I already like this pitching coach better than Foxhall.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I thought we lost or was that just a case of New Year, Same Fighting Irish thing?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We may have started giving up some extra-base hits. You are correct. Our pitchers were throwing strikes. I like that after the walk-a-thon games of the recent past.

Reactions: stateu1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can't say for sure what Foxhall's strategy really was, and I don't like to pile on him, because after all he did win us a national title. But there's no question he called pitches, and that, to me, screams waaaaaaay too much 'management'.

Baseball coaching isn't that hard, scheme wise. Even Cohen, the over-thinker, will tell you that. It's mainly about recruiting, and then about the approach. Cohen liked to 'attack' the game, but Lemonis seems to let the game come to him, and focus more on analytics. Both can work, but it's also about the players you bring in.

Anyway, I say all that to say - throwing strikes is pretty damn basic. Make the other team beat you. And they surely will if you walk everybody. You can learn that by going down the road to any travel ball tournament - if you walk guys, you lose. Fill up the zone, even if you're throwing cheese, you often can compete.

Analytics really should play a lesser role at the college levels on down, in my opinion. It can be important in the pros where the talent is equal and you play every day. But youth ball to college ball is pretty basic. If you want to use them in college, it's more about using them to help you find the successful players.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can't say for sure what Foxhall's strategy really was, and I don't like to pile on him, because after all he did win us a national title. But there's no question he called pitches, and that, to me, screams waaaaaaay too much 'management'.

Baseball coaching isn't that hard, scheme wise. Even Cohen, the over-thinker, will tell you that. It's mainly about recruiting, and then about the approach. Cohen liked to 'attack' the game, but Lemonis seems to let the game come to him, and focus more on analytics. Both can work, but it's also about the players you bring in.

Anyway, I say all that to say - throwing strikes is pretty damn basic. Make the other team beat you. And they surely will if you walk everybody. You can learn that by going down the road to any travel ball tournament - if you walk guys, you lose. Fill up the zone, even if you're throwing cheese, you often can compete.

Analytics really should play a lesser role at the college levels on down, in my opinion. It can be important in the pros where the talent is equal and you play every day. But youth ball to college ball is pretty basic. If you want to use them in college, it's more about using them to help you find the successful players.
One big problem with analytics in the college game are the small amount of data you have to work with , especially when you throw out the complete mismatches (which would give misleading data). It has its place for sure. But you have to use it wisely & not be a slave to it.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Just about every college coach calls pitches. Henderson did. Foxhall did. The only prominent school I know that doesn’t is butch thompson at auburn and he called pitches while here.

that I said I totally agree with the last paragraph. Analytics are way too over blown in the game today. Works much better in the pros when you have 1000s or more at bats to get you that information

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login