How about this plan to combine MHSAA and MAIS

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Division I

Public schools with 900+ students and four largest private schools.

Currently 32 teams.

Current 7A+ Hancock, West Harrison, Pascagoula and South Panola from 6A and Hartfield, JA, MRA and Prep.

Division II

Public schools with 500-899 students and next four largest private schools. (probably St. Joe, Parklane, PCS and Magnolia Heights)

Currently 64 teams.

Current 5A and 6A sans the above teams, plus next four private schools (Starkville, Heritage size schools)

Division III (combined for all sports, broken up for football)

Class I

Public schools with 300-499 students (54) and next 10 largest private schools (Canton Academy size schools)

64 teams

Current 4A + 14 largest public 3A plus St. Stanislaus, St. Andrew's and 8 more MAIS teams

Class II

Public schools with 200-299 students and next 16 largest private schools

48 teams

Class III

All remaining schools (60 MHSAA, 30 or so MAIS)

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The public schools don't want anymore private schools in the public league/

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The public schools don't want anymore private schools in the public league/
I know, but it's going to happen eventually. Trying to look at options outside the box.

Mississippi has essentially 13 classes of football for half the schools that surrounding states have.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I heard this weekend Magnolia Heights has 26 kids in their football team. I don’t think that would work out well for them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I heard this weekend Magnolia Heights has 26 kids in their football team. I don’t think that would work out well for them.
Unsurprising.

Nothing specific regarding Magnolia Heights but I’ve long thought the number of MAIS schools that will play 8-man or completely drop football will increase.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
don't know how many this year but st joe madison only had 30 or so a few years ago

kbanes

Oct 13, 2021
Living in Louisiana, we kind of live through this right now. Public and Privates have always played in the LHSAA (for as long as I an remember, They had a serious problem between the publics and privates over recruiting, and their solution was to split up, but only during the playoffs. They play in the same district, play each other during the regular season, but during the playoffs are split into "Select" and "Non-Select". This started out as being code words for Private and Public.
However, over the years, public schools have changed. A large number of public schools now allow students from outside their assigned zone. This is to allow more diversification in student bodies. Charter schools run of the direction of public school boards are also on the rise.
As a consequence, there is now pretty much a 50/50 split of Select to Non-select, with many public schools now falling into select.
And some very good Public schools are in Select.

Is this type of reorganization occuring in Mississippi public schools? Is there a noticeable increase in public charter schools? If so, are any of them taking advantage of more liberal enrollment rules (recruiting)? Has it even come up?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Division I

Public schools with 900+ students and four largest private schools.

Currently 32 teams.

Current 7A+ Hancock, West Harrison, Pascagoula and South Panola from 6A and Hartfield, JA, MRA and Prep.

Division II

Public schools with 500-899 students and next four largest private schools. (probably St. Joe, Parklane, PCS and Magnolia Heights)

Currently 64 teams.

Current 5A and 6A sans the above teams, plus next four private schools (Starkville, Heritage size schools)

Division III (combined for all sports, broken up for football)

Class I

Public schools with 300-499 students (54) and next 10 largest private schools (Canton Academy size schools)

64 teams

Current 4A + 14 largest public 3A plus St. Stanislaus, St. Andrew's and 8 more MAIS teams

Class II

Public schools with 200-299 students and next 16 largest private schools

48 teams

Class III

All remaining schools (60 MHSAA, 30 or so MAIS)
Just eyeballing it it looks like the private schools are going to get hammered under that plan and they’d be crazy to go for it. I’m definitely not up to date, but I don’t think most of them recruit nearly enough to make up for the size difference you’re talking about.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Won't ever happen for many reasons but private schools being forced to eliminate a lot of recruiting would be tops.
It isn't just about recruiting. How would you draw their district lines? Look at Rankin County. Where do Prep, Hartfield, NWR lines get draw for student enrollment. Where do Pearl, Park Place Christian, Brandon draw their lines for
Enrollment? Where do Pelahatchie, Pisgah and East Rankin Academy draw their lines for enrollment? East Rankin Academy gets kids from Brandon, Pelahatchie, Morton and maybe even Forest. Park Place draws from Brandon, Pearl, Richland, Flowood and Florence. Konnor Griffin lives in Florence and went to Prep. Jake Mangum lived in Pearl and went to Prep. I know kids years ago who lived in Brandon and went to MRA. So you have JA drawing from all over the metro and they are in Northeast Jackson. They over lap Murrah and Callaway. What would be Madison Central. Ridgeland, Germantown, Canton and MRA and Canton Academy enrollment district lines? It is impossible!

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
MAIS is terribly boring. Who cares if you are really good in MAIS? Can Mhsaa members not recruit in their own zone? They should be combined but won’t bc it it’s not in the interests of the folks that run each program. Your best bet is to pressure your own MAIS member to join MHSAA.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
In Ga there are private schools playing in the “public” GHSAA. There is something in place based on enrollment that bumps the private schools up in most divisions since their enrollment is not based on geography and they can recruit I mean pull from a larger area. Several smaller public schools threatened to leave GHSAA a few years ago since the lower divisions were being dominated by the private schools and GHSAA added the enrollment modifier to even the playing field.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know, but it's going to happen eventually. Trying to look at options outside the box.

Mississippi has essentially 13 classes of football for half the schools that surrounding states have.
The only private schools that would ever even consider doing this would be the big ones. The rest could and should stay in MAIS. Most every other state has a separate private school division.

It's only an issue for the big schools.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Won't ever happen for many reasons but private schools being forced to eliminate a lot of recruiting would be tops.
Couldn't they just outlaw giving financial aid? Seems that would take care of most of it.

Of course, if a rich dude wanted to buy a player, I suppose he can. But that's different from the school giving financial aid.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login