I am hearing we are out of the running for the Stanford transfer Montgomery.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
That makes the transfer portal a complete bust for Lemonis in this do or die season coming up.

It is very hard not to be pessimistic about our chances on the diamond this season. Hopefully we will know very quickly and don't waste any wielding the axe if things go off the rails.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
welcome to last week.
Germany Goodbye GIF by Team Coco

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What this board was missing was another thread on the same subject.

Maybe make this one interesting by declaring exactly where you are "hearing" this thing you're hearing.

I'm sure it's true, but those saying it never say where it's coming from.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What this board was missing was another thread on the same subject.

Maybe make this one interesting by declaring exactly where you are "hearing" this thing you're hearing.

I'm sure it's true, but those saying it never say where it's coming from.
What this board needs is more posters who can just ignore a thread instead of bitching about what someone else posted.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What this board needs is more posters who can just ignore a thread instead of bitching about what someone else posted.

I ignore lots of threads Big Pat, but I also have opinions I get to freely share in the ones that are really 17ing annoying.

There is nothing new to be said about the Lemonis situation, but if you want to keep rehashing the same ole opinions , I'll rehash my opinions of your opinions.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Honest questions: Do we know what the deciding factor was for Montgomery? Holman? Is it possible NIL was a factor?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Honest questions: Do we know what the deciding factor was for Montgomery? Holman? Is it possible NIL was a factor?
Who cares why? I always figured Montgomery to M-State seemed too good to be true. Can’t blame him for wanting to play for a program with a pulse.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No! We just have to be patient with 10 ERA and fielding like Keystone cops. You can see how quickly they are responding to our great coaching.
Fielding at least will be much better. Pitching? Not sure how much better.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I ignore lots of threads Big Pat, but I also have opinions I get to freely share in the ones that are really 17ing annoying.

There is nothing new to be said about the Lemonis situation, but if you want to keep rehashing the same ole opinions , I'll rehash my opinions of your opinions.
Can I rehash your opinions of my opinions? **
Seriously, I’m just kidding.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That’s depressing and not good to hear. I had hoped the other thread was going to be wrong, does not appear to be the case.

Id like a moratorium on baseball post… I’m still excited about football season and the baseball talk is a bummer. Maybe we can cut it out until at least the LSU game when we all realize we are ready for basketball season*****

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
That makes the transfer portal a complete bust for Lemonis in this do or die season coming up.

It is very hard not to be pessimistic about our chances on the diamond this season. Hopefully we will know very quickly and don't waste any wielding the axe if things go off the rails.

Current status of MSU baeball......Need one of your photoshop artist to put Lemonis in this picture.........

1691513615887.jpeg

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m still excited about football season and the baseball talk is a bummer.
This is what I suggest. And we can also be fired up about basketball.

But I think the biggest problem with baseball is that some of our fans think we are a top 5 dominating program that is supposed to land these guys automatically. We aren't, and never have been. We have never done well with these 5 star level recruits unless they were from the state of Mississippi. I still don't know how we landed Clark and Palmeiro from NOLA and Miami, but I'm guessing dumb luck. We live in the 4 star development area, i.e. top 15-20 level program, like an Auburn/Clemson/Oregon football. Cohen's understood that and his recruiting strategy worked. So far, Lemonis is trying to recruit like LSU/Florida/Vanderbilt and it hasn't.

So while I do think we will win next year (yes, even without Montgomery), I think we will eventually taper off for good unless we see some miraculous change in the culture of the program.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Looking objectively at our situation, why would any big-time transfer consider us. As fans we place too much weight on The Dude and its mythical powers of persuasion. Don't think big-time transfer portal guys are concerned with playing in front of huge crowds unless its in the post-season. They want to be elevated and compete for championships....we are doing neither.

Sep 15, 2009

you're hearing, or reading?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Even in Baseball, the Debbie Downers come out of the woodwork with their "we aren't crap, never have been good, face it, we will never be an elite program". That's BS to the max. Recruit like Vandebilt? Are you kidding me, as a program we have double the NCAA resume as Vandy with only 1 extra natty to their credit. It's all about the coach and right now Lemonis isn't coaching at an elite level. That's the admintration's fault not the program.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Even in Baseball, the Debbie Downers come out of the woodwork with there "we aren't crap, never have been good, face it, we will never be an elite program". That's BS to the max. Recruit like Vandebilt? Are you kidding me, as a program we have double the NCAA resume as Vandy with only 1 extra natty to their credit. It's all about the coach and right now Lemonis isn't coaching at an elite level. That's the admintration's fault not the program.
I assume you're talking about me. So I'll respond, because this discussion is interesting.

