I had forgotten what a complete Bad A$$ Warren Spahn was.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
He survived The Battle of The Bulge and got several nice pieces of Military Bling. Greatest Lefty ever and one of the best hitting pitchers of all time. 13 twenty win seasons including one at age 42 ending that year with a 2.60 ERA. You pitching gurus might like this video breaking down his mechanics.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
1687712307826.jpeg

Proof that badasses can be unassuming or even dismissively goofy at first glance.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
One of the best to ever do it. Imagine the awards he'd have won if he played in a major market for a perennial contender.

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020
I was a Milwaukee Braves fan as a young guy and Warren Spahn , along with Lew Burdette, were the mainstays on the Braves’ pitching staff. Burdette had his own marathon game against Harvey Haddix of the Pirates, but the game I remember most was a 1962 game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco when 42 year old Warren Spahn battled 25 year old Juan Marichal for 16 innings. The Giants’ manager, Alvin Dark, wanted to take Marichal out of the game but Marichal begged him not to do it ”at least until that 42 year old comes out.”

Spahn gave up a solo homer to Willie Mays in the 16th inning for a 1-0 loss. It is generally regarded as the best pitching performances by two pitchers in the same game in Major League history. I had the pleasure of seeing Spahn pitch at County Stadium in Milwaukee on two occasions.

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
I was in the stands at Smith Wills for a Jackson Generals game (years ago). My friend asked me if that was someone we should know sittin behind us - and it was Warren Spahn. He was there doing some talent evaulation for another franchise. We didn't bother him while he was working but made our way to him as the game ended. He was the nicest most appreciative guy and stood and talked with us for over 15 minutes. What stuck out to me otherwise? How short he was, how large his head and hands were in relation to his body size. I was thrilled to meet one of the best ever.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
There were only a couple of players that were Bad *** in my lifetime and they were Greg Maddux and Tony Gwynn.

Are there two Hall of Famers with higher voices from that era? Maybe consider Randy Johnson or Carlton Fisk when talking bad asses from that time.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
View attachment 357401

Proof that badasses can be unassuming or even dismissively goofy at first glance.
The video shows how sneaky he was keeping the same motion and delivery for a wide assortment of pitches. His mechanics distracted hitters de
Are there two Hall of Famers with higher voices from that era? Maybe consider Randy Johnson or Carlton Fisk when talking bad asses from that time.
If batting left against RJ I'd make John Kruk look like Richard The Lionheart.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login