I feel the equivalent of a 2014-type football season coming from basketball.........

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
.........and I'm actually fired up for football and baseball too. This could be a historic year for all our sports. And I'll be damned, Purcell isn't going away quietly.

1) We will have a renovated and different Hump, just like we had a renovated and different Davis Wade;
2) We have nearly our whole team returning, maybe even moreso, than football 2013, and you can just 'feel' the momentum building, just like we did back then;
3) We have added more muscle down low, along with a 2 shooters, one is an accomplished senior and one is a freshman;
4) We have a returning star player in Tolu;
5) We know we have a great coach;
6) We have proof that we have a good to great team, as we saw what we did against the best last year, and made the Dance.

Couple that with our extremely old football team, and a baseball team that's coming of age (and the odds are we simply will not suck any longer), it's time for some positivity around here.

Dare I say we have a SEC championship caliber basketball team? Considering we are a year older and actually added some important pieces, we have the girth to be a serious force and outdo 2014 football, especially with what other teams are losing. I know Kentucky got some more freshmen, but that's where our upperclass cancels that out. We have grown men out there and they have kids.

I'm getting old and have to enjoy this new era year by year. As bad as the doomsayers get about NIL and portal, overall I think we're in a pretty good spot in the immediate future. Might just be dumb luck but who cares.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I'll need to see the improved shooting to become a believer. We had transfers last year that were supposed to help and we still were awful from the field. I was at the TCU game that we won despite going on a 10+ minute stretch in the 2nd half where we didn't make any shots from the field (just dunks and layups). It's an agonizing product to watch at times.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll need to see the improved shooting to become a believer. We had transfers last year that were supposed to help and we still were awful from the field. I was at the TCU game that we won despite going on a 10+ minute stretch in the 2nd half where we didn't make any shots from the field (just dunks and layups). It's an agonizing product to watch at times.
Understand, but we've got proof of a good team, PLUS additional help......didn't have that last year.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
.........and I'm actually fired up for football and baseball too. This could be a historic year for all our sports. And I'll be damned, Purcell isn't going away quietly.

1) We will have a renovated and different Hump, just like we had a renovated and different Davis Wade;
2) We have nearly our whole team returning, maybe even moreso, than football 2013, and you can just 'feel' the momentum building, just like we did back then;
3) We have added more muscle down low, along with a 2 shooters, one is an accomplished senior and one is a freshman;
6) We have proof that we have a good to great team, as we saw what we did against the best last year, and made the Dance.

Couple that with our extremely old football team, and a baseball team that's coming of age (and the odds are we simply will not suck any longer), it's time for some positivity around here.

Dare I say we have a SEC championship caliber basketball team? Considering we are a year older and actually added some important pieces, we have the girth to be a serious force and outdo 2014 football, especially with what other teams are losing. I know Kentucky got some more freshmen, but that's where our upperclass cancels that out. We have grown men out there and they have kids.

I'm getting old and have to enjoy this new era year by year. As bad as the doomsayers get about NIL and portal, overall I think we're in a pretty good spot in the immediate future. Might just be dumb luck but who cares.
I am thinking we won't win the SEC championship. Inconsistent shooting will cause a couple of L's we couldn't overcome. But we will get better as the year goes on and we have the talent, defense, and now coaching to win a couple in the NCAAT. Yes, I'm expecting Sweet 16.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
We need 2 of Taylor, Fort, and Hubbard to consistently knock down 35% from 3. That'll immediately improve our team drastically and open up more looks for Tolu.

Scott is a very interesting piece. He might crack the opening lineup. Looks pretty good in practice right now. Time will tell, but our coaches are expecting huge things from this team. Do I expect to win the SEC right now in June? No, but it wouldn't shock me to see us finish top 3 overall in the conference.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Basketball is going to be exciting this year both men's and women's. We're returning most all meaningful production from last year plus adding key pieces on the men's side. I don't know that we'll win the SEC in men's but I'm glad to see us competitive. It's also good to see the women return to relevancy. Purcell will get the fanbase caring about women's hoops again. He has a job at State as long as he wants it.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I’m not going to set expectations until i see the schedule. Hopefully the SEC part isn’t as front loaded as it was this past year

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Dare I say we have a SEC championship caliber basketball team?
We should be better than last season, and I admire your optimism, but I think

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Ill watch every game just like I always do.
Ill be hesitantly hopeful just like I always am.

We have new big men, but nobody is a numbers guy down low besides Tolu.
We have shooters coming, but we had that last year(based on actual D1 shooting %) and our shooting was atrocious.

Since Jeffries is back for his 9th year of college ball, I expect him to play smarter and pick up fewer charges.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Ill watch every game just like I always do.
Ill be hesitantly hopeful just like I always am.

We have new big men, but nobody is a numbers guy down low besides Tolu.
We have shooters coming, but we had that last year(based on actual D1 shooting %) and our shooting was atrocious.

Since Jeffries is back for his 9th year of college ball, I expect him to play smarter and pick up fewer charges.
With Tolu coming back again, hopefully he will be consistently good from the charity stripe. That cost us a couple games last year. The whole team really should be better at FT shooting

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

With average 3 point shooting, we win 3-5 more games.

Janz can draw up a play to get guys open looks.

I've said this before. In the last game of the year. With the season on the line. Janz got us 3 plays and each one was a good look. 2 were WIDE OPEN shots. The other was your best player driving for a layup 1 v 1. That's a great coach.

If he has the guys to knock those down.... we could make a run.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

Just Relax Chill Out GIF by ABC Network

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
What I don’t understand is how bama basketball picked up the top transfer player(Center from North Dakota state) AFTER the world watched Charlotte fans boo the Brandon Miller pick.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
What I don’t understand is how bama basketball picked up the top transfer player(Center from North Dakota state) AFTER the world watched Charlotte fans boo the Brandon Miller pick.

Just follow the Money Trail.

Attachments

• paid-network.gif
    paid-network.gif
    210.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Darryl Steight

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My guess is that the transfer doesn't care whether or not an NBA fan base boos a draft pick.

Wild guess

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We just need to start finding a way to split with KY, BAMA, and UT.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Basketball is going to be exciting this year both men's and women's. We're returning most all meaningful production from last year plus adding key pieces on the men's side. I don't know that we'll win the SEC in men's but I'm glad to see us competitive. It's also good to see the women return to relevancy. Purcell will get the fanbase caring about women's hoops again. He has a job at State as long as he wants it.
You know, every time basketball is discussed it’s okay to not interject women’s basketball into the discussion.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's also ok to skip over a post you don't like the subject matter of. It's also really odd to then feel the need to stop and comment negatively on something you didn't like and could have skipped right over in the first place

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What would be the basketball equivalent to 2014 football? Finish Top 3 or 4 in the SEC, despite getting swept by Ole Miss and not beating anyone that’s a 5 seed or better by the time Selection Sunday rolls around? Then get upset in the first or second round of the NCAA tournament by some 7 through 10 seed team? No thanks.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It's also okay to enjoy women's basketball. We don't all have to be stuck in the 1910's like you seem to be
Sick burn. It’s certainly okay to enjoy, just not sure why it has to be brought up every time basketball is discussed. It’s equivalent to making comments about Samantha Ricketts when a thread is started about MSU baseball expectations.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login