2021 La tech
2020 vandy
2016 Miami OH
2013 bowling green
2012 troy
2011 La tech and wake forest
2006 uab

Need I go on
But something is different about this one. Those others felt like "ok, we didn't play our best, but still managed to win. We should play better next time." This one makes me feel like I am staring down the abyss that is Mississippi State football, or even our athletics in general.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
But something is different about this one. Those others felt like "ok, we didn't play our best, but still managed to win. We should play better next time." This one makes me feel like I am staring down the abyss that is Mississippi State football, or even our athletics in general.
As you stare into the abyss, Croom peeps back at you

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
2021 La tech
2020 vandy
2016 Miami OH
2013 bowling green
2012 troy
2011 La tech and wake forest
2006 uab

Need I go on
2002 Troy
2008 Vandy
2005 Tulane
2003 Memphis
2016 UMass
2020 Tulsa
2020 Vandy
2019 ULL
2019 Egg Bowl

Today’s game was nowhere close to any of those. We didn’t look awesome, but the outcome was never really in question.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Man I don’t know what to tell you. This game was never that close. If you want objective evidence, look at the ESPN win% tracker. The lowest it ever got for us was 88.8% chance of winning, right after we fumbled the kickoff return and before their missed FG. We’ve played way, way worse….and done so against way worse teams than we did today.

IMG_5261.jpeg

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
the emotional roller coaster mostly depends on the rider

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I will defend the OP. for those who have followed state for decades, it hasn’t always been a fun ride. We honestly have been on the single greatest run in state football history, Slo-Mo years included. Although the Leach years weren’t everyone’s cup of tea, anyone who argues they weren’t overall successsful is an idiot. The loss yesterday appeared to Validate the fact that our trajectory has taken an instantaneous Nosedive and it actually appears it is going to get worse while our rival continues to improve and find success year to year.

I’m a state fan. I can handle losing. I would have left a long time ago if I couldn’t. But even in losing there was always hope. Even when Mullen had his ***** the bed moments, we knew things could get better and we had a chance the next week / next year. This feels the opposite of that. This feels like our program reverting back to the laughing stock of the SEC. Which is why it is so important that our new AD better be already talking to agents. This really does have the eerie feeling of Croom 2.0.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I will defend the OP. for those who have followed state for decades, it hasn’t always been a fun ride. We honestly have been on the single greatest run in state football history, Slo-Mo years included. Although the Leach years weren’t everyone’s cup of tea, anyone who argues they weren’t overall successsful is an idiot. The loss yesterday appeared to Validate the fact that our trajectory has taken an instantaneous Nosedive and it actually appears it is going to get worse while our rival continues to improve and find success year to year.

I’m a state fan. I can handle losing. I would have left a long time ago if I couldn’t. But even in losing there was always hope. Even when Mullen had his ***** the bed moments, we knew things could get better and we had a chance the next week / next year. This feels the opposite of that. This feels like our program reverting back to the laughing stock of the SEC. Which is why it is so important that our new AD better be already talking to agents. This really does have the eerie feeling of Croom 2.0.
Our Matt luke moment. We promoted from within with a guy who had no business having the interim tag taken off

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Man I don’t know what to tell you. This game was never that close. If you want objective evidence, look at the ESPN win% tracker. The lowest it ever got for us was 88.8% chance of winning, right after we fumbled the kickoff return and before their missed FG. We’ve played way, way worse….and done so against way worse teams than we did today.

View attachment 420150

Again… they had a 3rd team MAC QB, 2 2nd team OL, and a 2nd team RB that hung 28 on a defense full of Arnett’s players. On the road.

Be completely honest…. Would MSU have scored 7 points in the situation?
They were in the game till after the half And the players looked like they had rather have been anywhere but there when walking into the locker room at the half.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Be completely honest…. Would MSU have scored 7 points in the situation?
They were in the game till after the half And the players looked like they had rather have been anywhere but there when walking into the locker room at the half.
Of course we would have. We would have put multiple TD’s on the board, because we would have been going against our D.

Quit acting like WMU’s production yesterday had anything to do with how good they were on offense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This thread illustrates that many of you young 17ers have zero idea what true MSU despair looks like. And some of you olds have forgotten. NOTHING that happened in the Mullen Era was despair, because we knew we had a good coach and a future. Same with Leach. The OP is right. The reason we felt it yesterday, and back during Moorhead and Croom, is because we knew there was no way out.

If you do not understand this or disagree, you are either an idiot or just ignorant. Maybe both. I shouldn’t be surprised, considering how many of you react in baseball.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Mississippi state fans and emotional roller coasters 🎢🙄

Reactions: Ranchdawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

View attachment 420150
Emotional self loathing

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Mississippi state fans and emotional roller coasters 🎢🙄
Happy Marty Mush GIF by Barstool Sports

Reactions: paindonthurt

patdog

May 28, 2007
This one felt like 2016 UMass & Samford - “Somehow you won while rotting from the inside”
I was reminded of 2016 UMass in the 2nd half. I was there with my brother and it was a long game and pretty chilly. We had a ride ahead of us to get to Hyannis to catch a ferry the next morning for Nantucket. Every time we'd score, we'd think just get a stop and we'll head out. But they'd score, then we'd score again.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I refer you to the ‘I’ words in my previous post. And that’s all I have to say about that.
I’m guessing you missed just about every Egg Bowl after 2013. Including us going against a one legged QB and still getting our doors blown off to squander the only CFP chance that we are ever going to have. Also including a 5-win, Matt Luke coached squad coming in and pushing our shít back in for his final act. Might have missed 2016 USA / BYU, and every game against Bama, too.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Message boards do that to you. Football was much more fun before the internet.
Which is why I find myself spending less time here. I won't be missed. Lots of posts to take my place bitching about the same things over and over and over... You can read the same myopic opinions only so many times. I'll check now and again to see if you guys change the subjects. Somehow I kind of doubt it

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m guessing you missed just about every Egg Bowl after 2013. Including us going against a one legged QB and still getting our doors blown off to squander the only CFP chance that we are ever going to have. Also including a 5-win, Matt Luke coached squad coming in and pushing our shít back in for his final act. Might have missed 2016 USA / BYU, and every game against Bama, too.
Read what you just said - "CFP chance". That alone says we were nowhere near "despair". Hell we were in the running for the national title.

In 2017 we felt it simply because Mullen was leaving. But I think, even then, we all thought we could get a new coach and win with that stacked team.

Reactions: preacher_dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login