How insane would it be if both Michigan and TCU lose today?

Nov 29, 2017
It would be really funny if Tcu and Michigan lost, but I don’t think I can live with seeing the Gumps sneak their way in.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm pulling for TCU all the way. And just think, they lost their top RB last year to OM. Or did they ?? How many yards did he have in the Battle for the Golden Egg ??

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Today is meaningless for UGA and Michigan, they are in win or lose. A little more iffy for TCU.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Today is meaningless for UGA and Michigan, they are in win or lose. A little more iffy for TCU.
Not to mention I don’t see any way Michigan loses to Purdue anyway. K-State could beat TCU though. And then it gets controversial. Do you take 2-loss Alabama who didn’t have to risk anything today over 1-loss TCU?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I guess Bamer has a argument since both losses were close and on the road to good teams but I'd hate to see any team get in with 2 losses. I'm still pissed Bama didn't beat the schit outta tsun and I'd hate seeing them in the final 4. TCU's been kinda my adopted team living here in Fort Worth the last 20 years and I still have fond memories of what they did to tsun in the Peach Bowl. I'm pulling for them all the way but I feel it would be a long shot for them.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Let chaos reign.
Unless Harbaugh or Smart kicks a puppy at midfield while the cameras are on, I think Michigan and Georgia are in regardless of a loss today... and maybe even after kicking a puppy.

TCU losing, fairly or unfairly, probably puts Bama or Tennessee in that fourth spot (with Ohio State).

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Not to mention I don’t see any way Michigan loses to Purdue anyway. K-State could beat TCU though. And then it gets controversial. Do you take 2-loss Alabama who didn’t have to risk anything today over 1-loss TCU?
1 loss conference runner up > 2 loss team that didn’t win their division

patdog

May 28, 2007
1 loss conference runner up > 2 loss team that didn’t win their division
But who would you pick on a neutral site, an SEC team that was 2 plays on the road away from a 12-0 season or a 1-loss Big 12 team with a weaker strength of schedule?

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
As mentioned, three teams(UGA, Michigan, Ohio State) are in. Their seeding could change, but they are in. TCU is about 95% in. Only a TCU loss by four or more TD's could make things interesting.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think the committee has TCU, USC, Ohio State and Bama in rankings to set up the scenario where they can put Bama and Ohio State in. I really think TCU will lose today. It will be an all-Big 10 vs SEC playoff. The committee is waiting to do the circle jerk if they can make that happen.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
1 loss is better than 2 losses. That’s a fact. You can’t put one team in based on hypothetical Vegas lines

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
1 loss is better than 2 losses. That’s a fact. You can’t put one team in based on hypothetical Vegas lines
But you can put them based on earning it. Bama going 10-2 with 2 losses on the road by a last second field goal and overtime against top 10 teams is easily as impressive as tcu’s resume if they lose today.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Not by default it isn’t. If overall record was all that mattered, there would be no need for a committee. Strength of schedule and strength of the conference matters an awful lot. A two-loss non champion from the SEC trumps a one loss non-champion from the Big 12 every day of the week.

For some reason this is a foreign concept to so many for college football. In the NCAA basketball tourney you have big conference teams with 20-21 wins end up as 5 seeds while smaller conference teams with 24-25 wins end up as 10-11 seeds….and nobody bats an eyelash. Same with college baseball. But so many people continue to make the “2 losses > 1 loss” argument for college football like its somehow different.

And one more thing….the stated goal of the CFP committee - pasted on their website and everywhere else - is “to select the four BEST teams to compete for the college football national championship”. It is not the four most deserving teams, although sometimes they are one in the same. So yes, the answer to the question of what would happen if Bama played TCU on a neutral field does matter.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login