How would you improve this... or would you try to?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It appeals to the part of me that loves information but as Bill Connelly said, it's messy...

[FONT="]This is extremely messy, but I very much appreciate the effort from Miami’s SID staff here, lol. “Fourth-year redshirt sophomore” is definitely a thing now. pic.twitter.com/2khS9ifBL4— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) May 24, 2022 [/FONT]

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Maybe put a column of HS graduation year followed by the classification (FR, RFR, SO, RSO, etc)? That won't work for everyone but it might be a little easier to digest?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It appeals to the part of me that loves information but as Bill Connelly said, it's messy...

[FONT="]This is extremely messy, but I very much appreciate the effort from Miami’s SID staff here, lol. “Fourth-year redshirt sophomore” is definitely a thing now. pic.twitter.com/2khS9ifBL4— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) May 24, 2022 [/FONT]

I think we do a pretty good job. https://hailstate.com/sports/baseball/roster

Just provide class and eligibility in separate columns. Although it doesn't look like we are indicating RS or not in class, or else we just haven't redshirted anybody. But if you give their Class (including whether or not they've redshirted) and eligibility, you can tell how long somebody has to play, whether they've redshirted, and whether they have an extra year because of covid.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Seems to me that 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th year player would be the easiest. That's how I view it anyway. Then just add the class (fr/so/jr/sr) so you can easily discern eligibility left. And redshirt is necessary to know if you have that option.

So essentially - what Miami did.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd go to 4 years of eligibility and designate them FR, SO, JR and SR regardless of academic classification.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
A column showing remaining eligibility would make the most sense. Who cares about the other distinctions

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
A column showing remaining eligibility would make the most sense. Who cares about the other distinctions

Well, just to pick a completely random example, if you were say, a low information baseball fan looking over a roster and trying to figure out which non-producing freshmen and sophomores might still have hope of contributing, it's helpful to know if they've been on campus one, two, three, or even four years to know whether maybe they just need experience versus them just being what they are.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But that info is there for you if you want it. If I want to know about development trends, I’m going to the bio and stats.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
How about a column with two numbers - seasons completed/remaining eligibility. Would make it easy to see who's a seasoned player that still has a year or two to contribute.

So that column would look like this

2/2
2/2
R2/3
3/2
R4/2
2/3

etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login