HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
68 was standing by the ref before that 2 point play. No reason for him to be there except to report.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
68 was standing by the ref before that 2 point play. No reason for him to be there except to report.

I don't know if he reported or not, but the rules guy said they committed three penalties on that play.

Also, when I've watched Detroit in those situations this year, they typically bring in the 11'4" Dan Skipper to be the OL reporting as eligible, so I'm sure they were trying some 17ery letting the revolving door left tackle catch that ball.

Reactions: ntzdog

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
3 OLs were standing by the ref. 2 supposedly reported but the closest one to the ref doesn't (decoy) and it looks like he actually blocks ref from the guy reporting.

Point is refs tell the D who is eligible so if ref doesn't tell D that the guy is eligible then they aren't going to worry about covering him.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Looks like to me the ref disregarded or just didn’t hear Decker who walked over there to tell him he was eligible (and Goff told him to go over there to obviously report).

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Interessting trivia- Until 1948, there was no "ineligible receiver downfield rule". That why you see Running backs like Red Grange being #77, or Otto Graham #60.

Wonder what would happen to offenses if they eliminated this rule?

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
They just went over it on sportscenter. That’s not what happened. Theyre saying Reynolds was not on the line making Decker eligible. This is an epic 17 up.
To quote Jimmy Johnson, “Thank you to the millions of Cowboy fans. And thank you to the millions that hate them”

Point the finger at Detroit. They had TWO more opportunities AFTER that play.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
To quote Jimmy Johnson, “Thank you to the millions of Cowboy fans. And thank you to the millions that hate them”

Point the finger at Detroit. They had TWO more opportunities AFTER that play.
Me hating or not hating the cowboys has nothing to with the fact that Detroit got 17ed by the refs.

The video evidence is there.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
If you think this was any other team they would make such a fuss?
HELL NO. And we all know it.

They hated Al Davis because he was brilliant and forced their hand and won. They hate Jerry, rightfully so, because he’s got the most valuable franchise on the planet because of his business moves, but he’s a prick.

If the sob ever gets the hell out of his own way his franchise will dominate and they know it.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Nah …Lions didn’t get 17ed. They shouldn’t have even had the ball in the first place if the refs don’t call tripping on the wrong team on the cowboys final possession …

That is something I haven’t heard much of. The only reason the Lions lineman was wide open is because the defense didn’t think he was eligible. You could see the referee go over to the Cowboys defense and tell them that #70 was reporting as eligible. So why would they defend 68 at all if they didn’t think he was eligible? If the Cowboys defense knew he was eligible, they probably would’ve played it differently.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You do understand perspective, right? The receivers front foot is aligned with 68s back foot in that shot. Look at the receivers back foot. It is almost on the 5. The angle makes it look like they are close to even.
One thing we can’t see is the line judges. The receiver may off the line leaving 68 uncovered. If the ref didn’t announce 68 as eligible receiver to the defense, it doesn’t matter anyway.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Nah …Lions didn’t get 17ed. They shouldn’t have even had the ball in the first place if the refs don’t call tripping on the wrong team on the cowboys final possession …

I wondered about that when it was called, but I never saw a replay.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
At a gut level, feels like Lions got at least a little bit 17'd by the umps. But nothing like how they 17'd themselves by going Tin Cup Roy McAvoy and not then simply kicking the XP. Zero reason not to play for OT once they got backed up.
Yes that’s the boneheaded part. Just go for the tie.

Reactions: dorndawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Maybe the refs did 17 up by saying the wrong guy reported, but I've got a feeling if they'd said 68 is eligible, then 68 wouldn't have been wide open in the end zone.

Also, Detroit can ***** till all the cows report back home, but they were doing some sketchy **** trying to confuse everybody on who was eligible, and it confused the refs too. Reaped what they sowed.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Maybe the refs did 17 up by saying the wrong guy reported, but I've got a feeling if they'd said 68 is eligible, then 68 wouldn't have been wide open in the end zone.

Also, Detroit can ***** till all the cows report back home, but they were doing some sketchy **** trying to confuse everybody on who was eligible, and it confused the refs too. Reaped what they sowed.
Yeah, I didn’t understand having three OL all running up to the official at the same time other than trying to be deceptive. But the whole point of reporting and announcing it is so everyone knows what’s going on

Reactions: She Mate Me

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
The NFL doesn’t want the cowboys to win!!1!!!1!11
Apparently not. That's why they screwed them on the tripping call. If that one had been called correctly that last Lion TD would have never happened. Lions coach was a dufus for not just kicking the XP after the penalty. Going for 2 from the 7 yard line when you can tie with an XP is just stupid.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login