How can anybody look at this list and not love the portal?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
In regards to MSU, of course: https://247sports.com/college/missi...Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24104

Outside of kicking, which is oddball, all of our incoming guys came from P5. Brule is the only real loss, and honestly, that doesn't happen if Johnson doesn't come on strong. 2 4-star WRs and a 4-star CB, how often do we get those?

Last year, we essentially trade Payton and Spivey for Polk and Calvin, and add Charlton and Green, who both started. I'll take that all day. All P5 guys since UCF is essentially that.

Year before that, can anyone truly deny the talent of Costello and Shavers? And then Lashley actually started, so hard to say he wasn't a good take. If not for COVID 2020 probably turns out a good bit different. And then Ruiz, we all know what he did. Lost Lovett and Jones, and they were cancers. Reese was the only real one.

We are in the perfect position, being a have-not inside the SEC and P5. We will only lose dead weight to G5, but will benefit from those guys looking to jump up. We also will be able to take the SEC have's leftovers, who are obviously good players and want to play (with a chip on their shoulder). All of this is based on playing time, and will generally operate outside the realm of NIL, since these players don't exactly have a huge brand when they come here.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Good points.

I have one thought.

That sidebar to the right on the 247 page has State ranked 41st. I'm looking for an extended list & a possible breakdown by team.

You'd think there'd be something similar to the recruiting ranking list but I don't see it...

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Good points.

I have one thought.

That sidebar to the right on the 247 page has State ranked 41st. I'm looking for an extended list & a possible breakdown by team.

You'd think there'd be something similar to the recruiting ranking list but I don't see it...
Rosey said they've been working on a way to incorporate it into the ranking somehow. To me, until they create a weighted ranking based on potential (i.e. their high school rating) and the number of eligible years left (age, essentially), it will be hard to judge. Personally I think they should have been doing this years ago for JUCO. I mean what is the rationale behind ranking a 5* high school player and a 5* JUCO player the same? You have more years available, and therefore more benefit, for the high school guy.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
You lost me at UCF is a P5. They'll make the jump to the weakest of the P5 but they've not been strong last couple years. Shavers and Lashley weren't good either. Neither played at their previous school.
Now this year, we seem to be doing better. OT is the miss. Rest looks pretty good if Robinson works out but he's got to replace our best WR, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
We are in the perfect position, being a have-not inside the SEC and P5. We will only lose dead weight to G5, but will benefit from those guys looking to jump up. We also will be able to take the SEC have's leftovers, who are obviously good players and want to play (with a chip on their shoulder). All of this is based on playing time, and will generally operate outside the realm of NIL, since these players don't exactly have a huge brand when they come here.

What about our star players looking to jump up and compete for championships?

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
In regards to MSU, of course: https://247sports.com/college/missi...Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24104

Outside of kicking, which is oddball, all of our incoming guys came from P5. Brule is the only real loss, and honestly, that doesn't happen if Johnson doesn't come on strong. 2 4-star WRs and a 4-star CB, how often do we get those?

Last year, we essentially trade Payton and Spivey for Polk and Calvin, and add Charlton and Green, who both started. I'll take that all day. All P5 guys since UCF is essentially that.

Year before that, can anyone truly deny the talent of Costello and Shavers? And then Lashley actually started, so hard to say he wasn't a good take. If not for COVID 2020 probably turns out a good bit different. And then Ruiz, we all know what he did. Lost Lovett and Jones, and they were cancers. Reese was the only real one.

So far the "haves" have not been poaching players from State. Our best players have stayed, and that's good!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m not shy about criticizing our coaches or athletic staff when I feel it’s due, but this is one area where I completely agree that they deserve some credit.

When it comes to the rankings, I get that a site like 247 really doesn’t have much choice other than to use objective star rankings, but I feel like we don’t really know the story until actual contributions are considered as well. For instance, if we lose a 4* QB to another school that ends up riding the pine while we snag a 3* that starts all season for us, in my mind… we came out ahead.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Hmmm . . . like who?

Could any player that gets lots of playing time for us transfer to Alabama/Georgia/etc. and get lots of playing time for them?

(I think not.)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, both schools had a similar recruiting game plan for years but that's changed for us in the past 2-3 years. With our recruiting focus having been changed with Leach's hire, it'd be interesting to see if that pipeline continues or dies down.

I kind of suspect the latter will happen.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Good points.

I have one thought.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but you can change the dropdown at the top of this page from 'Transfer' (transfer portal) to 'Recruit' (High School) to 'Overall' (Combination):
https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

I'm not sure where JUCO's fall. I assume Transfer.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is exactly what I was asking about.

Thank you.

Southern Miss doing work. The Eagles rank 15th and are the Top G5 school.

The Deion Effect has Jackson State at 35th-- the only FCS school in the Top 50.

