How Many SEC teams dance?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arkansas needs a win over Vandy to get a bid, and Kentucky probably needs wins over Mississippi/Georgia and MSU to get one. Florida or Mississippi have to reach the finals. My guess is out of all of this, the SEC winds up with 4 bids.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I think UK has locked a bid up even if they lose in the tourney. They are 10-2 in their last 12, which will be enough for them.

So that's a minimum of 4 bids. If we lose to UGA or UK, Arkansas loses to Vandy, and Florida doesn't make a run, 4 could be it. But if Arkansas beats Vandy they are in. And if we beat UGA and UK, we are likely going to be in as well. You could see as many as 6 bids or as few as 4, but I think we end up with 5.

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
Kentucky probably needs wins over Mississippi/Georgia and MSU to get one.
I disagree. They are 10-2 in their last 12 and as they noted yesterday, have really started playing better when Jasper came back. I think the committee takes that into consideration, plus they are Kentucky. They will get the benefit of the doubt and I don't care how down everyone thinks the SEC is, but 12 conference wins in the SEC is impressive. I think they win 1 in the Tourney and they are in.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Tenn, Kentucky, State, Vandy, and UPig...the committee is now hoping they dont have Mississippi or Fla throw a wrench in things and force a 6th team

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I think Arkansas either needs to win a game or hope that there aren't a lot of upsets in smaller conferences that could turn a one-bid league into a two-bid league (ie, Elon beating Davidson). I think one of the two will happen and they get in.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
<font color="#000000">Arkansas</font> [20-10 (9-7), RPI: 43, SOS: 38] The Hogs closed out with a win over Auburn to stay above .500 in league play, but can't feel completely comfortable at this point. The Hogs beat Vandy in league play and now should get another crack at the Dores in the SEC quarters. Their nonconference win over Baylor still looks good. The win over VCU is decent, too. They are 5-4 against the RPI Top 50, which is solid.

They haven't "punched their ticket." However, like I said, I think they will get in.

patdog

May 28, 2007
to Vandy in the 1st round of the tournament. They're sitting on a #43 RPI right now and would be only 9-8 in a relatively down SEC. Good chance they'd still get in, but if things went the wrong way for them in the conference tournaments, they could wind up on the outside looking in.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
VegasDawg13 said:
<font color="#000000">Arkansas</font> [20-10 (9-7), RPI: 43, SOS: 38] The Hogs closed out with a win over Auburn to stay above .500 in league play, but can't feel completely comfortable at this point. The Hogs beat Vandy in league play and now should get another crack at the Dores in the SEC quarters. Their nonconference win over Baylor still looks good. The win over VCU is decent, too. They are 5-4 against the RPI Top 50, which is solid.

They haven't "punched their ticket." However, like I said, I think they will get in.

</p>is this:

RPI- 43
SOS- 38
5-4 vs RPI Top 50
Wins over Baylor, Vandy, MSU

They are in

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Exactly. Arkansas is as close to in as you can be without being completely in. A win over Vandy and they are definitely in. If they lose however, and if some upsets occur in the small conference tourneys and a few other bubble teams make big runs in the conference tourneys, then they could end up falling out. A lot would have to go wrong for them to not make it, but a win over Vandy is the only way they can really lock it up for sure.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And they had a better RPI (#41 vs. #43), played in a better conference (#1 vs. #4), and had a similar conference record (8-10 vs. 9-8). The Hogs are probably dancing win or lose, but they need a win to be sure.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
The only part we need to read is the part that supports your stance and ignore anything else.

An RPI of 43 is not a lock. There are only like 34 at-large spots. If enough teams win their conference tournaments that wouldn't get in otherwise, some teams that are currently in (like Arkansas) would be bumped out if they don't do anything to improve their position this week.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
8-10 to equal 9-7? There's a big damn difference there...winning conference record vs losing conference record means alot

patdog

May 28, 2007
"Similar" to mean "Equal"? Arkansas clearly has the advantage over them when you look at conference record. However, Arkansas's better conference record came in a worse conference.

I agree with you that Arkansas is probably in win or lose. But they're not a lock without a win.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
They had a 10-6 conference record (11-7 if you count the Big East tournament).

That proves 2 things about selection Sunday.

1. A good record in a power conference won't necessarily get you in.

2. The name on the jersey means nothing.

In other words, we will all be surprised by a few that are in and a few that are out come Sunday night.

C

Cains Major

Tn, Vandy, MSU, Ky, Om, Arky. With Fla. on the Bubble. dated 3-10-08, I think Fla. has virtually no chance. I think OM needs to win one at the SEC tournament. I agree with the rest.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
even if the Hogs lose by 15 on Friday, they are in.

Mississippi or Fla is going to have to win 2 games to get in

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login