I don't like moral victories.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You people don't read very well, do you? I said I don't like moral victories and I don't think this was moral victory. I just think we played well and lost because we made some big mistakes in the second half. I.
You have Kentucky is going to be Kentucky, and you add it all up to a last-second loss.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
There is no such thing. You either register a Win or a Loss. Someone said it would come down to free throws and they were right.

Free throws were not why we lost. This was a good game for us at the line. We lost because we gave up 56 points in the second half.

Stinks to lose but we are still playing good basketball right now. Just were outclassed by a more talented team tonight.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That last prayer by Sheppard fell and it was not a good looking shot it was a half toss.

I'm not upset that KY won on a prayer. It's obvious we can play better and we are getting great experience in these types of games.

Our season isn't made or lost winning that game tonight. And that's a great thing. We beat Tenn who is better than them.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Free throws were not why we lost. This was a good game for us at the line. We lost because we gave up 56 points in the second half.

Stinks to lose but we are still playing good basketball right now. Just were outclassed by a more talented team tonight.
There was a stretch in the 2nd half where Hubbard took 3 or 4 stupid shots way too early in the shot clock that he missed. During that same stretch, KY “brought the refs into the game” and wiped away our lead.

It sucks, and we had to have this game to have any chance of a manageable seed.

Apr 19, 2023
Hopefully, we work on covering middle ball screens. Once we adjusted to stop that action in the 2nd half, we gave up more room outside and they outshot us from deep. Great game though. Lots of positives.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
There was a stretch in the 2nd half where Hubbard took 3 or 4 stupid shots way too early in the shot clock that he missed. During that same stretch, KY “brought the refs into the game” and wiped away our lead.

think he missed 5 straight. About the same time smith fell into the shadows. Think we went away from smith too early. He was dominant early and we were playing our pace. Seemed like after those two threes coming out of half we strayed from the plan a little.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

What even is a manageable seed? There was a 15 seed in the Sweet 16 last year and a 9 seed in the final four.

We could equally go on a run as a 9-10-11 seed as we could lose immediately as a 5 or 6.

It’s all about matchups. And just playing well at the right time.

Even so, tonight didn’t sink anything in terms of seeding. We still have two Q1 road games, a home game against a tourney team, and some more opportunities for wins in Nashville.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
What even is a manageable seed? There was a 15 seed in the Sweet 16 last year and a 9 seed in the final four.

We could equally go on a run as a 9-10-11 seed as we could lose immediately as a 5 or 6.

Even so, tonight didn’t sink anything in terms of seeding. We still have two Q1 road games, a home game against a tourney team, and some more opportunities for wins in Nashville.
I get what you’re saying, but the higher the better unless you’re a 5. Which we won’t be.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

UK was 15 of 17 at the line. We were 12 of 17 at the line. Murphy missed the first shot of a one and one after a missed layup. In games against superior talent teams winning the battle at the line is critical.
I won't argue that our defense quit in the second half. UK, as always, is loaded with talent. Their ability to keep throwing players at you is impressive.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
We made some big mistakes in the second half. But I have to say I'm proud of the way that they kept scrapping to the last second hopefully that helps us somewhere down the line.
It’s not a moral victory. It’s a loss in a game we were favored in. Other than USC, the best chance we had for a win in our last 4. If we don’t steal one on the road, we have to beat USC or win a couple in the SEC tourney in order to be in the real tourney.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We’ve had a lot of moral victories against Kentucky in the last 15 years. Not any real victories though (except for a one-point SEC tourney win against the worst Kentucky team of the century).

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lets no over blow who kentucky is this season. They are very talented, but very young, and very beatable on the road. They are a projected (4-5 seed), where some of us want to be. Its a game where if we wanted to tip toe into the higher seeded waters we needeed to win... And we lost.

This is a Kentucky team that lost at TxAm, got blown out at USC, and lost to LSU on the road. The experts thought we should win. We let it slip away.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Lets no over blow who kentucky is this season. They are very talented, but very young, and very beatable on the road. They are a projected (4-5 seed), where some of us want to be. Its a game where if we wanted to tip toe into the higher seeded waters we needeed to win... And we lost.

This is a Kentucky team that lost at TxAm, got blown out at USC, and lost to LSU on the road. The experts thought we should win. We let it slip away.
Correct

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

They also got every 50/50 call in the last 10 minutes

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
We’ve had a lot of moral victories against Kentucky in the last 15 years. Not any real victories though (except for a one-point SEC tourney win against the worst Kentucky team of the century).
It's hard to believe that 2009 @ Rupp is the last time MSU beat uk in the regular season. I was at that game and told my (then 9 yr old son) to 'sit back and enjoy, these wins do not come often'. Did not realize it would be this long of a freaking drought. Living amongst these uk mofos is bad enough, especially when we lose one like this.
MSU showed that we are a tourney team, no doubt. That was an impressive battle despite the outcome.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Fouls 18 for them, 17 for us. Free throws the exact same. And techincally we went to the line more, because they shot 4 late due to just obvious fouling.

