How A Basketball Game Saved Thousands Of Lives From A Tornado

Bulldawg56

Mar 3, 2008
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just stumbled upon this video on YouTube about the tornado during the 2008 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
My pops and I were there. This is just before the time of absolutely everything being on your phone. No instant weather warnings or high def radar. There was no warning until we heard it.

I’m not going to say it was absolutely terrifying.. but we were definitely haulingass to get out of the temporary metal bleachers that were exposed to the roof and to retreat under the safety of the stadium overhang.

To tell the truth.. I didn’t think much was wrong with the dome when we left that night.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I was there with my former MSU roommates.
We went to the window section to watch it after debris started falling down. Wasn't scary, just a shock since we had no warning.
Actually got free tickets for that game. Was talking with a scalper and a cop comes up...grabs the tickets, tells the scalper he is too close to the building, scalper runs away, he then hands tickets to me and my 2 buds.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I was there also. Had family there too who traveled from MS for the tourney. That was a surreal experience. For me there was no fear because by the time one figured out what was happening it was over. Walking outside the dome that night was a shocking experience though looking at what we would have been exposed to if that game had ended in regulation.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I was there with my 6 year old. Wife and 3 year old left because it was so late. We were diagonally across from where it hit the roof. We heard it and heard the people running from the bleachers. Had no idea what had happened.

We stuck around. The day of the UK UGA game, we were on the elevator with UK fans. My 6 yo looks up at them and says, "go Georgia." UK fan says, "that's pretty cool kid." Hands him a $20.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login