I had to call a plumber today for an emergency job. There was a big leak under the sink.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When he came in, he was wearing a maroon and white Mississippi State shirt. I looked at his shirt and I said Mississippi State? He looked at me and smiled said,"You ever heard of Dak Prescott? I'm a huge fan!"

It was really happy. He found an alumni here of Mississippi State, and actually gave me a break on the cost of the repair. I found it great that we got another fan because of Prescott.

I have his number now I know who I'm going to call if I need a plumber.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Eh. I get it.

As OCD as I am, I’d like a professional to actually make sure things are right.

I hate it when tasks are judged to be DIY.

I’m really klutzy.
A gasket usually does the trick. Just make sure it don’t leak.

But I’m poor so I’ve been doing my own plumbing for years.

@IBleedMaroonDawg send me a pic I can probably help if you want to DIY

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
When he came in, he was wearing a maroon and white Mississippi State shirt. I looked at his shirt and I said Mississippi State? He looked at me and smiled said,"You ever heard of Dak Prescott? I'm a huge fan!"

It was really happy. He found an alumni here of Mississippi State, and actually gave me a break on the cost of the repair. I found it great that we got another fan because of Prescott.

I have his number now I know who I'm going to call if I need a plumber.
Good stuff!!!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Good stuff!!!
Not a problem. I shared this plumber's name with another guy here in North Austin who is also an MSU alumni. See you soon. Don't pay attention to goat he just being the goat. He didn't mean anything by It nor the rest of these fellas, they just have fun. If I couldn't take some joking, I wouldn't be on this place.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
You'd be surprised the number of things you can figure out how to fix if you're poor. Not a knock at the OP. More power to anyone who can afford it or needs it. Time is money my friend. I talk up plumbing and electrical work to my kids every week. They aren't listening but im lining up that "I told you so" well in advance.

10 years from now skilled labor won't be considered programming or graphic design, it'll be dry wallers and plumbers. Already is, we just haven't admitted it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It’s actually an extremely mentally taxing trade. I’m no dumbass, in fact, I’m of way above average intelligence and my job uses every bit of my brain on a daily basis.
Relax… my dad worked his share of construction and did a lot of plumbing. That was a common joke for that time when someone asked him if he was a plumber. I’ve done my share of running water lines and digging with a shovel to find a leak.Even pulled a toilet or two….

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
It’s actually an extremely mentally taxing trade. I’m no dumbass, in fact, I’m of way above average intelligence and my job uses every bit of my brain on a daily basis.
Moto is my go-to plumber. I met him through this board . He's a smart guy, damn good plumber, great State fan and now a good friend .

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
You'd be surprised the number of things you can figure out how to fix if you're poor. Not a knock at the OP. More power to anyone who can afford it or needs it. Time is money my friend. I talk up plumbing and electrical work to my kids every week. They aren't listening but im lining up that "I told you so" well in advance.

10 years from now skilled labor won't be considered programming or graphic design, it'll be dry wallers and plumbers. Already is, we just haven't admitted it.

AI will never be able to plunge a toilet or nail drywall to the framing.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I started out setting a new tub. Once I dry fit it and the drain didn't line up, I called the plumber. No desire to dig out the tar around the current trap and risk messing something up under the foundation. I did get the overflow to line up with the new location which took some serious thought about angles and may have set a record for number of elbows per inch...I did not, however, out of deference to the real plumber, glue it in place before he came...

Reactions: Motodawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I started out setting a new tub. Once I dry fit it and the drain didn't line up, I called the plumber. No desire to dig out the tar around the current trap and risk messing something up under the foundation. I did get the overflow to line up with the new location which took some serious thought about angles and may have set a record for number of elbows per inch...I did not, however, out of deference to the real plumber, glue it in place before he came...
Yeah I don't mess with shlt that can leak where I can't see. Sinks and toilets (for the most part) are in plain view if they are leaking. I don't 17 with bath tubs and showers.

I sold a house one time where I had added a bathroom in an area over the garage. The garage had drywall in the ceiling. Sewer and water line ran along one wall, as original builder had capped them in case anyone carried out this expanded bathroom. So I had the plumber connect to that sewer line, and instead of keeping all the pipes in the ceiling sheetrock and having to drill through all the beams, I told him to cut out some sheetrock and bring the pipes down an inch or two below the beams, and expose them to the garage. That way no structural integrity is compromised, and I can look up and see if I ever had leaks.

Well, the buyer went round and round about that. Home inspector said it wasn't code and we needed to drywall around it. Just total dubmasses. Many garages are completely exposed - the sheetrock is just for looks. Much better to be able to see your lines whenever possible.

Am I alone in this?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login