Cant and not going to fault the refs for this one.
late in the game the ball out of bounds went to them several times and look at the calls with 10 minutes left. For example, Matthews blocked a shot - all ball - and they called a foul. It was like that late in the game, and KY took the mommentum gifted by the refs and needed it. And watch the 50/50 out of bounds balls, 100% went to KY.

And with all that we still almost won, wild.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
late in the game the ball out of bounds went to them several times and look at the calls with 10 minutes left. For example, Matthews blocked a shot - all ball - and they called a foul. It was like that late in the game, and KY took the mommentum gifted by the refs and needed it. And watch the 50/50 out of bounds balls, 100% went to KY.

And with all that we still almost won, wild.
Maybe so. I just know watching the game, I never thought it was one sided. I'm sure there were times where the UK fans thought they missed some too. Certainly didnt see anything gifted.

In basketball, always going to be calls missed here and there just due to the pace of the game. End of the day I didnt see anything major, foul calls same, free throws same. No techs. No obvious misses. Seemed like a well officiated game.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Matchups matter but there are times where one seed better or worse matters a lot. 84% of 1 seeds make the Sweet 16. Only 62% of 2 seeds do. That's the biggest drop off from any seed, partly probably because they get almost a bye for the first round, but also because the top four teams really are generally a good bit better and that leaves the 8/9 seeds as unmanageable, as they only make the Sweet 16 at a 10% and 5% clip, respectively (which you'd expect; obviously not a lot of one seeds losing in the 1st round, so have to have a lot of 8/9 seeds losing in the second round for the 1 seeds to make it to the Sweet 16 at such a high clip). After the 8/9 seed, the chance of making the Sweet 16 actually go up for 10, 11, and 12 seeds (~16%, 17%, and 14.5%, respectively), not that far behind the 7 Seeds (19.1%), before dropping precipitously for the 13 seed and worse.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Matchups matter but there are times where one seed better or worse matters a lot. 84% of 1 seeds make the Sweet 16. Only 62% of 2 seeds do. That's the biggest drop off from any seed, partly probably because they get almost a bye for the first round, but also because the top four teams really are generally a good bit better and that leaves the 8/9 seeds as unmanageable, as they only make the Sweet 16 at a 10% and 5% clip, respectively (which you'd expect; obviously not a lot of one seeds losing in the 1st round, so have to have a lot of 8/9 seeds losing in the second round for the 1 seeds to make it to the Sweet 16 at such a high clip). After the 8/9 seed, the chance of making the Sweet 16 actually go up for 10, 11, and 12 seeds (~16%, 17%, and 14.5%, respectively), not that far behind the 7 Seeds (19.1%), before dropping precipitously for the 13 seed and worse.
Seeds matter for sure. Right now we are looking a 8-9 seed squarely in the face... which stinks. Hopefully can dodge that. Not sure we can get any higher than a 7 anymore and probably just as equally as hard to end up lower than a 10, barring a total fall apart.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe so. I just know watching the game, I never thought it was one sided. I'm sure there were times where the UK fans thought they missed some too. Certainly didnt see anything gifted.

In basketball, always going to be calls missed here and there just due to the pace of the game. End of the day I didnt see anything major, foul calls same, free throws same. No techs. No obvious misses. Seemed like a well officiated game.
First half we got a few. Second half 50/50 went all to KY. And we all know why. Nothing new

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

This is one time vs KY that the refs didn't hurt us. Overall, it was a well officiated game. Certainly not the type of officiating we normally get when we play KY.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I could
This is one time vs KY that the refs didn't hurt us. Overall, it was a well officiated game. Certainly not the type of officiating we normally get when we play KY.
I could show you at least 4 calls later in the 2nd half that they got wrong that gave KY momentum

You're right in that at least it wasn't blatantly obvious. Good refs that get to call big tv games know what they are doing

Reactions: eckie1

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Calipari literally told his team to “bring the refs into the game” by driving. They sure did, and they sure got away with some really questionable calls during that time. But, I’ve seen us have WAY worse refs against KY, no doubt.

Still, this was about the 5 minute window where the lead and the game got away from us.

Reactions: onewoof

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I just think we’re in an era of college basketball with a lot of parity and the Top 5 or 10 teams are all beatable by other good teams. It’s not like the years where you’d have a Kentucky or Duke or whoever that’s just killing everybody.

The Top 3 teams this year are probably UConn-Houston-Purdue in some order. I’d rather not play any of them, but if we had to, I think we could hang. UConn is probably the team I’d least want to see. And they’re all very good. But far from invincible.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

It is one of the reasons we lost. I know if the shoe had been on the other foot and we had needed to make 8 straight free throws in the final minute to win a game, we never would have been able to do it.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It is one of the reasons we lost. I know if the shoe had been on the other foot and we had needed to make 8 straight free throws in the final minute to win a game, we never would have been able to do it.
UK shot the same number but hit 3 more. We lost by 2. Free throws matter.

You are right about us hitting critical free throws!

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I get that, but this team is what it is and we had an above average FT shooting night relative to the rest of our season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login