How long does Sawyer Robertson stay at Mississippi State....

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Will Rogers could play 3 more seasons through the 2024 season so the first time Robertson maybe would see the field significantly is 2025.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Depends on his skill set and development. We know Leach legitimately leaves the QB competition open every year. I think SR will get a lot more garbage time reps this year. Rogers needed them last year. Hopefully Sawyer shows us something.

EDIT TO ADD: I think Sawyers athleticism is a huge plus. Leach seems to be open to using the QB as a running threat as seen with his recruitment of Parson. If SW can get 30+ rushing yards per game (and not -20 like Rogers does by betting sacked), it could be a gamechanger for Leach's air raid.

Last edited by a moderator:

patdog

May 28, 2007
You could just as easily ask that question about all 85 of our scholarship players. I'm way past worrying about who's staying and who's leaving. Just show me the 2-deep on opening day.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I agree on athleticism being the biggest factor. I really want to believe the rumors of Leach connecting with Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury on adapting his air raid with a run-threat QB. If we truly transition to that style of offense, Rogers will likely be at Memphis or USM for the 2023 season. I also expect Rogers to be less accurate this year with the downgrade at OT. One positive with Leach is that you know the guy starting at QB is the best man for the job, so I won’t question his decision.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Gone after 2022, unless Rogers gets hurt or he somehow just wins the job. And yeah, like you said, Rogers is the type of guy who stays here for freaking ever.

Aug 28, 2018
That's one thing I love about Leach, he doesn't give a rip what you were coming in. If you don't produce for him, you won't play for him. Everybody gets a fair shot to win the job and the one that is the most productive will be the man. If someone transfers due to lack of playing time, then that means they were not as productive as the guy ahead of him. Leach isn't worried about appeasing momma n diddy.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I really want to believe the rumors of Leach connecting with Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury on adapting his air raid with a run-threat QB.
I don't believe that at all. Mainly because Riley and Kingsbury learned from Leach, not the other way around. He (Leach) is well aware of the other offenses and modifications, and their strengths/weaknesses. To him, it's all about HIS air raid, and generally, he's the only one who can make it work without changing it.

Some people point to this Chris Parson dude and say Leach is changing. I don't buy that. He's a backup plan for Brock Glenn, and we're so stacked at QB now that we can afford to take a chance on a dual-threat guy. But who knows, maybe the guy can pass good enough to run the air raid, so the running part is just a bonus.

Aug 22, 2012
The benefit of Leach is that we don’t ever have to worry about QB. That’s the one position where we will always be solid. Part of me wants for Will to stay as long as possible just to put the passing yards career record so far beyond reach it lasts forever.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I agree. Fans get their feelings hurt because you lose a 4 star QB to the portal, but if he can't win the job, it doesn't matter.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
And fans will also get their feelings hurt, if Rogers isn’t named the starter in 2023. Have to trust Leach with these QB evaluations.

Feb 23, 2008
Probably gone after this year. His ceiling is probably higher than Rogers and

that's not to take anything away from Will. You've got to play it out and let the best man win. Problem with that is, Will is the leader in the locker room and that carries so much weight that I don't think there's anything Robertson can do unless Will has a K.J. Costello style come apart. If you're talking Will being here 3 more years, you can probably prepare to say bye to more QB's than just Robertson. As long as Will plays well and wins games, it's a damn good problem to have. I don't see Will being an NFL MVP in his future but if he can be a Danny Wuerffel type college QB, you take that as many years as you can as long as he's winning. Obviously it was much easier to win at Florida than here and maybe that's not the best example but you can be a great college QB without all the tools that others may have.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
that's not to take anything away from Will. You've got to play it out and let the best man win. Problem with that is, Will is the leader in the locker room and that carries so much weight that I don't think there's anything Robertson can do unless Will has a K.J. Costello style come apart. If you're talking Will being here 3 more years, you can probably prepare to say bye to more QB's than just Robertson. As long as Will plays well and wins games, it's a damn good problem to have. I don't see Will being an NFL MVP in his future but if he can be a Danny Wuerffel type college QB, you take that as many years as you can as long as he's winning. Obviously it was much easier to win at Florida than here and maybe that's not the best example but you can be a great college QB without all the tools that others may have.
Wuerffel is a good comparison. They are about the same size, and he didn't have just a rocket arm, was more about accuracy.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Leach to implement the never before imagined 3 QB's in the backfield system

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I would hate to see Will take a back up role but I expect Sawyer to win the job next year. I suspect everyone expects that. Hopefully Will will have a spectacular year and build some draft interest, but there is little doubt Sawyer has a higher ceiling. But Leach will play who he thinks he can win with and every prospect coming in knows that they are not gonna play early.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Robertson is good enough to take the job from Rogers, he’ll take it well before 2023. I expect Rogers will wind up a 4-1/2 year starter

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I feel pretty confident that injury would be the only thing that keeps Rogers from being our starter for the next three years.

I can’t see Robertson waiting until 2025 for his chance to start. I expect he is gone after this year unless something happens to Will and Sawyer is forced into significant playing time this season.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I guess I'm the only one that thinks Rogers will be drafted ...I know this years QB is supposedly pretty deep ...but comparing what Leech is saying about Will this year vs the last two has me thinking he has made huge strides on his footwork and decision making processes .

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm hoping rogers does well enough to go pro next year, we will see. I would really like to see someone like Robertson run this offense. Of course I would mind a Kyler Murray type either that could either zip for 40 yard gain or burn you for a 40 yard run. Be like playing madden. 4 verts if they cover run it

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
If you sign on to as a QB on a Leach team you don't expect to play until your junior year. Rarely has Leach started anyone early. His hand was forced here. All those Texas guys know how Leach operates. They know they have 3 years of waiting.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I’ve never seen Parson play live, but based on his highlight tape - plays he wants to showcase - he seems like a Bryce Young-type QB. Parson’s highlights show a QB uses athleticism to escape pressure and extend plays, not to take off running. A lot of his throws came after an absolute jail break from the middle of the OL, with him scrabbling while looking down field. We could’ve used that extra time with some of our woes at OL, but I wonder if that screws up the timing of Leach’s passing concepts.

Regardless, Leach going after Parson and Petty shows me he’s willing to look for more athletic QBs, instead of just focusing on Texas HS’ers from the Air Raid tree.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I don't think Rogers will be here 3 more years. Leach won't be either if he doesn't win this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login