I Asked This Question to Brian and Robbie for T&L…

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
But want to hear the Pack’s too. If you could bring one Starkville eatery or bar back which do you resurrect? For me it’s Halfway House and I feel a lot of folks forgot about that glorious place. The Philly cheese fries were a religious experience and the burgers were killer. I miss her all the time.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Hardly a complete list:

Cowboy's
Shoney's
The OLD Christy's
JC Garcia's
The Veranda
Mazzio's
The old Union Grill
The place in the Mini-mall that had breakfasts and Friday night steaks
The OLD Perry Cafeteria (miss the omelets and baked potato bar)

...of course, Mr. Cook

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I’m assuming Mr Cook was in that building that’s still by Campus Bookmart?

ETA: yeah just saw your location listing haha

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I believe we must be from roughly the same era. All of those places bring back some memories.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Petty's before the old man turned into SOB and service went to hell.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I told Mr Petty my freshman year that I was continuing the tradition of my dad of going there. From then on out he was always nice to me and my buddy. Everyone else got scowled at haha

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
But want to hear the Pack’s too. If you could bring one Starkville eatery or bar back which do you resurrect? For me it’s Halfway House and I feel a lot of folks forgot about that glorious place. The Philly cheese fries were a religious experience and the burgers were killer. I miss her all the time.

The Landing.

Loved that place.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Woody’s chicken strips.
The Blue Parrot delivery before food delivery was a thing. I wonder how many times I overdrafted my account writing a check for delivery at 11 PM when I was drunk and hungry?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Going to show my age her but it would have to be The Landing from the 1980's. You could be having a terrible week and walk in there on a Thursday night and all was forgotten. The bleachers, the pool tables, Ladies Night when the ladies could get free drafts and give them to you. Thursday night - Saturday nts were packed and Sunday afternoon wasn't bad either. You can still see the remnants on the east side of 45 on the way to West Point just before the Pony
Next would have to be THe CLub in Columbus. The football team kept that place busy from August - Christmas holidays hence our terrible teams during that era. It was not uncommon to see them (I won't name names now but most of the starters) lined up against the wall by the bar with both hands full of beers. Great music and dance floor, coldest beer around.
Just down the road from the Landing was "John's Grocery" aka The Woodshed back when you couldn't buy cold beer in Starkville so you had to drive to The Woodshed. Take a cooler w/ you get a bag of ice and it was cold before you got back to the city limits. The foundation is still there from the original but they moved the store across the street years ago.
Saved the best for last, Mac's Supper Club. I wish those of you that never experienced it could go back in time, there wasn't another place anywhere near that compared. Mac died in the last year or so I believe, hated to hear that.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I had a good relationship with him. He would give me free bud heavys at the Pettys behind the jail. Then one day he flipped the switch.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes and have the District Grilled Chicken sandwich on there. That was my favorite thing to get.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Flo & Eddie’s.

The only correct answer from my time there. Veranda was a solid restaurant also and gets an honorable mention.

Flo & Eddie's is one of the few places big enough to be a legitimate college bar but also have legit atmosphere and not just feel just like a box that you can get drinks in. I've been in starkville bars that I've liked since, but they've either been primarily restaurants or too small to be a good bar on a night you want to see a lot of people.

The bar that went at the end of mainstreet in the building where Mug Shots was for a while was also pretty solid on atmosphere and a decent size but didn't last. The tiki was also a solid option in good weather but again, didn't last.

For people there at the same time, those choices should narrow down my time at state to a 5 or at most 6 year time frame.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Although it was in a poor location and has terrible service, a well run Grumpy's in a better location would kill it.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Going to show my age her but it would have to be The Landing from the 1980's. You could be having a terrible week and walk in there on a Thursday night and all was forgotten. The bleachers, the pool tables, Ladies Night when the ladies could get free drafts and give them to you. Thursday night - Saturday nts were packed and Sunday afternoon wasn't bad either. You can still see the remnants on the east side of 45 on the way to West Point just before the Pony
Next would have to be THe CLub in Columbus. The football team kept that place busy from August - Christmas holidays hence our terrible teams during that era. It was not uncommon to see them (I won't name names now but most of the starters) lined up against the wall by the bar with both hands full of beers. Great music and dance floor, coldest beer around.
Just down the road from the Landing was "John's Grocery" aka The Woodshed back when you couldn't buy cold beer in Starkville so you had to drive to The Woodshed. Take a cooler w/ you get a bag of ice and it was cold before you got back to the city limits. The foundation is still there from the original but they moved the store across the street years ago.
Saved the best for last, Mac's Supper Club. I wish those of you that never experienced it could go back in time, there wasn't another place anywhere near that compared. Mac died in the last year or so I believe, hated to hear that.

Some that still applied to the early 90s. The Landing was still Thursday night - unless you go hijacked to ladies night at The Club. I got hijacked to there one ladies night, and met my future bride. And Mac's was legend. You haven't lived until Mac flirted with your girl and made up a dirty song about her. Another regular was Cheers - Tuesday $1 you call it. Stumbled back to fraternity row a couple of times from that. Also in almost 20 posts no one mentions Danvers???
But the original Cotton District Grill was the best. That afternoon happy hour was a GPA killer.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
What? Not one mention of the House of BBQ? Aka House of Death? Best steak sammich ever.

ed: I believe it turned into a dry cleaners

Last edited:

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Flo & Eddies, Lil' Dooey before it franchised, and Mexico Tipico back when it was good and had the lunch buffet.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Friday night spin the wheel at Cheers. You would mix and match so many different types of booze that it made Saturdays miserable, but that was awesome.

Either that or Roosevelt, "Sonny" Nichols BBQ out on 16th section road.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Anyone that gets excited about bulldog burger and mugshots shows that they weren’t around the OG christy’s in the 90’s. Epic burger.

Oh and give me my cafeteria back with the lady that would cook you a huge breakfast on the flattop for about $2. They ruined Perry.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Suzie Sudduth started Christy's in the 80's. Named it after her oldest daughter. It went downhill after she sold it. Only burger that ever came close in all my travels was the old truck stop in Newton.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login