I guess I can assume with the AD being quiet he doesn't care about baseball?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's crickets. Nothing. Say something even if it's you are coming out in support of Lemonis.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
If we suck again next year, the AD should be held accountable. What is his buyout?

Shi t on the field doesn’t often change into something else. It mostly stays shi t. We’ll all just be a little bit older.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If we suck again next year, the AD should be held accountable. What is his buyout?

Shi t on the field doesn’t often change into something else. It mostly stays shi t. We’ll all just be a little bit older.
Selmon isn’t getting fired over baseball, ever. Even if he was, he’s not getting fired a year and a half into a job over a guy he didn’t even hire. That’s non-sensical.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I hate to say this, but my gut tells me this is going to be the same 3 year swan song we saw at the end of Sherrill's era.

Whatever is wrong with this team has entrenched itself, and that's Chris' job to prevent from happening in the first place. How anyone thinks things will change without a top-down purge is baffling to me.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our AD has been here just long enough to start wondering WTF have I gotten myself into and is probably "shell shocked" at this point.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Good. I’m glad we have an AD that understands that baseball is towards the bottom of the totem pole
Says the guy w/ a profile picture of someone wearing a baseball uniform?

Odd statement about the "bottom of the totem pole". I just looked back at mens basketball attendance last season I see we drew a total of 122,787 fans w/ avg of 7,674. Then I took a look at baseball attendance for this season. We drew 332,838 fans this season in 30 home games for an avg of 11,095. Matter of fact if you add the women's attendance (total 81,542) to the mens and you are still only at 204,329 total mens/womens attendance compared to 332,838 baseball (128,509 more for baseball than men's/women's basketball combined) Looks like basketball is way lower on the pole here.............and that was in the worst season I remember here. I would imagine the stats are similar for the last decade plus?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What's there to say? We've already got a pitching coach lined up. Lem gets fired if it's not fixed next season. We're going to blow some portal money to pick up some pitching.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Odd statement about the "bottom of the totem pole". I just looked back at mens basketball attendance last season I see we drew a total of 122,787 fans w/ avg of 7,674. Then I took a look at baseball attendance for this season. We drew 332,838 fans this season in 30 home games for an avg of 11,095. Matter of fact if you add the women's attendance (total 81,542) to the mens and you are still only at 204,329 total mens/womens attendance compared to 332,838 baseball (128,509 more for baseball than men's/women's basketball combined) Looks like basketball is way lower on the pole here.............and that was in the worst season I remember here. I would imagine the stats are similar for the last decade plus?
I would add... I don't know our 2022 football attendance, but 2021 drew 346,455, so not a lot of difference between our top revenue sport and our top non-revenue sport.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

BAM, HEAD SHOT. . . . .

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I would add... I don't know our 2022 football attendance, but 2021 drew 346,455, so not a lot of difference between our top revenue sport and our top non-revenue sport.
Attendance doesn't really matter much in terms of revenue. It's all about the TV contracts.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Attendance doesn't really matter much in terms of revenue. It's all about the TV contracts.
So, that wasn't really to demonstrate an effect on revenue. It was to help establish that this "sport that doesn't matter" draws about as many fans annually as the "sport that matters most". It's a metric of fan engagement. though certainly not the only one.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The baseball cult doesn’t understand this
Whether you like it or not Skippy, neglect baseball at MSU while throwing several $100k ant Basketball players and three million or so ant football players, and you can cut the Hump down to about 3000 seats, and close the Upper Deck entirely at DWS.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Baseball was a revenue sport and has been for many years. The only reason baseball is not making a profit now is because of the new stadium. But how much was donated to the new stadium construction?.....seat licenses were a large part of it and some were outright donations. So how much did we actually finance?......I doubt any of us fans on a message board really know. If the capital expenditure in the new stadium (likely in some form of bonds) were not on the books, baseball would be bringing in a ton of money. After the stadium is paid off, it will be a big revenue sport again.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Ah ok, so the athletic dept doesn't care if lets say only 40,000 fans buy tickets to Davis Wade instead of 65,000? That's 25,000 tickets at $49 each for the first game against SE Louisiana or a total of $1,225,000.00 in non ticket sales that "doesn't really matter much in terms of revenue"? There's 8 home games this season or $9,800,000 that "doesn't really matter in terms of revenue"? Then there's the $8 per beer, food sales, the $200 season parking pass, shirts, hats, and other doo dad sales, yeah, it "doesn't really matter much in terms of revenues". You and curseddawgs just keep telling yourselves that because "it just doesn't rally matter"

