I hope Polkie Sherrill either wins the CWS or loses out

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I either want State to win the College world Series, or have a losing season. For his second run at State, he's spent the bulk of his time whining like a little girl about the NCAA when nobody outside of a few season-ticket holders here really give a ****.

We're experiencing an MSU 2003 football season collapse. Polk always has ready excuses: "Players are hurt", "NCAA scholarship limitations", "We're young", "That's baseball", blah blah blah. Winners make plays, losers make excuses.

The worst part is, he gives just enough to think MState baseball has turned the corner. For example, when we won the SEC tournament in 2005, everybody thought we were about to return to one of the top spots in baseball. Then, just when people start getting on Polk and the baseball team, they pull a SuperRegional out of their *** last year. I was there and it was electric.

For the record, I LIKE the NCAA scholarship limitations. It's kept college baseball from becoming a bastardized farm system for Major League baseball, where the recruits need tutors and untimed tests just to make a 17 on their ACT and where nobody is whining about "the kids" (just saw where a 19 year old "kid" just won the Silver Star in Afghanistan for pulling 5 of her buddies several hundred yards to safety under heavy enemy fire). Most of the players out there in the field are in a real college major, not some watered-down "Interduhciplinary Stoodies". To me, it's the best college sport there is, combining the money-making ability college sports has had with true academic excellence, pushing the players to be well-rounded athlete-scholars-drinking buddies (the epitome of college life). Come to think of it, I wish we did this for football and basketball as well....30 scholarships split 85 ways for football and 6 scholarships split 15 ways for basketball.

This year would be a good time for Ron Polk to take that promotion to "Vice-President in charge of Daffodil Growing at the Bryan Building" and the new AD to hire some young hungry coach who's more interested in earning his pay and bringing a winner to State.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
I guess I am a bad bulldog, but I think it is going to take one hell of an atrocious season for Polk to step down on his own. I don't want Byrne to be put in the position to have to fire him, because the issue will divide the fanbase. If he'll just retire on his own, problem solved, and the only way he does that is if he has an awful season, even by his standards. And since there's no way we are winning out or coming close to it, I'd rather just be terrible than be the 8 seed in the tournament and get a 3 seed in BFE again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login