How do you even evaluate coaching candidates today?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
As we await the Stoops announcement, just as a hypothetical: How do you even evaluate coaching candidates today? It really seems like, all that really matters is how well they do at NIL/portal nonsense. They can be a whatever recruiter/developer/game manager/CEO, but if they can't play the new game the rest is of little importance.

Yet, it seems like we're making this coaching list the way we always would, based off the old metrics and not the new one?

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
As we await the Stoops announcement, just as a hypothetical: How do you even evaluate coaching candidates today? It really seems like, all that really matters is how well they do at NIL/portal nonsense. They can be a whatever recruiter/developer/game manager/CEO, but if they can't play the new game the rest is of little importance.

Yet, it seems like we're making this coaching list the way we always would, based off the old metrics and not the new one?
I think we are underperforming based off our actual talent this year. So coaching em up is key. So is getting buy in. A gimmick doesn't hurt.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we are underperforming based off our actual talent this year. So coaching em up is key. So is getting buy in. A gimmick doesn't hurt.
We don’t have much talent, especially on defense. We are underperforming though. That’s a bad combination.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

gotta be winning where you are.

hc experience

Recruiting ranking in their respective conference has to play into it. If you are a winning coach who is in the bottom 25% of your conference in recruiting, you might be a fit at MSU. Conversely if you are winning but also #1 in your conference recruiting, I’m not sure if you aren’t just out talenting people. You won’t out talent people in the SEC

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

You are right. Portal / NIL isn’t the only thing that matters. But its what matters far more than anything else. So they have to know the landscape.

As far as “playing the new game”, they don’t even have to be playing it themselves, they just have to know what’s happening and know how to embrace it. That means open and transparent communication between the staff and the boosters. The boosters have to be able to know who to go after the hardest, who to pass on, who to just keep warm, etc. You can’t have all the cloak and dagger horseshlt where the head coach tries to play coy / aloof to save his own ***. He’s gotta be in the mix.

At MSU, you might also have more targeted strategies. Maybe our coach decides to go with more dart throws on high school players, and decides to use big money on the portal studs. Thats one way to maximize our resources do that we aren’t blowing money on HS kids who are just pocketing OV checks and looking to cash in again a year later.

Reactions: dorndawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The evaluation should always begin and end with the mist important factor...

banana no GIF by Ethan Barnowsky

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
With a divining rod.

ETA: I watched some old Western with my dad when I was little and an albino used a divining rod to find water on a desolate ranch. I was in my 20's when I realized albino's don't actually have a 6th sense for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login