Mississippi State is now at 44th.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You lost me at UCF is a P5. They'll make the jump to the weakest of the P5 but they've not been strong last couple years. Shavers and Lashley weren't good either. Neither played at their previous school.
Now this year, we seem to be doing better. OT is the miss. Rest looks pretty good if Robinson works out but he's got to replace our best WR, so we'll see.
That was the point. Charlton is the one guy we took that wasn't from a P5 (even though they are dang close to one), and he started for us. So, that's a good take.

Shavers was good. He looked very good at LSU. Other issues derailed his career.

Again, Lashley started. Case closed.

You say neither played at their previous school? Well no ****, that's the point, that's why they are coming here. The key that you don't want to acknowledge, is that Alabama and Georgia don't recruit bad players, and there's only so many spots on the field. In the past, those guys stayed where they were. Now, they are coming to help us.

All of these guys added more talent to our roster.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I won't worry too much about that until it happens. I don't think many players will give up a starting spot in the P5 (in a system where they are most likely succeeding) outside of extenuating circumstances, like a coaching change.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This is exactly what I was asking about.

Thank you.

Southern Miss doing work. The Eagles rank 15th and are the Top G5 school.

The Deion Effect has Jackson State at 35th-- the only FCS school in the Top 50.

Mississippi State is now at 44th.

The portal only serves to further compartmentalize the talent in CFB into tiers. It’s going to widen the gap between mid tier P5’s (like MSU) and low tier P5’s / G5’s like your UCF’s, etc. It’s also going to do the same for the gap between the upper tier P5’s and the mid tier P5’s. Same thing with NIL. It’s just going to carve the gaps that much further into stone.

Our coaches deserve credit for using it where they can. But nobody is jumping up to contender status from mid-level bowl status by getting the players that aren’t good enough to see the field at Bama or UGA.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think that's going to be the case too.

With that said, considering that Southern Miss appears to be doing well in the portal, they might be a G5 team to look at to see if they can make some noise in whatever conference they wind up playing in this year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The portal only serves to further compartmentalize the talent in CFB into tiers. It’s going to widen the gap between mid tier P5’s (like MSU) and low tier P5’s / G5’s like your UCF’s, etc. It’s also going to do the same for the gap between the upper tier P5’s and the mid tier P5’s. Same thing with NIL. It’s just going to carve the gaps that much further into stone.

Our coaches deserve credit for using it where they can. But nobody is jumping up to contender status from mid-level bowl status by getting the players that aren’t good enough to see the field at Bama or UGA.
I don't see how this can be possible. The top tier talent level will stay the same. It's literally can't get any better. Meanwhile our level can absolutely get better by taking back-up talent. Some will, and some won't. Then some of the low tier P5 talent will flow downhill, some of them will rise, some won't. So, talent distribution will actually be BETTER than it ever has been.

And we are suited very well to be one of those low tier P5 that moves up to second tier.

I don't think talent can be any more compartmentalized than it is right now.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm going to split the difference.

I think more than likely the portal itself makes it easier to move within tiers.

Doing better and rising from one tier to the tier above it will require increased effort among other different areas (e.g., high school signees & juco signees) in addition to the portal.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm going to split the difference.

I think more than likely the portal itself makes it easier to move within tiers.

Doing better and rising from one tier to the tier above it will require increased effort among other different areas (e.g., high school signees & juco signees) in addition to the portal.
Very possible. What’s going to happen, is dogfights for available talent. In other words, coaches will have to earn their outrageous salaries.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
So Alabama didn’t get better by adding future 1st round draft pick Jameson Williams? That one move likely wins them the natty if he had stayed healthy for the entire title game.

Even the elites can improve to become more elite. Never think that they can’t widen the gap ever further.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
How did Williams not break in more into that wide receiver setup at Ohio State?

Olave and Wilson were first team all B1G but still...

Was he outplayed in practice, Fields have favorites, or what?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So Alabama didn’t get better by adding future 1st round draft pick Jameson Williams? That one move likely wins them the natty if he had stayed healthy for the entire title game.

Even the elites can improve to become more elite. Never think that they can’t widen the gap ever further.
Sure but they are just shuffling around talent from one elite team to another. In our case it just happened to benefit Bama who is in our division. So Bama gets better, Ohio State gets worse, but they don't both continue to pull away from the rest.

And even still, had Bama not gotten Williams, who knows which 5 star buried on their 2 deep gets those practice reps and has become the next stud by the end of the season. Has overall talent really improved?

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
How did Williams not break in more into that wide receiver setup at Ohio State?

Olave and Wilson were first team all B1G but still...

Was he outplayed in practice, Fields have favorites, or what?

Olave and Wilson are also 1st rounders….both projected to go ahead of Williams in the last mock that I saw.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login