish in the portal this season (Montgomery and Holman), it will be a huge step on the right track. Even if it’s just one season, it will matter in recruiting.

We won big by missing out on Skenes last season. No way Foxhall gets canned if we land him.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
That’s certainly the “glass is half empty” perspective…. 🤣

I still have some hope for Lemonis, but he’ll need to be on a short leash. If we land our big fish in the portal this season (Montgomery and Holman), it will be a huge step on the right track. Even if it’s just one season, it will matter in recruiting.

We won big by missing out on Skenes last season. No way Foxhall gets canned if we land him.
No way Skenes is drafted where he was if foxhall was his coach

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No way Skenes is drafted where he was if foxhall was his coach
Absolutely not, but the guy was an elite college pitcher already. I’m not sure Foxhall could have ruined him. I’m sure he’d have won enough to have made it much harder to make a case to fire Fox.

Either way, neither Skenes nor Tubby Tommy would have made any huge difference on last years team. We just didn’t have a pitching coach and no lead was ever safe.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Either way, neither Skenes nor Tubby Tommy would have made any huge difference on last years team. We just didn’t have a pitching coach and no lead was ever safe.
we'd likely hosted with Skenes, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. When Fox had talent, he was the best pitching coach in the county, when he had poor talent, or talent that need development, he sucked. It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's more than the X's and O's.

Last edited:
  • Haha

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Last couple of years have been miserable but I don’t think our program is quite as bad as it appears. 2021 was tough because we lost our ace and some top relief pitching to injury. Prob would have been a tough out in the tourney with more pitching health luck. This past year seemed like a rebuild from the start as our talent consisted of freshmen/soph (Jordan, Hines, Mershon, Highfill, Loftin, and Loo). Seems like we have a good core moving forward. Some regression was expected after going to Omaha 3 years in a row - the dip was a lot lower than we would have hoped but I am okay giving the one coach to ever bring a national championship a little leash especially if he is willing to make some course corrections like firing Foxhall. I am probably too optimistic but I don’t think you are ever as good as you may think during the highs and never as bad as some think during the lows … well except for the final Sherrill years and the Rick Ray experiment.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s pretty extreme negativity. I know it’s cool to be that way, but damn. I can follow you on the football outlook, but if we land Holman and Montgomery we will be national title contenders.

Land Holman alone and we will be hosting.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
we'd likely hosted with Skenes, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. When Fox had talent, he was the best pitching coach in the county, when he had poor talent, or talent that need development, he sucked. It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's more than the X's and O's.
Had Skenes gone undefeated here, maybe so. Do you think that would have been likely?

I doubt we’d have won more than 5 more games. Nowhere near hosting. And, we’d still have Foxhall.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Last couple of years have been miserable but I don’t think our program is quite as bad as it appears. 2021 was tough because we lost our aces and some top relief pitching to injury. Prob would have been a tough out in the tourney with more pitching health luck. This past year seemed like a rebuild from the start as our talent consisted of freshmen/soph (Jordan, Hines, Mershon, Highfill, Loftin, and Loo). Seems like we have a good core moving forward. Some regression was expected after going to Omaha 3 years in a row - the dip was a lot lower than we would have hoped but I am okay giving the one coach to ever bring a national championship a little leash especially if he is willing to make some course corrections like firing Foxhall. I am probably too optimistic but I don’t think you are ever as good as you may think during the highs and never as bad as some think during the lows … well except for the final Sherrill years and the Rick Ray experiment.
Concur, I think we are lot closer than many of our fans. We're not as bad as our fans want us to be.

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
Concur, I think we are lot closer than many of our fans. We're not as bad as our fans want us to be.
Completely agree, we were 6 runs from being a top half SEC team which puts you in the CWS most years. We were much closer than the haters want to believe. One Landon Sims type player and the season is remarkably different.

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Completely agree, we were 6 runs from being a top half SEC team which puts you in the CWS most years. We were much closer than the haters want to believe. One Landon Sims type player and the season is remarkably different.
I don’t think we were 6 runs away from being a top half SEC team last year. We weren’t good last year but did have young talent that I think can be built upon.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

What 6 runs would those be?

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s pretty extreme negativity. I know it’s cool to be that way, but damn. I can follow you on the football outlook, but if we land Holman and Montgomery we will be national title contenders.

Land Holman alone and we will be hosting.
If we get both, we might host. Depending on how the returning pitchers respond to decent coaching.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The SEC gets 7 teams in the College World Series most years?

Reactions: She Mate Me

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We can match ANY NIL deal right now. ANY
We failed at HS recruiting, especially the pitching side l, for a couple years. We had a pitching coach that couldn't develop Covid in a nursing home. We should, and will be, in on lots of top transfers. We just have to pull them and win some games.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login