Hudspeth is primed and ready

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

ASWA prep rankings: 2 new No. 1 teams this week, including one first-timer​

• Published: Oct. 04, 2023, 5:00 a.m.
By
Ben Thomas | [email protected]
There are a pair of new No. 1 teams in this week’s Alabama Sports Writers Association high school football rankings, including one team who made it to the top for the first time in school history.

Gulf Shores (6-0) moved to No. 1 in Class 5A after Ramsay’s second loss of the season, this one to Class 7A Auburn, last week. The defending champion Rams fell just one spot to No. 2 and still received five first-place votes.

Mark Hudspeth’s Dolphins, off to the best start in school history, received 14 first-place votes and 209 total points. Gulf Shores had never even been ranked before last season. The Dolphins host Williamson in a Region 1 game Friday night.

In Class 7A, undefeated Central-Phenix City took over the top spot following four-time defending champ Thompson’s 36-33 loss to Clay-Chalkville last week. Both teams face ranked foes this week – Thompson plays No. 6 Hewitt-Trussville, while the Red Devils host No. 7 Dothan.

Clay-Chalkville’s nationally televised win in Alabaster last week nearly vaulted the Cougars to No. 1 in Class 6A. Unbeaten reigning champ Saraland holds the top spot by a total of three points (201-198). The Spartans received 10 first-place votes. The Cougars received nine.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We can't make a coaching search wish list without Hud. He's the modern day Bobby Wallace.
I mean, I get the comparison as far as always coming up as a candidate, but Hud is an actual legitimate college coach. He was successful at ULL and after struggling with sanctions, appears to have left Billy Napier in a position to win more or less immediately.

If he had exercised a little more control over the little head at Austin Peay, he'd probably be getting G5 head coach offers again if he wasn't already hired.

People suggesting that Brad Peterson be hired would be more similar to Bobby Wallace.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I mean, I get the comparison as far as always coming up as a candidate, but Hud is an actual legitimate college coach. He was successful at ULL and after struggling with sanctions, appears to have left Billy Napier in a position to win more or less immediately.

If he had exercised a little more control over the little head at Austin Peay, he'd probably be getting G5 head coach offers again if he wasn't already hired.

People suggesting that Brad Peterson be hired would be more similar to Bobby Wallace.
Should have promoted Todd Grantham in 2018 and let him hire Hudspeth.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don't actually think we should have hired Grantham, right? Just because Moorhead was the wrong decision doesn't mean Grantham was the right one.
Sometimes, yes. But it's more a product of comparing him vs. what we got, and wanting to carry over what we did from 2017 into 2018. The players liked him, he wanted to be in Starkville, and we could have fired him a few years later if need be.

This is the second time in less than 10 years that we've ruined a potential good season by changing shlt up. My biggest point here is that I know in life in general you should always look 5 years down the road, rather 5 months, when making decisions. But in sports, I don't think you can turn your back on good seasons. 1 good season can change a lot of things.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login