I hope Lemonis owns this one in the post game presser.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Where did the team learn to be lackadaisical I wonder

Coast for the W after 4. We the champs baby

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Gonna be a bad week after that game. Got two games against tech this week on our I10 tour.

STLDawg

Apr 16, 2017
Given this team’s talent, their struggles are purely on culture, or their coach’s struggle manage the lack thereof.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Stinnett has a track record of struggling with the zone early. Just unimaginable we would take Simmons out

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Don’t blame specific players, blame the coaches for putting specific players in a position to fail

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I thought the decision to go with Walker in the 7th was weird too. That’s still early enough for things to go awry (which they did). I’m fine with it if we are still up by 7 in the 9th and we only have three outs to get, but I thought they got a little ahead of themselves there.

I cannot imagine they handle that situation the same way if it comes up again. At least I hope not. I also don’t think you can have Stinnett anywhere near the closer role at this point. You simply cannot count on him to throw strikes.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like today was a crucial point in our pre sec season. We need to win this series to have a shot at s national seed. Today was just lackadaisical by the coaching staff and just looked lazy. After we lost the Long Beach series it was alarming but hey first series long season. But then we let northern Kentucky get a game. Then get blown out by southern. Now we lose again against Tulane in a game we had I. Hand. Our bats finally come alive snd the coaches throw out two bad pitchers in bad situations. Just mind boggling. Like lemonis is content with the championship last year and just going through the motions this year.
I'm Okay with walker but loading the bases against a good Tulane team is cause to get pulled even this early in the season. Especially when you have a win. Then you get Simmons who is dealing in the 8th. Win in the bag. Throw a bad pitcher to close the 9th when you have a good team with all the momentum.

Lemonis will always get a huge pass for his first two seasons and is my least criticized coach by a long long shot. But it's weird to see them making so many bad decisions this season when compared to previous seasons. Coaches need to get it together. Championship was last season. This season is a whole new season. Need to see some urgency for wanting to win these series throughout the season.

Last edited:

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I thought the decision to go with Walker in the 7th was weird too. That’s still early enough for things to go awry (which they did). I’m fine with it if we are still up by 7 in the 9th and we only have three outs to get, but I thought they got a little ahead of themselves there.

I cannot imagine they handle that situation the same way if it comes up again. At least I hope not. I also don’t think you can have Stinnett anywhere near the closer role at this point. You simply cannot count on him to throw strikes.

Stinnett especially. What has he done at any point this season to make the coaches believe he was ready for that spot with that amount of pressure? Make that 3 weekend losses that Stinnett has been involved in.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Agree on both counts, and going with Walker is one thing. But after giving up three straight hits to let Tulane get its 4th run, how in the world do you not pull him when their cleanup hitter comes to the plate with the bases loaded?

Then the Stinnett thing is just outside of my comprehension. Simmons can’t have thrown more than 15 pitches in the 8th, and with a chance to lock down a series win, it continues to blow my mind this morning as to what logical reason there could be for making a change to PS in that situation. There just is no reasonable answer

Feb 23, 2008
Strictly a guess but I think sometimes you have to separate practice performance

and game performance. Sninnett may be lights out in practice but can’t get it done when the lights come on so to speak. And that’s what any coach hates to hear. Obviously who practices well should be the ones who get to play but some guys just don’t have whatever fortitude or mental toughness they need when it truly matters.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
The thing that makes it hard is that he’s done it before. The dude got huge outs vs Ole Miss in the Sunday game last season and several other games. I don’t know what’s changed but the team needs Stinnett desperately.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
To be fair, 2 of them were infield hits. We will need Jack Walker and if we cant put him in a 10-3 game then he isn’t useful

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
and game performance. Sninnett may be lights out in practice but can’t get it done when the lights come on so to speak. And that’s what any coach hates to hear. Obviously who practices well should be the ones who get to play but some guys just don’t have whatever fortitude or mental toughness they need when it truly matters.

I get trying to an extent, he’s very talented if he ever puts it together. But I think we have reached the Cerantola point of him being totally untrustworthy unless we have a massive lead or are behind 10 runs.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He pitched one inning against OM and gave up a 2B, HBP and a Walk. He doesnt know where his FB is going. He averaged a walk or HBP per inning last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I like said don't have a problem with walker up that much even with his high era. Just got a lot worse though after he got the bases loaded. After that it should have been done. Or even Stenet there would have been better. Lot less pressure and let him throw an inning up big then bring in Simmons behind him.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Exactly. If my math is right, Stinnett has put 43 runners on base in 25 innings over the last two seasons. I’m not trying to knock the kid, but the best thing that can really be said at this point is that he’s occasionally able to work out of jams. You can guarantee that there will be a jam, though, and that’s the problem

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Which is why he should probably be a Sunday or Midweek starter. You can overcome some control issues as a starter.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Stinnett especially. What has he done at any point this season to make the coaches believe he was ready for that spot with that amount of pressure? Make that 3 weekend losses that Stinnett has been involved in.

Some got excited about Stinnett's outing vs.......Grambling.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login