How does Perfect Game work?

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I know I've seen something about the ratings in the past on here. Is it just the players that are on PG teams and play in PG tournaments that get rated?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have a friend who has a rising 10th grader. He has a 9.0 PG rating already, P/SS, 5'10", 175 lbs., topping out around 87. He says it's all about going to their showcases. Doesn't appear to me that the kid is an elite level talent body-wise, but he did pitch some for his HS team last year in 9th grade, and it's a big school in Florida. He's one of those one-sport guys who has been 'trained' to a T, been doing pitching lessons forever. He's a good kid though, so I hope he makes it, it's his dream and he puts the work in.

10 years ago or even 5 years ago, I'd say that if you only recruit the travel baller showcase kids, you'll end up broke. And honestly I think that's what Lemonis did a lot of. But now.....the question is if they are simply ALL going that route. There are simply no more rec ballers who blossom once they get older. A big reason for that is that many of them quit baseball by then, due to the demands and costs of travel ball reality.

That's why you've seen MLB invest in inner cities and overseas, they need new ways of finding talent.

Last edited:

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Im just asking to better understand our recruiting. Like someone mentioned above it seems like we've been hurt by this strategy so far.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
You have to go to one of their events to get graded....I follow the PG rankings more than the grades.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I'm talking about how does one get graded. Can they get graded just being on their high school team or do they have to play in a showcase on a travel ball team?
To get a PG grade - you’re going to have to go to a showcase event

you can get a position ranking by playing in the bigger events

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
The days of relying on HS for next level recruitment are pretty much over unless you are an absolute stud but even then that will garner questions on why aren’t you playing against the elite competition to test yourself

the same is true if don’t play hs ball but only high level travel as we had contemplated running track in spring for school while gettIng ready for summer ball

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have a friend who has a rising 10th grader. He has a 9.0 PG rating already, P/SS, 5'10", 175 lbs., topping out around 87. He says it's all about going to their showcases. Doesn't appear to me that the kid is an elite level talent body-wise, but he did pitch some for his HS team last year in 9th grade, and it's a big school in Florida. He's one of those one-sport guys who has been 'trained' to a T, been doing pitching lessons forever. He's a good kid though, so I hope he makes it, it's his dream and he puts the work in.

10 years ago or even 5 years ago, I'd say that if you only recruit the travel baller showcase kids, you'll end up broke. And honestly I think that's what Lemonis did a lot of. But now.....the question is if they are simply ALL going that route. There are simply no more rec ballers who blossom once they get older. A big reason for that is that many of them quit baseball by then, due to the demands and costs of travel ball reality.

That's why you've seen MLB invest in inner cities and overseas, they need new ways of finding talent.
Travel ball and showcase ball aren't the same things. True, most kids in showcase ball came out of travel leagues. But there are also players coming straight out of high school ball. Rec vs travel really doesn't matter. I don't think it's as simple as you think with regards to why fewer kids are playing rec. It differs region to region. We happen to live in a region where USSSA is the thing, and your explanation of why rec isn't as popular is valid. There are areas where Dizzy Dean is the thing, and those teams are all star teams made up mostly of rec players. That's what you see in the Little League World Series that's on ESPN every year. It's obviously a big thing.

Showcase ball is a thing from about 12U upward, but coaches don't really get serious about it until about 16 U. Most showcases at that level include kids from different teams and such.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Donald Duck Money GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login