I am so ready to lower the banner "The Team That Played Alabama the Most"

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Thank You God Happy GIF - Thank You God Happy GIFs

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess I was today years old when I realized we've played them more than Auburn has. That's insane.

Reactions: Dawg84

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
MSU has played Alabama 107 times, Ole Miss has played Alabama 67 times
MSU has played Vanderbilt 24 times, Ole Miss has played Vanderbilt 96 times
How different would the historical view of MSU football vs. Ole Miss football programs be if these numbers were reversed?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’ll take what? Five years taking into account rotation games?
Right now, we've played Bama 107 times while Tennessee has played them 105 times. If they do the 3 permanent opponents starting in 2025 and Bama gets Tennessee but not us, then yeah, five years sounds about right.

If they keep the one permanent opponent (Bama's would be Auburn) and Tennessee just remains part of Alabama's regular rotation like us, then they theoretically would never really eclipse us. They would inch closer, then we would inch back ahead of them. The caveat to that would be if Alabama and Tennessee end up in the SEC Championship more than Alabama and State.

Auburn would theoretically move ahead of us in like 27 years, a little faster or slower depending on how often either Auburn or State appears alongside Bama in the SEC CG.

One neat thing I noticed about the win/loss record for Alabama vs the SEC is that both Texas and OU will come in as the only SEC teams with winning records against them:
Texas is 8-2-1 against Bama
OU is 3-2-1 against Bama

The closest current SEC team by win/loss differential is Mizzou at 2-5.
The closest Pre-2012 team by win/loss differential is South Carolina at 4-11.
The closest Pre-1992 team by win/loss differential is Auburn at 37-50-1 and Florida at 14-27.
Two of the founding members, Ga Tech and Sewanee both have a win/loss differential of 7 (21-28-3 and 10-17-3).

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login