I know a lot of people think there are too many........

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
bowl games, but I disagree. More football is always good in my opinion. There have been some great ones so far, and the Frisco Bowl is one of them up till now. UTSA and SDSU, 17 -14 Aztecs @ half.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Some people refer to them as exhibition games, but these kids are playing their hearts out. This is not casual competition. And the best part is most of the players are true amateurs. No huge NIL deals around. There hasn't been a bad bowl game yet.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching these games so far and wish there were more games throughout the day for the next few days leading up to Christmas.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think it’s pretty bold to have Bill Swerski doing color commentary on this game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you think there are too many bowl games (and I don't necessarily disagree), there's a pretty freaking easy solution. Just don't watch them.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
USTA is one of my favorite teams. They just started playing football in 2010 and they have a really exciting offense and team to watch. I would love for Mississippi State to maybe have them as a out of conference opponent and have a least one game in San Antonio.

San Diego State is playing dirty as hell. They just got their fifth personal foul penalty. I hate I just found the game I didn't know it was going on tonight.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
I would argue that pretty much all the bowl games so far have been exciting and fun. Pure football fun. Kent State and Wyoming was a great game and so is this Frisco Bowl.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I hate it when some sports talk radio guys try to say the bowl games are meaningless. I understand opting out if you are going to the combine. I really do but I guarantee you Cross wants to ay in the Liberty Bowl. All these kids wanna play.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There’s like 3 people on here who think there’s too many.

For years this place has been full of commentary about how absurd it is to have so many bowl games.
And as it applies to MSU, there is a constant argument that we have a bowl streak simply due to how many bowl games there are, therefore the streak is watered down.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
For years this place has been full of commentary about how absurd it is to have so many bowl games.
And as it applies to MSU, there is a constant argument that we have a bowl streak simply due to how many bowl games there are, therefore the streak is watered down.
You have to remember I was the OP. I tried to make nice after that.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013

I am in the camp of there are never too many bowl games and our bowl streak is 100 % watered down. I’m all for the most football possible but I also realize that we had a couple of teams make bowl games that were not very good. It’s pretty amazing that in 1997 we went 7-4 and didn’t make a bowl game and in 2020 we went 3-7 amd went to a bowl game. I know 2020 was a different situation with COVID and a conference only schedule but still.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It’s the last college football we get to see until late August so I’ll never complain about too many bowl games.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you think there are too many bowl games

I do

Just don't watch them

I don't.

Its just that its teams that I have no *****, damns, or ***** to give about and therefore can easily find something better to do with the time. I haven't seen one play of one bowl yet and don't anticipate any until our game and then probably not again till New Years Eve

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't think anybody truly complains about bowl games themselves. Most people just understand that with players opting out of them, they obviously don't mean very much anymore. The old system where they were a symbol of your season was best, but the rigid conference tie-ins sort of devalued them too. It's just antiquated the way they are now, outside the playoff. It's just inevitable that an expanded playoff is coming, and that will simply dwarf the rest of the bowls.

But nobody is complaining about having football to watch. Just have to understand that they are glorified exhibitions, and preparation for next year, more than anything.

I will say that a 9 or 10 win season and a high-level bowl is still something to celebrate, although players opt out of those routinely too. But soon, those will be playoff games.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If you think there are too many bowl games (and I don't necessarily disagree), there's a pretty freaking easy solution. Just don't watch them.

I don't think there are too many bowl games, but to play devil's advocate, the problem with having too many bowl games is too many of the players stop caring for them. It's a small minority of players, but still enough to significantly swing the balance of the game when you're talking about big time programs in down years. If "everybody" didn't get to go to bowl games, then you would have players appreciate it a lot more.

Again, not really my position, but I get it. My big argument against it is that it's mostly only blue blood programs having down years that really have that problem. I suspect we're about to see a lot of people enter the portal, which means all those players were at the least willing to hold off on visits to and recruiting from other schools to play in their bowl game, so lots of players obviously care. When you see lots of players opting out of bowl games to get started on the transfer process, I might agree that there are too many bowls.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
1. There are a lot of bowls
2. I haven't watch any of them so far but I will
3. Why would anyone be upset that there a lot of bowls. Like someone else has already said don't watch

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I do

I don't.

Its just that its teams that I have no *****, damns, or ***** to give about and therefore can easily find something better to do with the time. I haven't seen one play of one bowl yet and don't anticipate any until our game and then probably not again till New Years Eve

It’s*

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think there are too many bowl games, but to play devil's advocate, the problem with having too many bowl games is too many of the players stop caring for them. It's a small minority of players, but still enough to significantly swing the balance of the game when you're talking about big time programs in down years. If "everybody" didn't get to go to bowl games, then you would have players appreciate it a lot more.

Again, not really my position, but I get it. My big argument against it is that it's mostly only blue blood programs having down years that really have that problem. I suspect we're about to see a lot of people enter the portal, which means all those players were at the least willing to hold off on visits to and recruiting from other schools to play in their bowl game, so lots of players obviously care. When you see lots of players opting out of bowl games to get started on the transfer process, I might agree that there are too many bowls.