I would ask you to actually refute my post above. Every sports program has a niche. Tell me when we've consistently signed these 5 star level guys? Never. The MLB draft has consistently been an enemy of ours, because the ones we did sign often went pro anyway.

I don't care about resume. Vanderbilt has been able to land the top guys in the country, mainly due to a mix of academics, Nashville, and need-based aid. We don't have those things, so check your angry pride at the door.

Coaching is fine with Lemonis (well, except the pitching part the last few years). It's the recruiting that's suspect.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Even in Baseball, the Debbie Downers come out of the woodwork with there "we aren't crap, never have been good, face it, we will never be an elite program". That's BS to the max. Recruit like Vandebilt? Are you kidding me, as a program we have double the NCAA resume as Vandy with only 1 extra natty to their credit. It's all about the coach and right now Lemonis isn't coaching at an elite level. That's the admintration's fault not the program.
Yea, amazing how attitudes change. Flashback to just 2 years ago where we were National Champions, had been to 3 straight CWSs and 4 straight Super Regionals along with having the best college baseball facilities in the nation and rabid fan support. At that point these same folks were probably saying we could get pretty much whoever we wanted. Now we are back to poor ol' Missippi St who has never been a dominant program and shouldn't expect to be. These past 2 seasons have been rough but MSU still has all the ingredients to be a year in year out elite program with the right leadership.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yea, amazing how attitudes change. Flashback to just 2 years ago where we were National Champions, had been to 3 straight CWSs and 4 straight Super Regionals along with having the best college baseball facilities in the nation and rabid fan support. At that point these same folks were probably saying we could get pretty much whoever we wanted. Now we are back to poor ol' Missippi St who has never been a dominant program and shouldn't expect to be. These past 2 seasons have been rough but MSU still has all the ingredients to be a year in year out elite program with the right leadership.
Let's take that national title roster, and it's main contributors:

- Rowdy Jordan
- Tanner Allen
- Will Bednar
- Landon Sims
- Luke Hancock
- Logan Tanner
- Scotty Dubrule
- Christian Macleod
- Preston Johnson
- Brad Cumbest
- Kam James
- Lane Forsythe
- Houston Harding

Tell me which of those guys were drafted out of high school? Tell me how many did we get out of the portal from a P5 school? None. But most all of them were solid 4 star type players, which is plenty enough to succeed with. Bednar was a 5 star level, but he got hurt in high school, thus we got a little lucky there.

I don't get why some of you cannot think deeply enough to understand this. We can be just fine doing things like this. Did you like Yaegar? Ledbetter? Larry? What about Nate Lowe? These are guys from the G5. We can be just fine with those guys, especially since we have never landed the P5 guys since Chris Lotterhos.

My opinion here is independent of what happens to Lemonis. I am actually criticizing his recruiting strategy. But, like politics, very few posters here see the gray area here. It's got nothing to do with whatever it is you think our ceiling should be. Cohen built this program the correct way, which is why we were consistently good, even 4-5 years after he bailed.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Let's take that national title roster, and it's main contributors:

- Rowdy Jordan
- Tanner Allen
- Will Bednar
- Landon Sims
- Luke Hancock
- Logan Tanner
- Scotty Dubrule
- Christian Macleod
- Preston Johnson
- Brad Cumbest
- Kam James
- Lane Forsythe
- Houston Harding

Tell me which of those guys were drafted out of high school? Tell me how many did we get out of the portal from a P5 school? None. But most all of them were solid 4 star type players, which is plenty enough to succeed with. Bednar was a 5 star level, but he got hurt in high school, thus we got a little lucky there.

I don't get why some of you cannot think deeply enough to understand this. We can be just fine doing things like this. Did you like Yaegar? Ledbetter? Larry? What about Nate Lowe? These are guys from the G5. We can be just fine with those guys, especially since we have never landed the P5 guys since Chris Lotterhos.

