How long can we go on like this & still be considered an elite baseball program?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
How many seasons like this can we endure before we lose our overall prestige? How long before it completely trashes our ability to recruit well enough to regain our rep & swagger?

Also, how long before it starts to kill the magic that has been our fan support, atmosphere, etc.? Yes, we love our baseball, but we have not had to endure this level of continued ineptitude before.

I don't want to sound "chicken Little", but I'm beginning to get a little concerned about possibly losing the one incredibly special thing athletically we have consistently had at State. The one thing we could always claim as "the best in the country" or at least one-of-the-best.

Might we be flirting with this kind of potential disaster?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
An elite program is an elite program. 2 bad years doesn’t change that.

State’s claim to elite status is not just wins. It’s in large part due to fan engagement. To lose the elite status, we would need to lose fan support. That’s going to take several seasons of really bad baseball and a feeling that the athletic department is doing nothing about it. We’re nowhere near that point yet.

The program has survived worse stretches than this. Things aren’t great, but the world isn’t ending. I think Ole Miss winning it alp last year makes it feel worse than it is.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Alabama played a lot of football coached by guys named Mike and they look pretty good to me. We will be back on top soon.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
How many seasons like this can we endure before we lose our overall prestige? How long before it completely trashes our ability to recruit well enough to regain our rep & swagger?

Also, how long before it starts to kill the magic that has been our fan support, atmosphere, etc.? Yes, we love our baseball, but we have not had to endure this level of continued ineptitude before.

I don't want to sound "chicken Little", but I'm beginning to get a little concerned about possibly losing the one incredibly special thing athletically we have consistently had at State. The one thing we could always claim as "the best in the country" or at least one-of-the-best.

elite??

Jimmy Fallon Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
H0NESTLY: WHEN IT COMES TO &TATE ATHLETICS IM REMINDED OF WHAT MAMA USED TO SAY TO US KIDS——

“THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE ANYTHING NICE”

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
The only fools that consider this program elite are within the MSU fan base. Anyone claiming elite status is very much like OM morons bragging about national championships in football.

Reactions: ABiggerUglierJoe

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

State’s claim to elite status is not just wins. It’s in large part due to fan engagement. To lose the elite status, we would need to lose fan support. That’s going to take several seasons of really bad baseball and a feeling that the athletic department is doing nothing about it. We’re nowhere near that point yet.

The program has survived worse stretches than this. Things aren’t great, but the world isn’t ending. I think Ole Miss winning it alp last year makes it feel worse than it is.
These people are stupid.

We went through the “dark ages” in first decade of 2000.

came out of that with our best 10 to 15 year stretch ever.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The only fools that consider this program elite are within the MSU fan base. Anyone claiming elite status is very much like OM morons bragging about national championships in football.
True. As someone who has family and friends who cheer for other SEC teams, I can verify this. They thought State had a good program, consistently Top 25, and even that Ron Polk was a good coach, but not elite, at least not until we won a Natty. Ole Miss has one of those now too.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Starting rotation next year: Cijentje (sp?), Loftin, Kohn, Holcombe, Yntema

Return Hines, Forsythe, Mershon, Alford, Jordan, Chance, Highfill

Fill in a few more good arms and we are very good.

Havnt seen Kohn this year.

Missing on Skenes as a Friday night starter for us was brutal. Changes our season having a guy like him.

KC, Stinnett and others from last years roster not panning out killed us.

Houston Harding returns last year and that season is probably a lot different along with no injuries to Simmons, Sims, Auger

Coach has to fill gaps with guys that aren’t developing the way they should be. It’s not like we have fallen off of a cliff and are void of talent. We got caught not having enough good arms pan out and a lot of good arms have had injuries. Perfect crap storm

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Horseshit! The fans aren't the program. Neither is the stadium. It's about wins. It's pretty damn terrible.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

Last year was tough, and this year has been even tougher, but damn dude. Pulp the brakes.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I doubt any of our opponents are viewing us as an elite program.

We’re done as a somewhat competitive baseball program!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
11 games stats from

