Hypothetical

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Another hypothetical. If Bama hadn’t completed a miracle touchdown pass to beat auburn, they would have two losses. But that one play didn’t make them any ‘better’ of a team than they are currently considered to be. So in theory, even if they had two losses, they would still be deserving of a playoff spot because they’re ‘better’ than the alternatives. Correct?

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
FSU got about the same treatment I’d expect if state were 13-0 with two p5 OOC wins.

UGA got about the same treatment as state would if we finally lost by 3 in the SEC championships despite winning 29 consecutive conference games and the last 2 CFP championships

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
I know going forward I would never tell anyone the status of an injured player other than saying they are day to day and expected to return.

its all about money and blue bloods and ratings. I think even SOS is skewed because you get so many blue blood teams that get the benefit of the doubt on how good they really are.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Another hypothetical. If Bama hadn’t completed a miracle touchdown pass to beat auburn, they would have two losses. But that one play didn’t make them any ‘better’ of a team than they are currently considered to be. So in theory, even if they had two losses, they would still be deserving of a playoff spot because they’re ‘better’ than the alternatives. Correct?
Another hypothetical. If Auburn had not muffed what should have been a simple fair catch Bama would have had the clock ran out on them not even having the opportunity to complete a miracle pass

Reactions: preacher_dawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The FSU team that had that impressive resume died the night Jordan Travis broke his leg.

The new FSU was 3-0 with three wins against North Alabama, Florida & Louisville.

They do this in the NCAA Men's tournament as well. It's necessary to do it for the integrity of the tournament. You can't put FSU in and give the #1 seed a bye to the finals.

On top of all that, the SEC, while not as strong as years past, is hands down a tougher conference and has the playoff resume to prove it. You cannot have a CFP without either 12-1 Bama or 12-1 UGA and consider it legitimate. Their hands were tied.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The FSU team that had that impressive resume died the night Jordan Travis broke his leg.

The new FSU was 3-0 with three wins against North Alabama, Florida & Louisville.

They do this in the NCAA Men's tournament as well. It's necessary to do it for the integrity of the tournament. You can't put FSU in and give the #1 seed a bye to the finals.

On top of all that, the SEC, while not as strong as years past, is hands down a tougher conference and has the playoff resume to prove it. You cannot have a CFP without either 12-1 Bama or 12-1 UGA and consider it legitimate. Their hands were tied.
This makes NO sense. Just wanted to let you know that. Idiotic viewpoint.

Alabama basically got a bye a few years ago with Cincinnati. It happens. You catch a break if you earn the top seed.

Reactions: CEO2044

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
I still want to see what Rodemaker does. Just me after seeing several games this year and last. Haven’t seen enough of him to KNOW, but thought he had a lot of promise. As much as JJ McCarthy does at the very least- but he actually throws downfield.

The rest of the team is damn good. Offense was missing someone to open them up last night- Tate has that ability. Unfortunately we’ve only seen a half of that.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No credibility now.

I’m still convinced the BCS did a better job.
For the record, BCS would have had Bama at #3, FSU #4, and Texas #5.

Not sure you can say that’s any less controversial. I don’t see how in the world you can put one of two 1-loss conference champs ahead of FSU, but not both of them. Even if you said Texas has to be in and Bama has to be out, you can’t argue that either one should be the 3-seed if you’re using the “undefeated P5” as trump criteria.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
What happens if Florida St blows out Georgia in the Orange Bowl? I know they won’t. But if they did the CFP committee credibility would be about zero. It would be hilarious.
It’s potentially 2014 all over again

ETA: TCU ended 3rd in polls after blowing out the rebs in the peach bowl after getting left out for Ohio State after the Big12 declared co champions with no conference championship game.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
This makes NO sense. Just wanted to let you know that. Idiotic viewpoint.

Alabama basically got a bye a few years ago with Cincinnati. It happens. You catch a break if you earn the top seed.
Put his on my campaign poster. Best endorsement to receive.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

And that is why college sports will never have near the popularity as professional sports. The pros will take the kinda bs you described out of the equation. That team was made up of a lot more than Travis and the rest of the players earned the playoffs too.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Twice in 10 seasons, there are more than 2 or 3 teams deserving to play for the NC. Florida State is arguably the worst team in both seasons.

Bama
Oregon
Florida State
Ohio State
Baylor
TCU

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama
Georgia
Ohio State
Florida State

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
No credibility now.

I’m still convinced the BCS did a better job.
I haven’t bothered to look it up to confirm, but I have seen several people post that the BCS would have given the same 4 teams as the committee every year besides this year with FSU and Texas. So it’s essentially the same thing.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Meh, I don’t like Harbaugh or the holier than thou air carried by Michigan and the Big Ten and after the whole signal stealing stuff, they’re extremely hard to root for.

That being said, 17 Bama and 17 the CFP.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
FSU got about the same treatment I’d expect if state were 13-0 with two p5 OOC wins.

UGA got about the same treatment as state would if we finally lost by 3 in the SEC championships despite winning 29 consecutive conference games and the last 2 CFP championships
I thought about that earlier, and feel the same. The only difference is the fact that you have people siding up with, and voicing their opinions, that aren’t necessarily FSU fans. I don’t see them really giving a rats a** if it happened to State.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I haven’t bothered to look it up to confirm, but I have seen several people post that the BCS would have given the same 4 teams as the committee every year besides this year with FSU and Texas. So it’s essentially the same thing.
This year the simulated BCS had Bama #3, FSU #4, Texas #5.

Kind of makes me glad there’s a committee. I think they made the correct call that you can’t have that FSU team split between Bama and Texas. They had to either be ahead of both, or behind both. That 13-0 either matters, or it doesn’t. Can’t say it only matters when compared to Bama, but not compared to Texas (or vice versa), when both Bama and Texas had every other possible resume advantage besides having a loss.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login