I haven't given up, our season begins Saturday

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Here's the inconvenient truth. Probably 80% of the time, the talent gulf between us and Bama/LSU is too much for coaching to overcome, no matter if Mullen or Leach coached those games - especially this year as we don't have a difference maker (yet) on either side of the ball. We may have beaten USCe under the aforementioned coaches, so we are one game behind.

Like every year our season comes down the the 50/50 games (where the opponent has similar talent as us)

Below is the 2023 SEC Composite talent ranking (from 24/7):

3. TAMU
7. Auburn
9. Ole Miss
11. Mississippi State
12. Kentucky
13. Arkansas

We can beat UK, Ark and the Barn and who knows how OM will be playing at the end of year. TAMU is a dumpster fire, but they have so much talent, I count it as a loss and consider it lagniappe if we win.

If we win two more conference games, it's 6-6 and bowl. Vegas has our win total as 6.5, so we'd be on track.

As others have stated, our season starts Saturday, we lose badly, then I'm giving up. We win or play well in a loss, we can still get to 6-6.

We're coming off an open date and hopefully Arnett has shored up the D. I think we win.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We're coming off an open date and hopefully Arnett has shored up the D. I think we win.
You usually are what you are by this point, which for us is a below average offense and a shltty defense. We have a bunch of evidence that says Arnett won't fix the defense, but the sheep in me can see the off week, and maybe think it was a break point for the season, and we will change something and be better on the back half.

That said, I see another South Carolina type result. 11 am kick and coming off Bama might have the Pigs a little sleepy. I hear their defense is pretty good though. We play better but still don't win, so basically the most frustrating outcome available.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think we win this one on the road. If it was at home, I think it would be a very close win.

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
If we were the obvious better team, like at times in years past, I'd say there is no possible way to win in Arkansas. But since we obviously are not better, there is some hope.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think we win this one on the road. If it was at home, I think it would be a very close win.
Agree. Which is why this was always a tougher schedule than many were saying. Too many of the 50-50 games are in the road. Flip home & road schedules and decent chance we’re 5-2 after this weekend instead of 3-4.

Feb 4, 2015
Personally ive seen nothing from our team that looks capable of winning any of those games especially on the road. im even a little scared of USM at this point,

Reactions: PBRME

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Even if we lose Saturday, I don't think it's over. TnL said that but walked it back a little later but anyways.... that makes Auburn a must win.

Make no mistake, we need to win Saturday and at the very least look good in all phases. But it isn't over until thanksgiving night. Because we will get one of the next 3 and USM.

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I haven’t given up either. I want it on record. I also fully acknowledge the fact that I’m a dumass.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
On the bright side, Auburn and KY have terrible passing offenses. Yeah, yeah - they don't have the boost from facing us yet. But they are definitely worse than the three SEC teams we've faced so far. Arkansas isn't exactly great either but I can see KJ having a big game against us.

So that does give me some hope of 2 possible SEC wins.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We’re starting our backup QB. I have low expectations for both sides of the ball.
I'd rather go ahead and switch to the Relf Coast Offense now, but I'm certainly not an expert, nor to i know if it'd be more successful.

Last edited:

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Agreed. This weekend is huge. We’re beating USM but we need some positive Mo now. I think if we can somehow manage getting to 6 and a bowl we could see a big boost in morale. If ZA can survive you’d have to assume he makes a huge jump as a program ceo year 1 to 2

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd rather go ahead and switch to the Relf Coast Offense now, but I'm certainly not an expert, nor to i know if it'd be more successful.
You and your 1994 level cohorts certainly seem to think you know. All I know is, it appears we will all find out Saturday if you are correct.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Is he 100% in? You said you want to change QB’s if we lose, but we don’t even know who the QB will be.
I don't, but I'm assuming it is Will. If we get blown out, I think we need to all least get Parsons a few meaningful reps (providing he's healthy) to see what we have.

My issue is we moved to a more run blocking scheme (according to Cole Cubelic - not me, i know nothing about blocking schemes), but we somewhat handcuff our running game with a QB who is very limited in his running ability and apt to be loose with the ball when he does run. Additionally, according to Cubelic, it takes a full year to transition from passing to run blocking schemes, so let's just rip the bandaid off and commit to a more mobile QB....IF we get blown out vs Ark.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Lagniappe has been added to the list of words I didn't think I'd read on SPS.
Is lagniappe not a common southern word? I feel at least in Jxn and south it is common.

I realize it's a Cajun term, but I though it had gotten adopted into southern culture like many Spanish words.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The SEC wants Arky and State at 6-6 for bowl games. Arky is sitting at 2-5 and we are 3-3. A loss gives both teams 3 wins. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Both coaches are on the hot seat. Pittman is asking us to be kind to Arnett. At this point I don't see our path to 6-6 without a win Saturday and I don't see a win Saturday. We may end up meeting everyone's expectations as the last place Western team which will make the talking heads happy. I fully expect our bowl streak to end this year. I hope I'm wrong but the future ain't looking too bright.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
The other side of your argument about how coaching doesn't matter when the talent gap is large is that it does matter when there is little to no talent gap, and unfortunately: Stoops/Kiffen/Freeze > Jimbo/Pittman > Arnett.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know we can score some and have talent (if it's not injured). I just wanna try to be more consistent moving the ball and scoring some, but it's all point if we can't play defense any better than we have.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login