I always wonder why stocks fluctuate so much

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
On short term basis. I mean who buys and then sells stocks quickly when nothing has changed and who are the people panic selling when something that happens 90% of the time, happens again, despite the company still doing much better than it’s historical past? Or why do people rush in to buy a stock and put too much weight behind it when it has made no real change from the previous week?
Then I read six pack after our games, it must be universal.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Nice Jethreaux. I see what you are doing.

Mississippi State fans are crypto fomo investors. Convinced we are the only ones actually buying and selling BTC based on this chart.

View attachment 25321

Last edited:

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Speaking of stocks, INTC is looking interesting. If it hits $20 that would be an awfully attractive entry point.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
There were folks back in the 2000s who spent millions upon millions of dollars to have the office spaces closest to the stock exchanges, as well as the fastest internet connections along with the fastest cat5 cables... solely to micro-trade on fractions of a penny. They made multiples and multiples of millions of dollars doing it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm more amazed that when a stock doesn't "meet analysts projections" that it then typically gets devalued and frowned upon and loses value. That stock may have shown a good gain, but, because it didn't "meet expectations" of someone that may or may not know what the whole story is it gets pissed on.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Fear and greed move stocks in the short term.

book value and earnings move it in the long term.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm more amazed that when a stock doesn't "meet analysts projections" that it then typically gets devalued and frowned upon and loses value. That stock may have shown a good gain, but, because it didn't "meet expectations" of someone that may or may not know what the whole story is it gets pissed on.

Projections are factored into price. When projections aren't met, a correction will follow.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I understand that, its just that who says the projections were correct to begin with? Well, its the ones making the projections, of course.......

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
It also depend on who the analyst is and who they work for. An upgrade or downgrade from CITI, JP Morgan, Goldman or RBC holds more weight than one from Jefferies, Wells Fargo or Piper. In other words you will see a bigger movement when a tier 1 puts a price target out vs a lower tier analyst.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There were folks back in the 2000s who spent millions upon millions of dollars to have the office spaces closest to the stock exchanges, as well as the fastest internet connections along with the fastest cat5 cables... solely to micro-trade on fractions of a penny. They made multiples and multiples of millions of dollars doing it.

They're still doing that.

Most people don't know that there are two stock tickers. The "basic package" one that us plebes use, and the real one that you have to pay millions to have access to. That's why all our tickers say "prices are delayed 15 minutes" or similar. The real one has no delays. So the brokers can see an order, see what the plebe price was when ordered, and see the real price, and swoop in for middle man profits.

An average of 1/3 of all 401k balances are parasited away by the bank running the fund.

An FTT solves this problem.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login