How much would you pay a Jeff Simmons type player?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I know eleventy bazillion dollars is the right answer, but how much do you think that person is worth?

$100K/season?
$500k/season?
$1M/season?
$2M/season?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
In today's college football it doesn't matter what we would pay him. One of the elites would just pay more.
That's what sucks the most about all this for me. We looked way out talented last night. In addition to clueless from a coaching stand point.

We get G5 talent in the portal. We hire position coaches for coordinators because that's the only candidate to apply. You know hiring coaches isn't necessarily a money problem. It is a larger problem.

But getting players is definitely a money problem and teams like Tennessee has a 8 million dollar QB. OM is handing out money hand over fist.

So frustrating

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Pay for both lines. We can’t compete without them. Let the coaches coach up everything else. Don’t waste NIL money on skill players outside of QB. We have to be able to run and stop run. Block and pass rush. Focus all NIL money there.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would woop a girl's arse to get a Jeff Simmons type player right now.****

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
old woman GIF by South Park

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's what sucks the most about all this for me. We looked way out talented last night. In addition to clueless from a coaching stand point.

We get G5 talent in the portal. We hire position coaches for coordinators because that's the only candidate to apply. You know hiring coaches isn't necessarily a money problem. It is a larger problem.

But getting players is definitely a money problem and teams like Tennessee has a 8 million dollar QB. OM is handing out money hand over fist.

So frustrating
It’s why we need a niche and if we can’t find one, what you see is all you got.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Jahvon Quinerly just retired from basketball and mentioned in his public statement that he was thankful for the 7 figures that he made from NIL during his college career.

If you’re asking “who the 17 is that?”, you’re probably not alone. He was a Memphis basketball player that transferred from Bama, and he averaged 10 pts and a couple boards for his career.

My point is that if a guy like this is getting 7 figures, I still think that a lot of y’all are severely low balling what 5* elite football players are worth in today’s market. Jeff Simmons might get $5 mil today

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Jahvon Quinerly just retired from basketball and mentioned in his public statement that he was thankful for the 7 figures that he made from NIL during his college career.

If you’re asking “who the 17 is that?”, you’re probably not alone. He was a Memphis basketball player that transferred from Bama, and he averaged 10 pts and a couple boards for his career.

My point is that if a guy like this is getting 7 figures, I still think that a lot of y’all are severely low balling what 5* elite football players are worth in today’s market. Jeff Simmons might get $5 mil today
It’s not just today. Cam Newton got well over a million….15 years ago. The fabled $180k was just the down payment for the signature…..not even close to the whole package.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I doubt seriously ASU’s NIL is more than ours.

You think an AAC university in a huge west coast metro area with 50,000+ students and hundreds of thousands of living alumni has a smaller NIL fund than a rural school in North Mississippi? I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.

There are, maybe, at most - 3 or 4 P4 schools with smaller NIL than MSU. And ASU certainly ain’t one of them.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Forget Simmons, my guess is we’re not far off from $100k/year being the de facto league (SEC) minimum for a scholarship player.

Reactions: Seinfeld

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I know eleventy bazillion dollars is the right answer, but how much do you think that person is worth?

$100K/season?
$500k/season?
$1M/season?
$2M/season?
I dunno........maybe ask Ole Miss, They got about 3 of them on their team.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You think an AAC university in a huge west coast metro area with 50,000+ students and hundreds of thousands of living alumni has a smaller NIL fund than a rural school in North Mississippi? I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.

There are, maybe, at most - 3 or 4 P4 schools with smaller NIL than MSU. And ASU certainly ain’t one of them.
Listen to Thunder and Lightning’s podcast today. They address NIL. We aren’t losing recruits and players due to NIL. We are in the shape we are in because we have had 5 coaches in 8 years. This along with lack of recruitng prowess with Leach, ZA and David Turner have left our Defensive cupboard bare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I dunno........maybe ask Ole Miss, They got about 3 of them on their team.
From a former teacher of a OM DL, A little north of $500k beat out Tennessee.

I wasn't told any other details than that. Was TN not willing to go higher? Is that just for one year. No idea. But if TN is willing to give a QB $8million, they could beat that bid if they wanted.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Forget Simmons, my guess is we’re not far off from $100k/year being the de facto league (SEC) minimum for a scholarship player.
Not even close. I know what our entire budget is. That may be average at Alabama or Georgia but it's not even close at State.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

So frustrating
considering the fact that we fired our last two head coaches not named Leach after 2 and 1 years can you blame a DC at any other school for being wary of coming here? already got people wanting this years head coach and DC and DT coach fired after 2 games.... the only candidates we will be able to get are position coaches or DC's who either have one foot out of the door or have been fired

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Listen to Thunder and Lightning’s podcast today. They address NIL. We aren’t losing recruits and players due to NIL. We are in the shape we are in because we have had 5 coaches in 8 years. This along with lack of recruitng prowess with Leach, ZA and David Turner have left our Defensive cupboard bare.
this is really just not believable and defies common sense. Recruiting difficulties are directly related to a lack of NIL funding.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
No one will address the likely fact that Leach probably would have a solid team last year and this year with our current 'lack of talent'.
Last year Leach wins 9+, 8 home games, boatload of seniors. we are going on 2+ portal years which were complete whiffs that Leach would certainly have shored up the roster just based on all the solid players he pulled in the portal while here. you don’t go 11-2 in Pullman and Lubbock without being able to spot talent. That’s how he did it.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Last year Leach wins 9+, 8 home games, boatload of seniors. we are going on 2+ portal years which were complete whiffs that Leach would certainly have shored up the roster just based on all the solid players he pulled in the portal while here. you don’t go 11-2 in Pullman and Lubbock without being able to spot talent. That’s how he did it.
I also like how folks act like Leach didn't mess with NIL and portal. A ton of those players got NIL in 2022 especially, and check out this list of transfers: Jahmire Calvin, Jalen Green, Makai Polk, Randy Charlton, Steven Lasoya, Massimo Bascardi, Justin Robinson, Jordan Mosley, Jackie Matthews, Marcus Banks. Yeah, that guy didn't know how to use the portal.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

ASU doesn't recruit any higher than we do, rankings wise.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I also like how folks act like Leach didn't mess with NIL and portal. A ton of those players got NIL in 2022 especially, and check out this list of transfers: Jahmire Calvin, Jalen Green, Makai Polk, Randy Charlton, Steven Lasoya, Massimo Bascardi, Justin Robinson, Jordan Mosley, Jackie Matthews, Marcus Banks. Yeah, that guy didn't know how to use the portal.
Lol. And then look at the horrible whiffs in the last two portal classes. We let Lasoya get away and he’s probably better than anything we have on the o line. Don’t forget Nicholson and Collins at corner in the two deep at usc and penn state.

you Can not over estimate the damage Arnett Peterson and friend did to this program

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login