How many would you trade for a national championship in football?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d trade our whole baseball history for a football natty. We all know your angle here.

The issue is, we ain’t never sniffing a football natty. If we pooled all our NIL together, we’d be 10th in the SEC.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I’d trade our whole baseball history for a football natty. We all know your angle here.

The issue is, we ain’t never sniffing a football natty. If we pooled all our NIL together, we’d be 10th in the SEC.
But folks say DK suckers up north are smelling one.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

I don’t really have an angle. Just have some fun. How many would you trade?

Basketball was tough, because I still remember Billy Donovan Florida going back-to back and how epic that was. 3 might be the number if they are consecutive the more that I think about it. Tough to put a number on baseball.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'd trade the entire baseball and basketball programs, and every other program we have, for a natty in football.

Reactions: bulldoghair

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I would trade 2 basketball for 1 football. For personal reasons I would not trade our 2021 baseball championship for one in football.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
They could pave over DNF and the Hump and make them parking lots if we could win a football natty.

• Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
I would say 2-3 basketball and probably 10-15 baseball.

That said, part of my basis is that, unlike baseball or to an extent basketball, I don’t think you can just stumble into a NC in football. So IF we were to ever win one, to me that would mean we were also pretty dang good for a few years leading up to it at the least. So I’m taking those expected good years into account with the above numbers.

• Angry

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
But folks say DK suckers up north are smelling one.
There are probably 50-60 teams who have a legitimate chance of finishing top 12 at least once over a ten year span. There’s probably 6-8 teams who have any chance of winning a natty, ever. Football isn’t baseball, OM is going to suddenly get hot and win the 12 team playoff next year.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
There’s probably 6-8 teams who have any chance of winning a natty, ever.

FYI, Since 2000 there have been 13 different schools win a football national title.
Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Florida, Texas, Southern Cal, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn

If you go back to 1990, it's 18 different schools.
+ Tennessee, Nebraska, Washington, Colorado, Georgia Tech

Then you've got schools like Penn State, Notre Dame, Oregon, A&M, etc that are not in those counts that are certainly capable of rising up and winning a Natty.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
FYI, Since 2000 there have been 13 different schools win a football national title.
Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Florida, Texas, Southern Cal, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn

If you go back to 1990, it's 18 different schools.
+ Tennessee, Nebraska, Washington, Colorado, Georgia Tech

Then you've got schools like Penn State, Notre Dame, Oregon, A&M, etc that are not in those counts that are certainly capable of rising up and winning a Natty.
The college football landscape has changed tremendously since 2000. Look at that list and tell me who has a legitimate chance at a national title in the next 24 years. I see eight , maybe nine.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I wouldn't trade our 1 Baseball NC for a football NC. I'm proud of our team of players that won the NC and would not disrespect them by diminishing their efforts. It doesn't matter because the NCAa doesn't allow trades.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There are probably 50-60 teams who have a legitimate chance of finishing top 12 at least once over a ten year span. There’s probably 6-8 teams who have any chance of winning a natty, ever. Football isn’t baseball, OM is going to suddenly get hot and win the 12 team playoff next year.
I would argue there are only 1-3 teams that could win a natty in football each year and its now purely about no restrictions on buying all the talent. There is no surprise that the teams that make it to the championship game paid the most in facilities, staff and players. You buy the championship, nothing new under the sun.

The teams that are #5-#12 are just fooling themselves about the chance they have in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dawgbite

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I know this will be controversial, but I would trade every single one of our javelin titles for a football championship. Throw in that men's doubles tennis championship, too.

However, if you're reading this Lucifer, the deal is off if it means UMiss wins a natty the very next year.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'd shut the whole baskektball program down permanently and bulldoze The Hump for one in football because I feel about basketball like Rocky Dog and retire the banner do about baseball. Until we have another one in baseball, I'm not trading **** for it.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I wouldn't give up 100 baseball titles for one football title, but baseball is my favorite. Yes, I know it's a club sport, operates in the red, yada yada. It's just a personally preference.

With basketball, you could get rid of both men's and women's programs, knock down the hump and make it a parking lot. I'd be willing to never win another basketball game for the duration of time that Mississippi State University exists for one football national championship.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
“Hey guys! Here’s a fun hypothetical question!”

..”we’d never win one with NIL! We can’t compete! I’d never trade our baseball national championship!”

Never change, SPS

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd shut the whole baskektball program down permanently and bulldoze The Hump for one in football because I feel about basketball like Rocky Dog and retire the banner do about baseball. Until we have another one in baseball, I'm not trading **** for it.
That's the biggest problem, we don't have an identity and do not know who we are. I struggle with basketball too, because I've seen it when it was working, and it was awesome. I heard a guy say once that, "we don't necessarily have the best basketball culture, but we also don't have an absence of one either". That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, it's been so long since we've done anything of significance. And MS hasn't been producing the basketball talent that it used to.

So what do we want our identity to be? Seems many want it to be football. Well guess what, Ole Miss kinda already beat us to the punch on that, so the best we could hope for is being a poor man's Ole Miss. And they are already a poor man's Auburn/Clemson. And I'm not talking about the school type - I'm talking about how they run their athletic department, i.e. putting all your resources into football.

But hey, if OM ends up making a serious run this year, and not just a one and done exit or a choke altogether, then maybe we can start talking about that.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

If consecutive my numbers would be:

Basketball 4

Baseball 40

I want a consistently competitive team to watch. National Championships require all the stars to align and are nice, but immediately you start looking at next year and quickly become dissatisfied. Give me a competitive product on the football field and I'm in. Think about the baseball natty, it was great for up to 12 months, tops, and then Ole Miss won. Even if someone else had won, once that year is over, it's over. Think about 2014 in football, great run early season, first team ever ranked #1 in polls, it's a distant memory. If it had been a natty year, it would be a distant memory. Live in the moment and enjoy each season's ride so you aren't perpetually disappointed. If we compete, I can enjoy the season.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I want a consistently competitive team to watch. National Championships require all the stars to align and are nice, but immediately you start looking at next year and quickly become dissatisfied. Give me a competitive product on the football field and I'm in. Think about the baseball natty, it was great for up to 12 months, tops, and then Ole Miss won. Even if someone else had won, once that year is over, it's over. Think about 2014 in football, great run early season, first team ever ranked #1 in polls, it's a distant memory. If it had been a natty year, it would be a distant memory. Live in the moment and enjoy each season's ride so you aren't perpetually disappointed. If we compete, I can enjoy the season.
Big Brother Tim GIF by Big Brother Australia

• Haha
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
THIS! A championship is great. It's fantastic. And its a great memory you can have forever. But other than that, it's only good for 12 months. I wouldn't trade years of being competitive at the highest level for a national championship.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
What day is it? I had to sign some legal paperwork a couple of weeks ago and I thought the lady was bull$hitting me telling me it was 2024!

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Would you trade a national championship in football for the existence of our baseball program? Like it will cease to exist

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
To your point, I recall finally receiving my NC plates over a year after we won and remember putting them on the cars and thinking the shine had worn off a little. Still have them on, proud as heck, great memories and all of that but a lot of water under the bridge (OM got one, 2 seasons of suckage, etc.) and time since that "never thought I'd see that in my lifetime" evening.

As for the hypothetical question, just seemed like a way to tee up yet another lecture that football is king and dare say you like BB or BKB.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
17 That.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login