My opinion here is independent of what happens to Lemonis. I am actually criticizing his recruiting strategy. But, like politics, very few posters here see the gray area here. It's got nothing to do with whatever it is you think our ceiling should be. Cohen built this program the correct way, which is why we were consistently good, even 4-5 years after he bailed.
Sims, Tanner and Bednar were all big time gets. Bednar got injured in HS so that helped. Where someone is drafted isnt a great indicator bc some guys make it clear they aren’t signable. Same with Loo, Jordan and Lofin.

But most college teams make their money Identifying the guys that aren’t obvious.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Looking objectively at our situation, why would any big-time transfer consider us.
You don't think the story on the outfield fence means anything? It reference all of the World Series appearances, all of the All Americans, the SEC Championships, all of the Regionals hosted and won, all of the Super Regionals hosted and won, and lastly the National Championship won. There's a hall under the bleachers in the dressing area showing pictures, uniforms, etc of all of the guys that have moved on to the Big Show. There's 2 bronze statues at the main entrance that show some pretty good players that played here. There's a Ring of Honor that grows every year of guys that have passed through here over the years. And everyone has heard of The Dude, listen to any interview from opposing teams that come here and they ALL mention it. We host opposing fans most every game in our LFL box (a majority of them parents from the other schools) and they just can't get enough of the hospitality, the stadium, the atmosphere and experience.

So yeah, "why would any big time transfer consider us"?

Now, NIL speaks volumes so it remains to be seen how we compete in that arean but don't sit there and ask a stupid question like "why would any big time transfer consider us"

Reactions: Darryl Steight

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Vandy can also give every baseball player any endowment money they’d need to come there. That’s literally the only reason they’ve had their recent success.

Florida is a huge high school baseball state, and has been forever. Plus, the state is booming, and it’s an elite public university.

Louisiana is the oddity here, because it’s a small state that somehow happens to churn out elite athletes at a greater clip than most anybody. It’s not booming at all, but they only have one school that kids want to go to.

Either way, with the current situations I don’t see how us or anybody in the SEC can recruit like any of the above. We just don’t have the resources, or in Lootie’s case, the fortuitous circumstances. All in all, I think we recruit well enough to be a largely successful with what we’re up against. If this pitching coach doesn’t work out, it’s gonna get ugly, though.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
You don't think the story on the outfield fence means anything? It reference all of the World Series appearances, all of the All Americans, the SEC Championships, all of the Regionals hosted and won, all of the Super Regionals hosted and won, and lastly the National Championship won. There's a hall under the bleachers in the dressing area showing pictures, uniforms, etc of all of the guys that have moved on to the Big Show. There's 2 bronze statues at the main entrance that show some pretty good players that played here. There's a Ring of Honor that grows every year of guys that have passed through here over the years. And everyone has heard of The Dude, listen to any interview from opposing teams that come here and they ALL mention it. We host opposing fans most every game in our LFL box (a majority of them parents from the other schools) and they just can't get enough of the hospitality, the stadium, the atmosphere and experience.

So yeah, "why would any big time transfer consider us"?

Now, NIL speaks volumes so it remains to be seen how we compete in that arean but don't sit there and ask a stupid question like "why would any big time transfer consider us"
Yes, it means something to you and me, but a transfer not so much. Especially in the shape we are in now. If all of what you mentioned meant something we wouldn't have the issues with the portal we have had, and we would have transfers lined up to come here. Two years is a long time for a 20 year old, our NC doesn't mean much to them when we have crapped the bed for the past two years.
In baseball, don't think you can blame NIL, most are looking to be elevated not compensated (yes there are outliers).

You tell me why would a bit-time transfer pick us?

Last edited:

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Even in Baseball, the Debbie Downers come out of the woodwork with their "we aren't crap, never have been good, face it, we will never be an elite program". That's BS to the max. Recruit like Vandebilt? Are you kidding me, as a program we have double the NCAA resume as Vandy with only 1 extra natty to their credit. It's all about the coach and right now Lemonis isn't coaching at an elite level. That's the admintration's fault not the program.
You can’t convince chicken little syndrome posters from any form of reflection. What have you done for me lately is all the rage. Who the hell knows how next year unfolds; unfortunately, the downers will continue their quest of State’s athletic depression. The history of State’s baseball was purely a flash in the pan. The decades of success was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. I choose to relish in a program that develops major leaguers and first round picks vs berating true freshman and sophomore’s from consecutive top 10 classes, who had to play much to soon due to high draft picks declaring early or being injured. I will continue to donate to the Bulldog Club and NIL, while you pathetic 17’s whine.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login