Holy Shite. My neighbors house JUST got struck by lightning.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
at 1:47pm EST. Sounded like a bomb went off. Somehow nothing in my house is impacted.

He's got minor roof damage and lots of electrical issues. HVAC included. The silver lining is he's a contractor so he can access and fix most of it.

Amazingly my Xfinity service never blinked.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Some how, my neighbor had 2 huge (probably 50') pines get struck several months back that are about 100' apart. There is a streak running from top to bottom of both of them where the bark was blown off when the bolt went down the trunk. Surprisingly they haven't declined at all but sure it's only a matter of time. I've never seen lightning strike twice that close in the same storm, unless it did something crazy like went down 1 tree and back up the other or the bolt split and hit them both at same time. I've seen some bizarre things happen with it, another neighbor years ago had a strike in a tree, the voltage went into the ground and got into the sprinkler system. It then ran in the wiring all the way back to the garage where it blew the controller off the wall and across the top of 3 cars and it put a hole in the sheetrock when the controller hit the wall. Don't mess w/ lightning.....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I was chillin' at Buc'ees yesterday and lightning struck between the interstate. Looked like Rayden off Mortal Kombat.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Had this happen in my neighborhood several years ago- the house almost burned to ground before it was able to be put out.
Sounded like a bomb had gone off.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Was at my cousins deer camp and lightning struck pine tree on pond bank about 50 yards from patio we were under.

The bolt traveled down the pine into the tap root, which was evidently in the pond water. This caused a big blue fireball to come up out of the pond, and went into roots and up a gum tree, exploding it into hundreds of pieces. Chunks of wood landed all around us. Of course this all happened within a half-second.

When we got our bearings and feet under us, we immediately ran inside. Most of the contents on shelf above couch had been knocked onto couch from the blast. God was definitely looking out for us.

That pine still has a section of bark missing, but is still alive.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
From my front porch, I watched a wall cloud roll in years ago. Lightning struck the back yard of my across the street neighbor, scared me nearly to death, and blew up my garage door opener, stereo and AC. Did not hurt the neighbor's house at all.

Last edited:

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I witnessed a guy getting struck by lightning while dove hunting. A blow up storm formed and everyone was leaving the field. The guy for some reason had his gun barrel pointed straight up walking across the field. Lightning hit his barrel, entered in his shoulder and traveled down his body and came out of his nutsack. His clothes were completely blown off of his body and his gun looked like something off a cartoon the way it was peeled back like a banana peel.

My grandfather and I loaded him up into the bed of his truck and made a 35 minute drive to the hospital in about 15 minutes. They immediately flew him to the burn center (when it was still open) and he eventually went on to make a full recovery. The Lord definitely was watching over and him and there is know way he should have survived.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
From your lips to God's ears. My garage opener is fried. Will not power on. Seems to be the only thing that got damaged.

SpeckTaker

Nov 1, 2012
Was fishing last week when a storm popped up and enveloped us. No lightening in it. All the rod tips in the boat started sizzling with static electricity. I quickly layed them all down. It wasn’t a minute later when the first strike occurred a few miles away.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I witnessed a guy getting struck by lightning while dove hunting. A blow up storm formed and everyone was leaving the field. The guy for some reason had his gun barrel pointed straight up walking across the field. Lightning hit his barrel, entered in his shoulder and traveled down his body and came out of his nutsack. His clothes were completely blown off of his body and his gun looked like something off a cartoon the way it was peeled back like a banana peel.

My grandfather and I loaded him up into the bed of his truck and made a 35 minute drive to the hospital in about 15 minutes. They immediately flew him to the burn center (when it was still open) and he eventually went on to make a full recovery. The Lord definitely was watching over and him and there is know way he should have survived.

And his nut sack?

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Several years ago, a bolt of lightning hit a pine tree about 60 feet from my house. It hit the top of the tree, traveled down the trunk to the ground. It then followed a tree root to the front porch of my house and exploded a brick column supporting my front porch and traveled up the metal column supporting the roof of the porch and traveled around the metal coil fascia around the porch to the floodlights on each side of the porch. It blew out 6 floodlight bulbs and ended who knows where. My electrician buddy who wired the house when it was built came over later that day and checked everything out and couldn’t find anything else wrong other than the shattered bulbs. It did trip the breaker on the floodlight circuit. We were inside the house at the time and other than the sound of the lightning bolt we were all temporarily blinded by the most intensely bright light ever.

