I’m investing in basketball again

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I was cautiously optimistic about Jans when we hired, but knew he would have a ways to go. I was drawn in to the start of the season with the wins and hustle, got me all wooly. We slipped up early in conference play due to tougher competition and the inability to make a FT, which was very frustrating. But these last three games we’ve stepped up and delivered when we had to. We haven’t done that in a decade. I always felt like with Howland when he would get a big w and the fans were ready to buy in, we’d fall flat on our face the next game. Rinse and repeat. We very well may have a slip up like that this season, but I’m excited about MSU basketball for the first time in a while

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I was cautiously optimistic about Jans when we hired, but knew he would have a ways to go. I was drawn in to the start of the season with the wins and hustle, got me all wooly. We slipped up early in conference play due to tougher competition and the inability to make a FT, which was very frustrating. But these last three games we’ve stepped up and delivered when we had to. We haven’t done that in a decade. I always felt like with Howland when he would get a big w and the fans were ready to buy in, we’d fall flat on our face the next game. Rinse and repeat. We very well may have a slip up like that this season, but I’m excited about MSU basketball for the first time in a while
Let's revisit this in a year............Hmmm, wonder what will we be like next year w/o Tolu?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
At this point I'd be disappointed if this team is 1 and done in the dance. If we can hit +25% from 3 and +70% from the FT line from here on out we're going to be tough.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
At this point I'd be disappointed if this team is 1 and done in the dance. If we can hit +25% from 3 and +70% from the FT line from here on out we're going to be tough.
I would be ecstatic if they just made the tournament. They still have a ton of work to get there. I fear the free throw boogie man is going to get them in one of these games they can’t lose.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Good lord, man. This roster has absolutely no business making the dance, or even the NIT really. The fact that we are even still in the tourney discussion in February is a testament to the utterly outstanding job that Jans has done.

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Let's revisit this in a year............Hmmm, wonder what will we be like next year w/o Tolu?
Ha! I am going out on a limb and guess you weren't voted "Most Optimistic" in HS were you? :) I get it's not always easy being a MSU fan but if we can't ever see any positives and are always thinking about what is going to go wrong in the future I don't see how there is any joy at all in that and really what's the point other than an absolute miserable existence.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Under Howland/Ray I went to a few games but they weren't worth driving 2.5 hours each way for. I've made 2 so far this year and will make every game I possibly can the rest of the way. $10 tickets are a steal.

The Hump used to be hell for visitors and a great experience for State fans and it can be again.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Good lord, man. This roster has absolutely no business making the dance, or even the NIT really. The fact that we are even still in the tourney discussion in February is a testament to the utterly outstanding job that Jans has done.
I don't know that I've fully recognized this until this season. but I've realized this year that a lot of my enjoyment in men's basketball is tied to whether I feel like they're under or out playing their talent level. The Howland years were always hugely frustrating to me because I never felt like he was getting much out of the talent that he acquired. This year, I feel like Jans is getting an incredible amount out of guys that frankly might not even make other SEC rosters. We'll see how things go, and his recruiting does need to pick up, but I've got a really good feeling about Jans right now

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't know that I've fully recognized this until this season. but I've realized this year that a lot of my enjoyment in men's basketball is tied to whether I feel like they're under or out playing their talent level. The Howland years were always hugely frustrating to me because I never felt like he was getting much out of the talent that he acquired. This year, I feel like Jans is getting an incredible amount out of guys that frankly might not even make other SEC rosters. We'll see how things go, and his recruiting does need to pick up, but I've got a really good feeling about Jans right now
This is where I fall in this. It’s the Land of Misfit Toys out there and he’s got them playing their arse off.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is where I fall in this. It’s the Land of Misfit Toys out there and he’s got them playing their arse off.

And we may be the Land of Misfit Toys for his entire tenure. Such is life in this portal / NIL hellscape. But he’s doing a great job with what he has, and that’s all you can ask him to do.

Reactions: drumrcraig

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And we may be the Land of Misfit Toys for his entire tenure. Such is life in this portal / NIL hellscape. But he’s doing a great job with what he has, and that’s all you can ask him to do.
Nah. MSU may not have the basketball culture of Kentucky or Louisville, but there isn't an absence of one either, like football. Jans will be able to get some talent here.

Seems like they are in the process of getting the high school recruiting portion of NIL squared away. That will help slightly.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Nah. MSU may not have the basketball culture of Kentucky or Louisville, but there isn't an absence of one either, like football. Jans will be able to get some talent here.

Seems like they are in the process of getting the high school recruiting portion of NIL squared away. That will help slightly.

You say that like no other SEC teams will be investing in NIL for basketball.

We’ll be in the bottom third of the league in talent going forward for the long haul, just like football. We were probably only middle third even in the early 2000’s heyday of Stansbury. That will still be fine if we keep getting the same effort / intensity as we are now with Jans. But we aren’t going to be outrecruiting any of the big names in the SEC…..even the Auburns, LSU’s, etc.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
They definitely play with more effort than any MSU team since Richard Williams was coach.
Jans is the real deal. And the players love him.

We're probably not getting into the tourney this year, so nobody should allow themselves to get too invested. But we've definitely got something brewing.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login