You’re telling me Charles Cross opted out because there were two bowls in Frisco this year?

Or because his team is in the Liberty Bowl, a bowl that has been around for over 60 years?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

I don't think the number matters, because the bowls have different levels of status, so there are still things to play for, i.e. better seasons equal better bowls (obviously). But they are still opting out. Bottom line, the only bowls that won't see opt-outs is the playoff bowls. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm talking year-in, year-out. That tells you all you need to know. I don't like it, as I prefer the bowl system, but I also see reality.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You’re telling me Charles Cross opted out because there were two bowls in Frisco this year?

Or because his team is in the Liberty Bowl, a bowl that has been around for over 60 years?
He opted out because a Liberty Bowl trophy doesn't matter to him. Guarantee you he wouldn't opt out of a playoff game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
He opted out because a Liberty Bowl trophy doesn't matter to him. Guarantee you he wouldn't opt out of a playoff game.

Right... I think the flaw in that is that only 4 teams are in the 2 Bowls that make up the playoff. By that logic, even 40 years ago, that's saying 14 of the bowls were useless or that 80 years ago that 10 were useless. In fact, before the playoff, you could argue that only 1 bowl even mattered using this logic.

But I get it... it's the Liberty Bowl... I think we as State fans have a sour notion of the Liberty Bowl because 1. it's close, so it doesn't feel "exotic" enough and 2. we've gone to the Liberty Bowl more than any other program in the country (except Arkansas), so it feels too familiar. It's like vacationing to Dollywood. Dollywood's fun and a nice place to take the family, but once you've been... you've been. I get that.

That being said, the Liberty Bowl is a solid, established, bowl game with a long 60+ year history and a nice payout.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Right... I think the flaw in that is that only 4 teams are in the 2 Bowls that make up the playoff. By that logic, even 40 years ago, that's saying 14 of the bowls were useless or that 80 years ago that 10 were useless. In fact, before the playoff, you could argue that only 1 bowl even mattered using this logic.
This is a good point, though, and one that needs to be discussed. My point is that no bowls really matter outside the playoff now. Why is that? Truly, none of us know, but we have to admit they don't. And as recently as 2010 or 2011, I would argue they DID matter. Bowl placement was a big deal. The conference tie-ins SEEMED to be semi-equal, and of course the G5 got screwed but it was what it was. Even if a team was 4-4, they still played for bowl placement.

Something happened after that first conference realignment, that started all of this. I'd even say the bowl system was hanging on until the playoff, then the other bowls' popularity dropped RAPIDLY. Players started opting out right around that point.

I'll tell you, as much as we say college football has changed in the past year or so, I'd venture to say we had as much change back then too, it just didn't happen as quickly.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

There are a lot of SEC teams that missed many bowl games the past 12 season. Think 11 of them if I am not mistaken. Must not be watered down too much.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I love bowl season and try to catch all the games except any with Bummer in them. I don't even care about the playoffs because the same teams end up there (highest bidders). Cincy is the exception. I'd love to see them win it but realistically it will be Bummer and the #1 recruiting classes for the last umpteenth years. If they don't matter then let's send our cut of the bowl proceeds back to the SEC. ****

College football is great entertainment. I really enjoyed watching Wyoming in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl yesterday. Neither team had a good defense but it was a great game. That was the first time I've watched a Wyoming game.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020

Without bowls this doesn't happen: Records

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Mizzou vs Army coming up in 10 minutes!

bowl games, but I disagree. More football is always good in my opinion. There have been some great ones so far, and the Frisco Bowl is one of them up till now. UTSA and SDSU, 17 -14 Aztecs @ half.
Should be a good game!

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I would like to see the bowl/conference tie ins go away, minus Sugar -SEC, Orange ACC Rose etc.
Would really like if we had a chance to play in the Sun Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl and others. I know the Bowls need to sell tickets but damn this year is so Regionalized.
Part is Covid related I guess but going to the same 4-5 bowls over and over is old. Now next year, we should hopefully be in the hunt for the Sugar or Citrus.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Part of me still misses the old bowl system. No tie ins other than the Big 10 and PAC 10 champs to the Rose, the Big 8 Champ to the Orange, and the Southwest Champ to the Cotton. We have absolutely nothing like what New Year's Day was back then. Those were the absolute best days of college football every single year. Almost always at least two had MNC implications. Very often it was three.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Part of me still misses the old bowl system. No tie ins other than the Big 10 and PAC 10 champs to the Rose, the Big 8 Champ to the Orange, and the Southwest Champ to the Cotton. We have absolutely nothing like what New Year's Day was back then. Those were the absolute best days of college football every single year. Almost always at least two had MNC implications. Very often it was three.

How 17ing old are you? The Sugar Bowl has had an SEC tie since 1976. The Peach Bowl was ACC vs SEC since 1993. The Citrus Bowl was SEC vs Big Ten since 1992.

When was this no tie in era of college bowls?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login