This past Sunday our power went out during a rather intense lightning event. The power company showed up about an hour later. There were wires down on 5 spans of power lines leading to our house. Wires usually come down because limbs or trees fall on them. I got on my side-by-side (yeah, I’m a nosy 17’er) and went and watched them put the wires back up. No trees or limbs fell on the lines-there were just 5 spans of wire on the ground. I assume these lines were hit by lightning. I don’t know if that is what happened or not.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Something similar happens with me whenever there's an electrical storm. The water heater is in my garage on the backside of the wall to my kitchen. Right before any lightning strike nearby, there's a crackle sound of electricity a half second before the flash. Presumably from the exhaust vent through the roof. Startles the **** outta me every time.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Remarkably so. He lost one , but still had 1 functioning. Supposedly has several kids now.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009

I remember this. Mahannah, wasn’t it?

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
It will die in a few years. I have had 2 pine trees and an oak get struck. One of the pines and the oak were the same strike. They all died in 4-5 years.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Update: I’m finding several of my expensive LED lights are blown. The few remaining halogen lights that I haven’t upgraded to LED are fine.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Lightning hit the house two doors down from us last summer and it blew a hole in their roof about the size of a car tire. It fried their TVs and a couple of other small electronics and nothing else.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sorry. When it happened to me I was in my first professional role, single income, three very young kids and didn't have a dime to spare. Does that make you feel thankful? :)

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
Your garage operator may have just lost the code. I would try to re-pair your remotes/vehicles before buying a new one

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Be sure and test EVERYTHING in the house and any outbuildings, exterior light poles, etc that may be there. My neighbor that had the 2 trees get struck a few months ago found blown bulbs and outlets in a small shed that he has outside. He also had fixtures in the attic and crawl space that were blown that he didn't discover until after filing insurance.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Be sure and test EVERYTHING in the house and any outbuildings, exterior light poles, etc that may be there. My neighbor that had the 2 trees get struck a few months ago found blown bulbs and outlets in a small shed that he has outside. He also had fixtures in the attic and crawl space that were blown that he didn't discover until after filing insurance.

This^^^^^^ Had my house get struck about a month ago now. Fried garage door, a sound bar, and our total internet system from the modem to all the boxes outside of the house. Thank god it didn’t get the HVAC unit. Check everything as peeper mentioned we are still finding things. Also check all electronic devices to make sure they are working properly. For example all of (3) our Alexa’s are now acting funny.

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
Was fishing last week when a storm popped up and enveloped us. No lightening in it. All the rod tips in the boat started sizzling with static electricity. I quickly layed them all down. It wasn’t a minute later when the first strike occurred a few miles away.

Same here, twice fishing down at Chandeleur. Both times presumably after the storms had finished.

First time was in the morning, fishing off North Island, poles starting singing and the fiberglass skiffs were stinging our
asses w/ the static electricity, we got the hell outta there and same thing happened, lightning popped that spot. GOD was w/ us.

Second time was after a storm had passed, sun was out and we went back out to get
to a hot spot by the mothership. My buddy was fishing w/ monofilament and it arced, would not lay flat in the water, damndest thing I've ever seen. Both out hair was standing on ends and again, we got the hell outta there.
No lightning strike that time but we returned to the boat, had a beer or three and thanked our lucky stars again.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
He also had fixtures in the attic and crawl space that were blown that he didn't discover until after filing insurance.

You can file a supplemental claim for damages discovered after insurance has made payment and closed out the claim. Your deductible would already have been met and an additional payment would be issued.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When we lived in Mississippi we had one bolt hit a Pine tree just off our driveway. It does sound like a bomb.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Read an article in the Times Picayune (Louisiana years ago.) Two fishing boats were anchored close together in Lake Pontchartrain. Bad weather moved in and a bolt of lightning hit close. One guy who was standing in the stern of his boat shook his fist at the sky and shouted "Ha ha, you missed me." A short time later another bolt came down, hit him and killed him. These events were reported by the guy in the other boat.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
at 1:47pm EST. Sounded like a bomb went off. Somehow nothing in my house is impacted.

He's got minor roof damage and lots of electrical issues. HVAC included. The silver lining is he's a contractor so he can access and fix most of it.

Amazingly my Xfinity service never blinked.

Based on the threat's I received from my Grandma the summer between 7th and 8th grade when I stayed with her... Your neighbor was definitely playing with his tallywacker.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login