How would Dak do under ML's Air Raid System

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Exactly. He wasn't accurate enough for the Air Raid. He would run well tho. Same with Fitz. Fitz would be an interception machine. Imagine him rifling it to a running back 5 yards away....lol

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly. He wasn't accurate enough for the Air Raid. He would run well tho. Same with Fitz. Fitz would be an interception machine. Imagine him rifling it to a running back 5 yards away....lol
As a sophomore, maybe. As a junior/senior, was he really inaccurate? Inaccurate passers don’t become multi-year NFL starters too often.

Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson are about the only ones who truly accomplished that.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
As a sophomore, maybe. As a junior/senior, was he really inaccurate? Inaccurate passers don’t become multi-year NFL starters too often.

Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson are about the only ones who truly accomplished that.
Dak was not very accurate at State. He tended to throw behind his receivers a lot. He hired a personal coach and worked his butt off to improve his throwing motion for the NFL.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Dak was not very accurate at State. He tended to throw behind his receivers a lot. He hired a personal coach and worked his butt off to improve his throwing motion for the NFL.
It's called a back shoulder throw and very effective.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If he let him run, he'd flourish
No QB in history gets better the more the run becomes less of a threat.
And Mobile QBs are effective in every system. This one really needs one bc the system is so hard on the line

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I guess he was accurate his senior year if you consider 66% accurate. That's not too bad. Averaged 62.8 career. I know....you can now say " well if he dumped it off to his backs 20 times a game". My personal opinion is he would have struggled. But he might have been a better passer under Leach with improved receivers and more emphasis.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No QB in history gets better the more the run becomes less of a threat.
And Mobile QBs are effective in every system. This one really needs one bc the system is so hard on the line
Define “mobile QB”.

Cam Newton would be effective in any system. As would Johnny Football and a few others.

Pat White, Nick Fitzgerald, and dozens of others, etc, on the other hand….

One of those groups is much bigger than the other. It’s not exactly easy to go find a true “mobile QB”.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Define “mobile QB”.

Cam Newton would be effective in any system. As would Johnny Football and a few others.

Pat White, Nick Fitzgerald, and dozens of others, etc, on the other hand….

One of those groups is much bigger than the other. It’s not exactly easy to go find a true “mobile QB”.
What I mean is having a qb that has mobility is effective no matter what you run. LSU isn’t running the air raid. OM didn’t run the air raid last year. But they had QBs that could run that made their offense really tough to stop.

People are obsessed with mobility in this offense bc it basically has to have it bc the line is under such stress due to the splits and the fact the other team knows what we are doing. It’s not some magic specific to this offense. Its an element that helps every offense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What I mean is having a qb that has mobility is effective no matter what you run. LSU isn’t running the air raid. OM didn’t run the air raid last year. But they had QBs that could run that made their offense really tough to stop.

People are obsessed with mobility in this offense bc it basically has to have it bc the line is under such stress due to the splits and the fact the other team knows what we are doing. It’s not some magic specific to this offense. Its an element that helps every offense.
Well I agree with that. I guess I’m talking about putting it into practice, with the type QBs we would normally sign.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I didn't think Dak was an NFL QB.......UNTIL.......We went to the Liberty Bowl vs Rice. That's when I changed my mind. He picked apart the Owls with passes that were NFL quality. After that game, I knew he would be drafted by somebody.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
He did throw a hard azz ball. Maybe that's why I think Rogers throws are soft, I'm use to Fitz and Dak throwing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well I agree with that. I guess I’m talking about putting it into practice, with the type QBs we would normally sign.
Agree. Which is why the “wait until we get a mobile qb” is ridiculous bc what are the odds that guy can throw 45 times a game with any semblance of consistency. A coaches son who ran this in HS a struggles with it enough times, a guy from Stanford struggled as well.

Reactions: drumrcraig

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Leach would have run him off just like Schrader.... I'm sorry...highly suggested he seek playing time elsewhere.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I guess he was accurate his senior year if you consider 66% accurate. That's not too bad. Averaged 62.8 career. I know....you can now say " well if he dumped it off to his backs 20 times a game". My personal opinion is he would have struggled. But he might have been a better passer under Leach with improved receivers and more emphasis.
So his senior year average is basically what Will’s is this year.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Dak is currently the #6 all time in NFL completion percentage, #7 all time in NFL passer rating, and in his junior year of 2014 he was 14th in the country in passer rating... A year where his #1 receiver left early to run a 4.85 in the NFL combine. Dak's biggest reason for success in the NFL was that he spent his college career throwing into NFL windows because his receivers rarely got the separation other successful college QBs see.

Will Rogers in his junior year is currently 54th in the nation in passer rating for perspective... With a considerably better receiving corps.

Could Dak have run the ML Air Raid well... Absolutely. Would he have ever been given the chance, not on this planet.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Dak is currently the #6 all time in NFL completion percentage, #7 all time in NFL passer rating, and in his junior year of 2014 he was 14th in the country in passer rating... A year where his #1 receiver left early to run a 4.85 in the NFL combine. Dak's biggest reason for success in the NFL was that he spent his college career throwing into NFL windows because his receivers rarely got the separation other successful college QBs see.

Will Rogers in his junior year is currently 54th in the nation in passer rating for perspective... With a considerably better receiving corps.

Could Dak have run the ML Air Raid well... Absolutely. Would he have ever been given the chance, not on this planet.
This is the answer. 2015 Dak would have crushed the air raid. But he wouldn't have been on the field in 2013 and 2014 to improve enough to get to 2015.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Anyone who watched Dak (obviously some in this thread did not) know that his passing in 2015 was like night & day difference compared to 2013 & 2014.

Sophomore / Junior Dak probably wouldn't even be starter for Leach. But 2015 Dak could have had a very Patrick Mahomes type season --- 5000 yards, 40 TDs passing. Plus Dak was a better runner than Mahomes so he would have been more effective running, maybe still rush for 300 - 500 yards.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login