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
What's there to say? We've already got a pitching coach lined up. Lem gets fired if it's not fixed next season. We're going to blow some portal money to pick up some pitching.
I worry about our ability to hire a good pitching coach when he may be here only one year if our fielding doesn't improve by a LOT.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s pretty obvious our fans don’t care about baseball either. As long as the stadium is great and the atmosphere is great, we don’t care about the quality of the team.

• Angry
Reactions: Fishsqeezer

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Ah ok, so the athletic dept doesn't care if lets say only 40,000 fans buy tickets to Davis Wade instead of 65,000? That's 25,000 tickets at $49 each for the first game against SE Louisiana or a total of $1,225,000.00 in non ticket sales that "doesn't really matter much in terms of revenue"? There's 8 home games this season or $9,800,000 that "doesn't really matter in terms of revenue"? Then there's the $8 per beer, food sales, the $200 season parking pass, shirts, hats, and other doo dad sales, yeah, it "doesn't really matter much in terms of revenues". You and curseddawgs just keep telling yourselves that because "it just doesn't rally matter"
Davis Wade seats 60,000 and maybe a teeny bit more.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023

While you're 100% correct, every state fan including myself needs to better understand one major thing.

we will be below average in football regardless most years and you can throw basketball in there as well. Baseball will have a chance to be a tick above average to good most years but NIL is about to eat us alive in all 3 big sports.

you now have alabama/uga/LSU/UF throwing NIL money at baseball players too. They have so much they can drop a couple hundred grand on baseball guys too.
Several of those teams already had a recruiting advantage anyway.
If we don't do better on NIL coaching will be further down the list of problems. You still have to have some jimmys and joes to be competitive.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
While you're 100% correct, every state fan including myself needs to better understand one major thing.

we will be below average in football regardless most years and you can throw basketball in there as well. Baseball will have a chance to be a tick above average to good most years but NIL is about to eat us alive in all 3 big sports.

you now have alabama/uga/LSU/UF throwing NIL money at baseball players too. They have so much they can drop a couple hundred grand on baseball guys too.
If we don't do better on NIL coaching will be further down the list of problems. You still have to have some jimmys and joes to be competitive.
Meh. Yall are all overrating NIL in baseball.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m not saying I agree with keeping him but I understand why an AD would keep him. But what you said about spending money in the portal is the only way to make this team competitive next year. The team makes too many errors and that probably won’t change next year. But they are competitive enough hitting the ball that just an average pitching staff will probably result in a making a regional as a 3 seed.

I just think I’ve seen enough to know I don’t think Lemonis knows how to evaluate pitching talent and even if he pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets to a regional next year, I don’t expect sustainability with him year over year.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

I agree, we won't compete. I've about written off college sports because of NIL and transfers. Proponents still saying it will "correct itself" but I don't see that happening because once you start the "giveth" process, its almost impossible to "taketh away"

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree, we won't compete. I've about written off college sports because of NIL and transfers. Proponents still saying it will "correct itself" but I don't see that happening because once you start the "giveth" process, its almost impossible to "taketh away"
These are the same people who said it wouldn't quickly morph from paying players for their name, image and likeness into full scale paying recruits. Not sure if they're intentionally lying or just extremely naive.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Which means that SEC baseball is Polkenstein's Monster...

gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror

• Haha
Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login