How much does the upcoming 12 team playoff, and dissolution of SEC divisions affect the coaching carousel?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
In the BCS / CFP era, it seemed that schools with a path to finishing Top 2-4 in the country had a massive leg up and were able to poach quite regularly from the mid-tier programs. That was only 7-8 schools, max, that had that potential.

Now with the 12-team CFP, you’ve got 20-25 schools who have a shot to be regular contenders, with the right coach. I think you’ll see a lot more coaches staying put than in past years.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
All the more important reason to make a big splash hire and lock in somebody good.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In the BCS / CFP era, it seemed that schools with a path to finishing Top 2-4 in the country had a massive leg up and were able to poach quite regularly from the mid-tier programs. That was only 7-8 schools, max, that had that potential.

Now with the 12-team CFP, you’ve got 20-25 schools who have a shot to be regular contenders, with the right coach. I think you’ll see a lot more coaches staying put than in past years.
Yeah I think you see it becoming a little more like college baseball. Lotta schools can make coaches comfortable and give them a path to success/playoffs without having to grind in the SEC. In short it makes hiring harder.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login