Howell Observatory

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Does anyone have any experience with the Howell Observatory on campus? I’d like to give my kids the opportunity to view Jupiter and Saturn, but I don’t know how it to make it happen.

Any other observatories in MS would work. I’m sure it’s different than a normal business because it has to be at night with a clear sky.

Reactions: dorndawg

MaroonBelle

Aug 23, 2016
Believe it was damaged in a tornado a couple of years ago and not sure they have reopened it.

They used to have public viewing nights about once a month I think.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
If you go and look really really closely, you can see the wrinkles between the rings of Uranus.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
It been years, but the Rainwater observatory was great! Several large telescopes and people there to help you use them. It is worth the trip!

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
How the hell did French Camp Academy come to have an observatory?

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Don’t remember his name, but the band teacher from French Camp Academy did it as hobby. It grew from there. I haven’t been in probably 20 years, so not sure how it has changed.

Reactions: dorndawg

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with the Howell Observatory on campus? I’d like to give my kids the opportunity to view Jupiter and Saturn, but I don’t know how it to make it happen.

Any other observatories in MS would work. I’m sure it’s different than a normal business because it has to be at night with a clear sky.
Call the Physics department at MSU and inquire about it? There the ones who were coordinating and maintaining it years ago. Inside knowledge as a very close relative worked there for years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login