Hope none of y’all are flying Southwest to Tampa

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
My group was flying out of BHM on SWA Saturday and Sunday. I’m debating cancelling those and booking elsewhere. Nothing seems to point to them having this figured out by the weekend.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Flying SWA out of Memphis Sunday. If it gets canceled, ill just use that credit on my next vacation and watch the game from home.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Southwest is having some major problems now. From what I read they were trying to blame it on the weather, but other airlines were flying with few delays so the real reason is something internal. Same article said flight crews, including flight attendants, were treated terribly by the airline.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sounds like it's an antiquated software issue.

I've been telling people for years that Southwest was on borrowed time. Old planes, old everything. They are technically in the 'big 4' of airlines but they are not like the other 3.

I quit messing with Southwest when a piece of their freaking fuselage broke off years ago. That was it for me.

I'm a Delta/American man. United if I need to.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

I've been telling people for years that Southwest was on borrowed time. Old planes, old everything. They are technically in the 'big 4' of airlines but they are not like the other 3.

I quit messing with Southwest when a piece of their freaking fuselage broke off years ago. That was it for me.

Software seems to be at least a major part of the problem. Their main advantage is that they fly to non-hub places that other airlines don't go to.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Friend of mine was flying w/ them yesterday and they told him they had no flight crews left available to work the flight he was on because they were all either stranded somewhere or had used up their hours and had to be off per contracts. Whatever the reason doesn't sound good for them, other airlines cancelled 2-3% of their flights, SW 62%.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Family was supposed to fly Southwest tomorrow from Baltimore to Jackson to see family for the holidays, got cancelled this morning. Everything else is sooooo expensive now. We're just waiting until the kids spring break to come down now.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Yeah. Told my brother this morning they have to have had some kind of major computer crash. No way all those cancellations are weather related. Southwest isn’t anywhere here near the airline it once was.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I had a couple bad experiences with southwest earlier this year. I generally fly delta and after my experience earlier this year, I will only fly delta.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Had to cancel our family vacation due to their F up. Is what it is - we are on Plan B but down a good bit of money in hotel cancellation and other non refundable stuff we had planned. I'll be switching CC points programs and taking my business elsewhere. They aren't a well run company any longer from the customer experience side.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Southwest is having some major problems now. From what I read they were trying to blame it on the weather, but other airlines were flying with few delays so the real reason is something internal. Same article said flight crews, including flight attendants, were treated terribly by the airline.
Some of my extended family was flying to Orlando from Houston on Sunday. Found out it was cancelled when they got to the counter. Had already checked bags outside, so they had to find those etc. My son was supposed to fly to Jackson from Houston today, and it was cancelled last night. I don’t see how they can blame weather when others are not canceling flights at the same rate.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
My business management professor loved Herb Keller. I believe we spent the first month on what a great company SW airline was (long time ago) and how he built the business.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
My group was flying out of BHM on SWA Saturday and Sunday. I’m debating cancelling those and booking elsewhere. Nothing seems to point to them having this figured out by the weekend.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
For what it's worth.... I flew SW to Dallas Friday morning and Christmas morning back to Mem.

Christmas morning as we waited to board, SW came over the PA and announced that if you were flying to Salt Lake from Dallas, the flight was canceled and your best bet was to drive. The guy was brutally Frank but he was honest. he said they were booked through the week and had no flights to add and no room on any future flights for the next week. Ouch. Thank goodness I made it out of Dallas.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012

Delta currently flies more older planes than Southwest. The accident you're referring to was due to an uncontained engine failure sending shrapnel into the fuselage. That has also happened on a Delta flight which killed two people. Other than that, I'm guessing Southwest will get some badly needed operational overhaul due to this cluster.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
ZFG by you of their shittiness or from them of your status?
Me of their shittiness.

To me, the airline you fly on the most should be the one that best services your home airport. If you live in Charlotte - that’s American; Atlanta - Delta; etc. I spend a lot of time in the Nashville airport. SWA is the best option out of BNA. It’s going to be hard for their struggles to materially impact my spending habits.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Me of their shittiness.

To me, the airline you fly on the most should be the one that best services your home airport. If you live in Charlotte - that’s American; Atlanta - Delta; etc. I spend a lot of time in the Nashville airport. SWA is the best option out of BNA. It’s going to be hard for their struggles to materially impact my spending habits.
American and Delta are awful for regional flights in any other city. Always a connection to Atlanta or Dallas. Southwest has the best direct flight options for most cities.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Our contract is usually southwest out of MSY so I fly southwest a lot. This is making me nervous about upcoming business trips. I hope the renegotiate our contract on get American as a backup. I used to fly American all the time.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’ve had my fair share of bad experiences with all of them. American in particular has screwed me the most. SW has normally been fairly dependable for me. Delta has been the best but also most expensive.

Just last month I got stuck in Dallas for 6 hours on American (scheduled for 3pm and left at 9pm). They had another full flight going to my destination that left ON TIME around 5pm. Talk about frustrating. Literally had the same size plane make the same flight mine was going to make, while mine continued to be delayed for 4 more hours.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Me of their shittiness.

I fly out of Memphis. Nothing really sticks out bt SWA and Delta there. 6 of one / half dozen. Really just depends what your destination cities are. I get companion pass with SWA from my Visa but might switch cards to give Delta (or others) a whirl. May not get a companion pass type perk but maybe lounge or class upgrades among other things. Might as well use this as my motivation to try something different.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I hope they get it figured out. I recently started compiling SW miles on my Chase Sapphire card as an alternative to Delta (which I love), just because I have small kids. When we want to fly with them, its preferable to minimize connecting flights and just get from A to B as quickly as possible. But this is the second major operational cluster they have had in less than a year….may have to rethink my strategy.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Me of their shittiness.

Who “best services” your home airport also depends on where you’re going. Delta has non-stop flights to Seattle, LA, Boston, NYC, and a few other great cities out of BNA. SW is, by design, always going to have more direct flight options, but that may not matter if you don’t frequent their destinations very often.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login