I have enjoyed Bobby Knight until....

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
he just said they should expand the tournament to 128 teams. WTF?

I guess the guys on ESPN have to whine about something, but my cry me a river for ASU. They went 9-10 in the conference with 4 of the 9 wins over Oregon State and Cal who won a combined 4 conference games.

Also, just noticed that Oregon lost to Oakland.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
tend to agree with them on ASU is that ASU had a better conference record than Arizona and swept them, but Arizona got in and they didn't.

I actually didn't think that Knight's idea was that bad (if the tourney decided to expand). Seed the top 128 teams from 1 to 128. The top 64 play the bottom 64 on the top 64's campus, then the winners are in the tourney. Not saying I think that the tourney should expand, but if they did that's not a bad way to do it.

WillemWallace

Feb 20, 2008
or something around there would be reasonable.

300 something Div 1 Basketball programs, and only 65 get a chance in the Tourney.

119 Div 1 football teams, and I think there are 32 bowls, correct? Which would be 64 teams, almost half.

Expanding would be good for the Tourney.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes, there are 300 teams compared to 119 but those additional 15 slots would be filled by teams that are already in the count of 119. Teams 120-300 wouldn't have anymore of a chance.

It's really just a way to make sure basketball coaches in the big conferences have more job security. That's why its coaches/former coaches that lobby for it the most.

MSU CS 2004

Mar 7, 2008
Dick Vitale, was the only person who made the excellent point that almost every team is essentially already in the tournament, by way of their conference tournaments.

The tournament is great the way it is. Expanding the tournament would make the tournament worthless.

Nov 16, 2005
You have teams like Ole Miss, Arizona State, and others who miss the tournament while teams like Coppin State get in because of automatic qualifiers. One conference tournament does not equal another conference tournament.

The idea of a 128 team tournament is a great one. You stand a better chance of getting the best 64 in that way.

S

SteelDawg99

For some of these smaller conference schools, just winning their tournament should be good enough. Save those spots for major conference teams and keep it at 64. I just don't think I would enjoy the Dance as much in that format, that's what makes this tourny so great is that everybody has a chance to prove themselves. Even IUPUI.

Dog in the Know

Nov 1, 2007
why not have a play in game for every region which would add three more teams. go from 65 teams to 68. Play those games all on the same day (Tuesday) that they currently have the "play in game" and those winning teams would be #'s 64, 63, 62, and 61 or in other words the #16 team in each region.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login