2023 Baseball Cumulative Statistics

Fielding - 21 Errors
Pitching - 5.91 ERA

Batting - .293 BA
27 HRS
99 runs scored

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
11 games stats from

2023 Baseball Cumulative Statistics

Fielding - 21 Errors
Pitching - 5.91 ERA

Batting - .293 BA
27 HRS
99 runs scored
Yup! Averaging 9 runs a game but have a 6-5 non-conference record against a below average non- conference schedule. Jurrangelo needs to pitch 2 games per week. 1 left handed and 1 right handed. Hopefully Gartman can right the ship tomorrow, but I suspect Cal will trot Greg Maddox Jr. out to pitch.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yup! Averaging 9 runs a game but have a 6-5 non-conference record against a below average non- conference schedule. Jurrangelo needs to pitch 2 games per week. 1 left handed and 1 right handed. Hopefully Gartman can right the ship tomorrow, but I suspect Cal will trot Greg Maddox Jr. out to pitch.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Last year was tough, and this year has been even tougher, but damn dude. Pulp the brakes.
Well I did ask how many seasons not games. So how many seasons of play like last year and so far this year before we become similar to what Nebraska is in football?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Probably another 5-6 losing seasons before it affects the program negatively. If our fans put this much time, effort, worry, money and involvement in football and MBB, MSU would be better off.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
You're a fool for this take. We had been considered by many across the country as just shy of elite status, with the prevailing opinion that we could not be considered "elite" until we won a NC. Had this debate several years ago on Rivals.

As has been pointed out by others here, being elite can include other elements beside how many NC's have been won. Winning the NC as we did eliminated the only real excuse I can recall anyone having in that aforementioned debate. Only a moron would equate our actual NC with the BS OM claims, none of which are by the acknowledged arbiter of the time.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Florida was ballyhooing having a record crowd of 8,000+ fans at their Miami series.

You can’t make a good College hitter in 11 games. We have a way to go with many good young players. Our pitching staff is a concern. Their performance is poor so far with some bright spots. Defense really needs to improve, but SPS’ers, we can get better. We are not falling apart as this thread implies. 14,000+ per game makes the other guys envious. We’ll turn it around. This start is not our normal.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Even though I wouldn't, I can imagine if my Dad had gone to Bamer, NC or Duke and be a fan and used to Nattys in Football & Hoops but in no way fathom being anything other than a Diamond Dog.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
I doubt any of our opponents are viewing us as an elite program.
He's not talking about right now, but the overall trajectory of things compared to the past. Once we could count on the baseball team to be competitive while having overwhelming fan support. Other teams and articles boasted about our program. Over the last few seasons however it seems like we can't build on success or at least make things consistent.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

BB30

Feb 10, 2023

How long have you been following our baseball program? We have endured things that were pretty close to this level in the past.

Yea, Ron polk round 2 did manage to make it to a WS in 07 I believe, but that team wasn't very good. They lucked up and got hot at the right time. The pitching on that staff was not very good.

we were in terrible shape as a program as far as depth and talent goes. JC struggled his first year or two and had to completely rebuild the roster.

his first few years we were bringing in 50+ kids in the fall including a bunch of juco arms, many as "invited" walk ons to try and field a competitive pitching staff.

we will endure and come out on the other side fine regardless of if Lemonis is the one to turn it around or not. This won't permanently kill the program. Only way our baseball program is permanently damaged is if the NIL stuff gets exceptionally big in baseball too.

if that happens, we are in trouble. Our ga base doesn't have deep enough pockets to get into bidding wars in 3 sports.

Reactions: patdog

HotMop

May 8, 2006

I dunno, Notre Dame football remains to be considered elite.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
How long have you been following our baseball program? We have endured things that were pretty close to this level in the past.

Yea, Ron polk round 2 did manage to make it to a WS in 07 I believe, but that team wasn't very good. They lucked up and got hot at the right time. The pitching on that staff was not very good.

we were in terrible shape as a program as far as depth and talent goes. JC struggled his first year or two and had to completely rebuild the roster.

his first few years we were bringing in 50+ kids in the fall including a bunch of juco arms, many as "invited" walk ons to try and field a competitive pitching staff.

we will endure and come out on the other side fine regardless of if Lemonis is the one to turn it around or not. This won't permanently kill the program. Only way our baseball program is permanently damaged is if the NIL stuff gets exceptionally big in baseball too.

if that happens, we are in trouble. Our ga base doesn't have deep enough pockets to get into bidding wars in 3 sports.
I'm posing a question, not predicting certain doom & gloom for our program. There is a number of seasons of very poor play that could eventually do permanent damage. At MSU that is likely a much longer grace period than most other programs, but there is still a number where, if the product on the field is consistently poor, a huge chunk of people will lose interest.

I do recall getting into it with some Nebraska fans several years ago about their status vs ours in football "at that time" & going forward...who had the better program at the time (They'd been looking down their noses at us). My take was that NU had lost their elite status, and though they clearly had an historically better program, ours had become better at that time, and probably had a brighter future.

I cited one of the reasons the fact they had to recruit nationally based on their reputation for competing for NC's, etc. because there is no "home-grown" talent in Nebraska. Hard to recruit people to Nebraska if you have become a consistently poor-to-average program. My argument was they had gone too far down for too long to reasonably expect to be elite again.

