How do you adjust the 12-team CFP?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Six auto-bids makes sense with the Power 5. The Power 5 is dying. You could reduce the auto-bids to four. But under the proposed format, the four auto-bids would also get byes. Four auto-bid byes makes sense when you have six auto-bids. Do you get rid of auto-bid byes? Just four byes to the highest ranked teams?

Is there any chance they punt and say we are sticking with the 4-team CFP until further notice?

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

patdog

May 28, 2007
there’s going to be a lot fewer automatic bids. 6 automatic bids is only for the 1st two years. They were always going to cut it after then. Now they’ll probably go ahead and cut to 5 when the pac-12 dies, then 4 in 2026.

and yeah, I expect the byes to go to the top 4 teams. Whether at large or auto bid.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Auto-bids need to go away until we can get to a number of teams that mirrors what basketball/baseball tournaments have. Roughly 18-20% of teams make the tournament in those sports. Even with the 12-team playoff, football only gets 9%. Therefore, auto-bids are not fair, as it will absolutely punish the big conferences.

On the other hand, when has college football ever been about fairness? Perhaps it's the big money conferences' cross to bear. After all, the only way it was voted and accepted was because there were auto bids. Plus, it makes championship Saturday more exciting for the G5 conferences. AND - it's the top 6 conferences, not just any conference, so that generally ensures a G5 team gets in, but not a plethora of them. But honestly we need to get away from the P5/G5 talk because we don't know who is a P5/G5 anymore. Is the Pac-4 now a G5?

At the end of the day, after typing that out, I guess I can live with the auto-bids. But they aren't 'fair'. And they certainly need to be decreased now to 5. I don't want G5 teams purposely playing an all-G5 schedule just so they can go undefeated and win their conference title and get in because they know there are 2 spots available.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaroonSadness99

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Auto bids are stupid regardless of how many power conferences there are. Just take top 12 teams
I think with the SEC and Big Ten becoming mega conferences, they would be concerned that without auto-bids those two conferences would get 10-12 of the 12 bids.

That may be where this is all heading: SEC and Big Ten go and do their own thing. Maybe both have a four to eight team playoff separately and the two champs meet in a “super” bowl of sorts.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Auto-bids need to go away until we can get to a number of teams that mirrors what basketball/baseball tournaments have. Roughly 18-20% of teams make the tournament in those sports. Even with the 12-team playoff, football only gets 9%. Therefore, auto-bids are not fair, as it will absolutely punish the big conferences.

On the other hand, when has college football ever been about fairness? Perhaps it's the big money conferences' cross to bear. After all, the only way it was voted and accepted was because there were auto bids. Plus, it makes championship Saturday more exciting for the G5 conferences. AND - it's the top 6 conferences, not just any conference, so that generally ensures a G5 team gets in, but not a plethora of them. But honestly we need to get away from the P5/G5 talk because we don't know who is a P5/G5 anymore. Is the Pac-4 now a G5?

At the end of the day, after typing that out, I guess I can live with the auto-bids. But they aren't 'fair'. And they certainly need to be decreased now to 5. I don't want G5 teams purposely playing an all-G5 schedule just so they can go undefeated and win their conference title and get in because they know there are 2 spots available.
Anything that involves polls should be scrapped. They need to come up with some way to settle it COMPLETELY on the field, NO at large bids all.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How about this: You take ALL of NCAA football and organize it into 20 team leagues with two divisions each. Put them on a pyramid set up with promotion and relegation. The division winners play for the league title, both division winners in all but the top league are promoted, the last place team each division is relegated in all but the rock bottom league. Put the players on contracts, if a big team wants to poach a player, it will have to pay the team losing a player to do it.

Reactions: Maroon Pug

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think with the SEC and Big Ten becoming mega conferences, they would be concerned that without auto-bids those two conferences would get 10-12 of the 12 bids.

That may be where this is all heading: SEC and Big Ten go and do their own thing. Maybe both have a four to eight team playoff separately and the two champs meet in a “super” bowl of sorts.
SEC & Big 10 aren’t going anywhere. They’re going to have enough power the playoff is going to be what they say it will be.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Abolish all postseason except for the CFP, but expand the regular season to 13 or 14 games to make up for it.

Expand playoffs to 24 teams, with each conference getting an autobid.

Most programs start the season thinking they have a shot at the CFP, and nearly half of them still do on November 1 each year, keeping the fan interest sky-high. Yes, we know that the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world are going to end up winning most of the national titles no matter what the format is, but just having the shot at getting into the CFP and playing some games will reinvigorate fandom all over the country.

Reactions: jlove20

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Don't be surprised if the SEC & Big 10 demand multiple auto-bids because you know they can
Dont be surprised when the SEC & BigTen demand zero auto bids, because they know they'll ultimately land more teams in a 12 team playoff when lower ranked conference champs arent given automatic entries to the playoff ahead of the 3rd/4th place teams in the SEC/BigTen.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m gonna disagree with you here because auto bids seem to have helped the Missouri Valley when it comes to the FCS.

Dont be surprised when the SEC & BigTen demand zero auto bids, because they know they'll ultimately land more teams in a 12 team playoff when lower ranked conference champs arent given automatic entries to the playoff ahead of the 3rd/4th place teams in the SEC/BigTen.

They’re given automatic entries but they’d wouldn’t necessarily be granted higher seeding…

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I don't like auto bids in each sport. It knocks middle of the pack to slightly above middle of the pack teams out so some piss ant team that won the Smokey Hollow conference tournament gets in the tournament so they can be cannon fodder for a blue blood team in the first round. If 98% of the sports fans can't name two teams in your conference then you don't deserve an auto bid.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Auto bids are stupid regardless of how many power conferences there are. Just take top 12 teams
Agree with this as long as we take the committee out of the decision making process. I think all the schools should agree to 10-12 metrics and their weights to be imputed into a computer formula that will spit out a final determining number that ranks every D1 team in America. The top 12 slots will go to the playoffs. The rest can be used to assign the other bowl opportunities. I hate all the pundits _itching over what the committee did or didn't do. Computers can easily compute a ranking number. And I think most, if not all schools can come to an agreement which inputs into the formula will be used. Take the committee out of the equation and let them help all the schools on which factors go into the formula. And once the formula is set prior to the season, it's set.....NO CHANGING IT. The following year, they can adjust the inputs (delete or add) or change the formula as needed PRIOR to the next season.

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
Automatic Qualifiers for all conference champions is the best way IMO. Expand the tourney to 16; with 9 conference AQs. The remaining seven teams are the highest ranking non-conference champions. Rounds 1-2 at home Semis/Finals are neutral.

Lesser Bowl Games would be the de facto NIT.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Kinda ironic that the rose bowl was doing so much to hold up the new cfp and now who knows if there will still be a rose bowl. I’m guessing it won’t be with a PAC# team

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login