I just got back from Philadelphia err Memorial Gym...

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
After watching us get our asses kicked there 2 years ago, I was hoping for at least a close game. It was probably the best sporting event I have ever been to.

I was in Section K, on the first level, and there were a LOT of state fans there. I am assuming there is just a bigger alumni group up here than I originally thought. We got the maron/whit going, and even outdid their hey song with ours.

The first half I thought we had them exactly where we wanted them. We had a 7 point lead once or twice, and they were ice cold from the arc. They made a run to tie at the half.

The second half was outstanding to watch. I, like columbusdawg, thought Gordon nailed the game winner at the buzzer. Foster was hitting 3 pointers from the damn hot dog stand. Everytime he got the ball, you knew he was going to score somehow. He was unstoppable.

In overtime, I was extremely pissed that Rhodes missed both FTs his first trip at the line. I haven't looked at numbers yet, but it seems like we shot FTs worse than we had all year. The Varnado foul was ********, but there were calls that were questionable both ways in the game. The refs did not decide the game.

When Gordon got hurt with a minute left, I could not believe that Vandy fans booed the **** out of him. The guy obviously can't move himself. I thought I was in 17 Philly with the booing. It was horseshit. I also am not sure why play was not stopped when Gordon was obviously hurt and not moving. Instead, they got an easy look at a basket since we were short on the defensive end. Vandy fan lost a lot of points in my book by booing Gordon for not getting off the floor on his own. I thought without Gordon on the floor for our last possession we were screwed. Instead, they fouled Hansbrough quickly, and I thought they were giving us 2 points. Instead, he only hit 1/2. Did I mention that our FT shooting was absolute **** tonight? Sorry for being Captain Obvious. Then of course I got the pleasure of watching one of their players break 40 points. I'd have rather watched him shoot FTs instead of making another goddamn 3 pointer.

It is still not the end of the world though people. We lost a game we were supposed to lose, on the road, and we honestly should have won.

I like our chances in Atlanta and in the NCAAs.

...If Gordon is ok. (I'm assuming it was just cramps the way they were treating him)</p>

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
....Jack was MIGHTY pissed off at the booing. I would hate to know what he had to say about the Vandy fans off-air.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I remember when we played Vandy in the classic Fred Smoot "I'll let you make a catch if you do my homework." game after someone associated with them made fun of MSU and our JUCO's. They have some incredibly large amount of arrogant fans who are jerks, but a lot of people don't know about it because A.) They're small and B.) they typically suck, so they don't have anything to brag about.

It was nice to watch us thug out their *** to a 42-14 beating- and one of their TD's was VERY questionable.

I have to say it:

Thanks Jackie.

HighPointDawg

Feb 9, 2005
Quit acting like stupid geenie's and jesus I hope people from this board are not the ones filling up the VANDY board crying about "class"...

the whole booing thing is overblown... did Vandy fans boo when Gordon was down hurt ? -- YES and LOUD and they screamed and cussed and threw ****... but they were not booing Gordon (they were glad he was hurt) they were booing a very smart play by Stans... he basically had coaxed the Refs into letting them "work" on Gordon's leg ON THE COURT so for almost 10 full minutes they game is at a delay...

Why?

Well Foster had just hit his 8th three pointer (IN A ROW) from 35 Feet with TWO people in his face... MSU was up 1 point and Vandy crowd was going NUTS... Stans sucked every damn bit of energy out of that crowd during the delay. It was a really smart play....

What a game!! glad I was there.... Need to make those FTs at the end of OT and Regulation... there was nothing we could do on Foster.. he was doubled, tripled, etc.. he made shots without looking at the basket...

And dumbass fishwatterclassof2099 and followers... we denied the ball as much as possible.. they ran cross plays where they basically handed the ball off to Foster like a running back.. we had 2 guys on him almost all the time.. he couldn't miss.. it happens.

Feb 15, 2007
I was also in Section K. I sat across from Jamont's cousins and I was ringing my cowbell as I walked up the steps.

I was VERY impressed with our crowd. We gave them hell and I thought our team responded.

I was very pissed about the Vandy fans booing Jamont. Totally classless.</p>

Foster was unreal. I've seen somewhat shoot like that before.</p>

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Stans sucked every damn bit of energy out of that crowd during the delay. It was a really smart play....
You sure you're talking about the MSU/Vandy game....cause from what I've read, Stans sucks. Must be a mistake.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
and listened to it like many, and from the way I heard it we just got beat by an MVP performance from one of the leagues best. That kid would have shot it from half court if he had to and it probably would have gone in. That's basketball, oops wrong sport.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
staff on the floor to assist and Gordon was apparently immobile, where else were they going to work on him?

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Jack Cristil has forgotten more basketball games than we'll ever see...so if he's upset about the booing (and he was), I'm pretty sure it's not being overblown.

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
And I don't feel like wading through all the bitching and moaning to see if it's been mentioned already: one play that turned out to be big in the game was the T that Jarvis got early on in the game.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Yep, that was two-fold. One it gave Vandy 2 points and two it gave Varnado 2 fouls. And even though he came back in before halftime, he played very tenatively. It was a bs call. He tossed the ball toward the endline, but it landed on a Vandy playing laying on the court. The ref turned around just in time to see the ball hitting the Vandy player and he called a T. It wasn't a vicious or intentional thing at all.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Listening to the game on the radio you could tell there were ALOT of State fans there. It sounded great.

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
it was certainly a big play. Jarvis was clearly frustrated by the foul though I thought, and he did bounce the ball back to the endline for the Vandy guard to pick it up later, it just happened that there was one of their players on the floor and the ref thought he was throwing the ball at him laying on the floor.

AdamDawgDude

May 28, 2007
The booing was ridiculous--reminded me of the time when the UM quarterback broke his finger and layed down on the field at VU. I was kidding around with some of the Vandy fans around me that if they had their benches in the proper place, then we could have Gordon in a seat right now and the game would be restarted. I dont' think they were amused....

It was a great game. Plenty of calls went against us and we could have won by a 10 point margin. Hansbrough was getting rocked all night when he went inside and I think it really threw him off of his game. Rhodes and Gordon got hammered every time in the paint and it was rarely called. We're on the road and I expected the 'Memorial Magic' to kick in at some point. The only bad coaching decision was not fouling when we were up three in regulation, but Stans had a great game plan. Varnardo's reputation is awesome. Vandy was terrified inside and refused to take several open shots in the paint. Rhodes has truly arrived. He was tough and the best athlete on the floor last night (making NBA range fade-away threes is not the same thing). Ravern is going to be a good one....

With all of that said, we look really good for the post season. There's no telling who will have the game of their life to knock us out.
</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login