Holy crap at OSB

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Lumber started coming back to earth until about 2 weeks ago. Transportation is a huge problem. Specifically rail cars for lumber. Mills have limited storage space and will have to slow production if the takeaway doesn't increase.

Hopefully OSB isa little smoother. Most is mills are regional and use trucks and boxcars instead of lumber rail cars. But all said, it's higher than giraffe p*$$y as we like to say.... But still, nothing like last April... Of course it's only February and ahead of last year's pace.

View attachment 23847

My thesis was it would not go quite as high and would peter out sooner. Buyers would try to get an early jump this year and not end up in panic mode.. Figured the top for late Jan/Feb. We shall see.

I am on a weekly call this afternoon and will update if anything interesting is shared.

ETA. I will share a little good news for timber owners later this morning.

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Transportation is shitting on pretty much everything. In the public sector, there is literally billions of metric tons of material staged that cannot get delivered to work sites. Frustrating as hell. Workers on site, equipment ready to go, perfect weather, and no 17n material.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Inflation coming in hot again this morning. Somethings got to give eventually.

I can't confirm the accuracy of this statement but was watching a lecture I stumbled across on YouTube and the guy was saying that 40% of all currency printed in the history of the United States was printed in the last year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That'll fix it.

We also have to stop letting local governments 17 up logistics at major ports.

The federal government in its wisdom also made it harder and more expensive to get a CDL as of February 7th. I mean, we are so flush with truck drivers, we really needed to make it harder for people to get licensed.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Who is we if you don't mind? $2,000 per MSF is way higher than anything I have seen lately for 7/16 osb.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Transportation is shitting on pretty much everything. In the public sector, there is literally billions of metric tons of material staged that cannot get delivered to work sites. Frustrating as hell. Workers on site, equipment ready to go, perfect weather, and no 17n material.

If the govt. want to subsidize something, do it with CDL training. Also put CDL training (along with other trades such as plumbing, welding, and electrician) in high schools so kids that don't chose college have jobs/direction when they graduate. They could even partner with willing companies to sponsor part of the training - company pays and kid works for them for 2 years after graduation or pays back cost of training. Helps kid and company.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Who is we if you don't mind? $2,000 per MSF is way higher than anything I have seen lately for 7/16 osb.

Just checked my local Lowe's, 1 sheet of 7/16 is $47.19 - Ima go but all they got and sell it to Dawg 1979 for 56 a sheet & we'll both make a killin'.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah. I just got a quote for prompt truckloads delivered anywhere from Austin, OKC, Amarillo, and Shreveport... or anywhere between. $1512/msf or $48.38 a sheet. Can have it there by Monday. That's a nice little $14k per truckload of profit I don't mind splitting 80/20 with anyone that can sell it for $64 a sheet.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Is it the local govts, or is it monopolized transportation companies?

No independent trucker wants to go into California because of all the regulation. They keep most of them out because of one, the engine can be more than 10 years old. There is a list of regulations that they have that are completely stupid. Temporary suspend them until the supply chain loosens up.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
One of the best little nuggets in the infrastructure bill is was a requirement forcing the FMCSA drop its ban on CDL drivers under 21 from being able to cross state lines. Now you can leave high school and start a career as an interstate truck driver. The facts are you are much more likely to get younger and older drives to drive long haul... Tough life for those with kids. Making $65K a year to see the country right out of high school, not the worst idea.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's local and state government. Onlly monopolized transportation companies I've dealt with is railroads and the ones I've dealt with suck, but as far as I can tell, it's local and state restrictions on truckers, trucking companies, and container storage causing the most easily fixable problems, not railroads.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If you start out young and stick with it there is damn good money to be made. Totally understand the family part though.

I know a guy that started driving out of high school that’s close to retirement with Great Dane. He gets over 40 dollars an hour and basically picks his route because of seniority. Lives in a huge house in Southaven.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Don't forget the unions. It's by far the biggest problem and has been for a long time.

I was responsible for about 20-30 containers a month coming into the Port of Houston and a few break bulk shipments as well back in 2007-11. The union stevedores vs non union stevedores terminals were night and day. It took weeks longer at the union terminals and my goodness did the tear **** up. We had no control over what terminal the containers ended up so it was a crapshoot.

We got so fed up with it that we started bringing our containers into Manzanillo and railing the containers up to Ft Worth at a private inland port. It was faster and cheaper.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
No independent trucker wants to go into California because of all the regulation. They keep most of them out because of one, the engine can be more than 10 years old. There is a list of regulations that they have that are completely stupid. Temporary suspend them until the supply chain loosens up.

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with that short haul port truckers make less than minimum wage.

Tell the monopoly port companies to spend what it takes to fix the problem, or they'll be nationalized. Will be solved overnight. But we are too corrupt as a nation to do that.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I hired a guy back in October to do a remodel of my lake cabin. Expected cost was 55,000 plus I was to purchase flooring, bathroom tiles, vanity and toilets.

Bottom line, is he started the first week in Nov and he can't get his help to show. I have been in a mess and it's looking like another month. Timelines are a joke, ordered windows 10-21-21 and they won't be here until April, I hope.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Don't forget the unions. It's by far the biggest problem and has been for a long time.

I was responsible for about 20-30 containers a month coming into the Port of Houston and a few break bulk shipments as well back in 2007-11. The union stevedores vs non union stevedores terminals were night and day. It took weeks longer at the union terminals and my goodness did the tear **** up. We had no control over what terminal the containers ended up so it was a crapshoot.

We got so fed up with it that we started bringing our containers into Manzanillo and railing the containers up to Ft Worth at a private inland port. It was faster and cheaper.

Short haul truckers at Cali ports are not unionized.

I've seen both sides with union and non-union work forces. One particular downside with non-union work forces is that management is ridiculously resistant to wage hikes when market forces dictate it. They get great workers at first, when the business is new and profits are not set. They pay what people are worth. Then the wage starts to take precedence to the quality, so that quarterly numbers are met and managers aren't called on the carpet over payroll increases. Not long after that, the workers are worse than union ones.

These short haul truckers are the worst of the worst. It's literally the worst paying job in the industry. With predictable results.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login