How has the AD job changed since we entered the NIL era?

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It seems like with the allowance to pay players, it would be more important for an AD to be able to raise funds and build relationships with companies and NIL agencies. This is going to be the distinguishing factor for programs in this decade much like building social media presence was during the last decade, but the AD will have to be more directly involved versus being able to hire talent to handle social media stuff.

The job has changed greatly over the decades, beginning more business than sports. Is the next crop of ADs going to be more business than the current one?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It's absolutely changed everything. We've seen it in our own comments here. Many of us have donated to the BDC for years so we can buy tickets or just to support athletics in general. But many of those same people (myself included) have been hesitant to give money supporting our NIL. It's pretty clear we're going to need support in both areas to remain competitive in the SEC - but we need an AD that can get alumni and businesses to buy into that idea. That's got to be the top priority at least in the short term since this is all so new to everyone.

I never really had a problem with Cohen. But this is perfect timing for a change.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Absolutely. Not only with fundraising, but with the types of coaches you hire. It's going to get tougher for the hard-nosed types unless you have a very specific recruiting plan.

I'm not one of those "EVERYING IS DIFFERENT" freakout types, but there are certainly shifts you have to account for.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yea, I'm thinking AD's now have to be excellent sales people who know how to put together successful fund raisers for NIL while at the same time not creating situations where the big donors think they're buying influence like AU.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
To be determined.

But survey what other athletics departments are doing to see where trends are going.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login