They were in denial. Their attendance figures since their heyday have dropped massively. even though they technically claim to still be very high in ticket sales, sold-out streaks, etc. The truth is their wealthiest alum have been buying something like 20,000 tickets per game that they offer for free. Even with that, their stadiums are no longer close to full. It's gotten so bad they are planning to reduce their capacity by 30,000.

If it can happen to Nebraska football, why could it never happen at MSU?

FWIW, unless you're collecting Social Security I've been watching MSU baseball as long or longer than you. I got to watch Bruce Castoria launch some majestic HR's while I was a student in the LFL.

Last edited:

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Well...just look at our basketball team if you need an example. They were on the cusp of being a national power in the late 90s and **** it away.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
I'm posing a question, not predicting certain doom & gloom for our program. There is a number of seasons of very poor play that could eventually do permanent damage. At MSU that is likely a much longer grace period than most other programs, but there is still a number where, if the product on the field is consistently poor, a huge chunk of people will lose interest.

I do recall getting into it with some Nebraska fans several years ago about their status vs ours in football "at that time" & going forward...who had the better program at the time (They'd been looking down their noses at us). My take was that NU had lost their elite status, and though they clearly had an historically better program, ours had become better at that time, and probably had a brighter future.

I cited one of the reasons the fact they had to recruit nationally based on their reputation for competing for NC's, etc. because there is no "home-grown" talent in Nebraska. Hard to recruit people to Nebraska if you have become a consistently poor-to-average program. My argument was they had gone too far down for too long to reasonably expect to be elite again.

They were in denial. Their attendance figures since their heyday have dropped massively. even though they technically claim to still be very high in ticket sales, sold-out streaks, etc., the truth is their wealthiest alum have been buying something like 20,000 tickets per game that they offer for free. Even with that, their stadiums are no longer close to full. It's gotten so bad they are planning to reduce their capacity by 30,000.

If it can happen to Nebraska football, why could it never happen at MSU?

FWIW, unless you're collecting Social Security I've been watching MSU baseball as long or longer than you. I got to watch Bruce Castoria launch some majestic HR's while I was a student in the LFL.
The reason you won't see it happen in my opinion is simply because of what you stated about Nebraska.

what killed them was the style of offensive play changing and the fact that they didn't have the skill players and plus athletes in close proximity to their university.

that shouldn't ever be a problem with the baseball talent our state and our neighboring states produce. Alabama, MS, Louisiana, Georgia, the pan handle of florida and even parts of Tennessee are producing some absolutely insane baseball talent. Some of the if not the best recruiting grounds in the country are within 1-5 hours of starkville.

we've had 1 and a half bad seasons after having I believe three seasons of 50+ wins in a row.

We would have to fall off for 6+ years in my opinion for us to do permanent damage and I don't know if that would kill it for good or not.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
The reason you won't see it happen in my opinion is simply because of what you stated about Nebraska.

what killed them was the style of offensive play changing and the fact that they didn't have the skill players and plus athletes in close proximity to their university.

that shouldn't ever be a problem with the baseball talent our state and our neighboring states produce. Alabama, MS, Louisiana, Georgia, the pan handle of florida and even parts of Tennessee are producing some absolutely insane baseball talent. Some of the if not the best recruiting grounds in the country are within 1-5 hours of starkville.

we've had 1 and a half bad seasons after having I believe three seasons of 50+ wins in a row.

We would have to fall off for 6+ years in my opinion for us to do permanent damage and I don't know if that would kill it for good or not.
Please excuse the bumping of an old thread, but I think the question posed is even more relevant now. Has anyone's opinion changed since early March? How about you, BB30? Sincerely not trying to call you out. Am truly just interested in finding out if what has happened since early March has changed your mind.

Not insinuating your take in March was wrong, just that perhaps things have gone off-the-rails more than most anybody would have really expected.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
We currently have a 2-star (at best) baseball program with a 5-star stadium and 5- star fan base.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
And just earlier this year, even D1 Baseball said this about our program. SMH.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_001704.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_001704.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 3

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think the board could use an update on this, if you're willing.

SOURCE

OVERALL
BATTING

BA - .285
OPS - .903

HR - 79
LEDBETTER - .325 HR - 11
HINES .316 HR - 21

PITCHING
ERA - 6.76
OP HR - 70

FIELDING
PER% - .963
ERRORS - 58

CONFERENCE GAMES

BATTING
BA - .256 OP - .307
OPS - .833 OP - .996
SLUG - .476 OP .570
RUNS - 128 OP 226

PITCHING
ERA - 9.84. OP - 5.21
OP HR - 53
OP HITS - 244
OP RUNS - 226
OP ER - 206
SLUG - .570

FIELDING % - .965 OP - .974
DP - 26 OP - 57

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

We need to write some big checks and pick up a couple "Skenes-Level" hurlers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login