I know it is obvious, but it has been discussed WHY Arnett was hired?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
24-22. Defense absolutely destroyed one of the best offenses in the SEC. Offense and QB does everything in its power to lose the game. That’s why, and the only reason why.

Edited to add:

And that’s pathetic.

And the reason we lost the 2021 Egg was the inability of Rogers and the offense to do absolutely anything until the last 6 mins of the game. All the while, the defense was playing the game of its life until it gave way against an incredible offense.

That’s why and it’s pathetic.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Probably because our "cigar boys" saw a chance to hire a cheap coach and told our go-a-long get-a-long president to hire him.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Whoever hired him didn’t have a clear and understood stipulation. You have the most returning starters from a 9 win team and there was or was not a clear understanding of blowing up the direction and specific scheme of the offense. Also, Arnett was a good defensive game caller, and that was or was not a clear understanding of wether or not he himself was going to to continue to be the defensive play caller. This fiasco is as much on the guys who hired Arnett as it is in Arnett himself.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
24-22. Defense absolutely destroyed one of the best offenses in the SEC. Offense and QB does everything in its power to lose the game. That’s why, and the only reason why.

Edited to add:

And that’s pathetic.

And the reason we lost the 2021 Egg was the inability of Rogers and the offense to do absolutely anything until the last 6 mins of the game. All the while, the defense was playing the game of its life until it gave way against an incredible offense.

we had more yards, first downs and led in TOP, the only reason the game was close is because we turned it over 3 times to their 1.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Finebaum was asked this today. He indicated that our players were being poached, by other teams, and something had to be done.
We should have let them leave and then hired a real coach after a real search.

If we learned anything from that situation, I hope it’s that being ready to change coaches early may be what’s required now. When you fire someone now, you better be close to having someone lined up.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We should have let them leave and then hired a real coach after a real search.

If we learned anything from that situation, I hope it’s that being ready to change coaches early may be what’s required now. When you fire someone now, you better be close to having someone lined up.
Same thing is true with AD’s.

Reactions: knock him out john

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It was all about the timing of Leach death and not having an AD. If we waited on an AD, we would have had no roster. No signing class and all the talent on the roster heading to other schools. Arnett was a short-term solution to save both. He is an interim coach without being interim. He has a really silly contract for a SEC head coach that is very favorable to Miss State. If Arnett worked out great if not, he is a cheap buy out. I really don't think Selmon will have his hands tied at the end of the season. He will be able to do what he wants.

It was a crazy situation that I don't know has happened before. Head Coach dies with no AD a few weeks before signing days. Has all that happen before? Coaches have died and schools have not had AD's I know that but the timing of this was a rare event.

Last edited:

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

Edited to add:

And that’s pathetic.

I don't think it was a horrible choice at the time. Due to the circumstances of why and when the job was open, we were in a somewhat unique position. Arnett was a fiery up and coming coordinator that had put a very good defense on the field. The offense was going to have to change, at least some, because there is only one CML. So, you take a chance and give a interim like contract with little buyout. If he's as good as you hope, Merry Christmas. If he sucks with Xs and Os, then you can replace him after a year and most will understand.

I think the unexpected was the lack of leadership and control of the locker room.

So, on to part 2. Buy him out and move on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll say again, there's nothing really wrong with doing what we did, and when I say that, I mean maintain continuity. It wasn't a bad plan, the execution was just awful.

First, we promoted the wrong guy in Arnett. I would argue that Spurrier Jr was the next best face of our program behind Leach as far as recruiting. THAT is who we should have hired, at least for name cache. He and Hollingshead could have run the offense. If Arnett didn't like it, well leave. He's (Spurrier) older as well, so we essentially would not have ruined the career of Arnett. Spurrier is used to having to bounce around anyway.

Secondly, we didn't communicate to Arnett that the mission was continuity, not to go and change shlt up. Number one, it wouldn't work as well with Air Raid personnel, and number two, this isn't a long term deal. Instead, we said stupid shlt like, "You don't hire a guy and then tell him what to do". Well yeah you do in this situation.

But yeah, our fanbase as a whole was too damn stupid to see the forest for the trees. All we saw was average defense and RuN dA bAwL and we thought Leach had it all wrong and Arnett was the savior. And of the course the Egg Bowl results because that's all we care about here obviously.

We really need to get it through our heads that neither Ole Miss nor MSU are disappearing. So the best we can do is use them for motivation, NOT make decisions based on the outcome of that game. The fact that so many of our fans would trade an 11-1 season with a loss to them for a 9-3 season with a win over them is mind-boggling to me. Remember, one of the most exciting years in our history was shared directly with them most of the year. Doesn't make it any less fun for me.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don't think it was a horrible choice at the time. Due to the circumstances of why and when the job was open, we were in a somewhat unique position. Arnett was a fiery up and coming coordinator that had put a very good defense on the field. The offense was going to have to change, at least some, because there is only one CML. So, you take a chance and give a interim like contract with little buyout. If he's as good as you hope, Merry Christmas. If he sucks with Xs and Os, then you can replace him after a year and most will understand.

I think the unexpected was the lack of leadership and control of the locker room.

^^^^ all this. Everything this guy said is why we hired ZA at the time. It had nothing to do with OM.

Which, OM is a sec school too. Nothing wrong with seeing someone perform well against them and using that as part of the basis to hire said person. Which again I don't think was the case with ZA. It was about everything outlined above.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Kinda cruel in my mind to chance ruining a young coordinator's career. Most interim type coaches are guys like Dabo, Orgeron, etc. Older career assistants who had failed or just some random staffer who people like, who will easily be able to move on if it doesn't work out. Spurrier Jr. fit that mold.

Of course, you could blame Arnett for taking it, but from what the rumors are, he didn't want it at first. Should have learned that lesson, just like we did with Croom.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm tired of thinking about what led up to it. We have two positives to work with going forward: 1) we didn't lock him in to an overpriced contract and 2) time is now our friend if we start the process now.

The point of 1 above was to give us the option to correct course. All will be forgiven bc most sane fans understand we were in pinch with Leach's unexpected passing. We placed our bet. It failed. Quit analyzing why. Move the 17 on. Find a guy with P5 HC experience and get the fans engaged again.

Sucks for Arnett but he will have a nice financial windfall for the circumstance and gamble on both ends. He will land on his feet as DC of a decent program and have some HC perspectives to learn from as he ages.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Kinda cruel in my mind to chance ruining a young coordinator's career. Most interim type coaches are guys like Dabo, Orgeron, etc. Older career assistants who had failed or just some random staffer who people like, who will easily be able to move on if it doesn't work out. Spurrier Jr. fit that mold.

Of course, you could blame Arnett for taking it, but from what the rumors are, he didn't want it at first. Should have learned that lesson, just like we did with Croom.
Spurrier was despised in the Bryan and Seale Buildings, and was moving on if CML didnt pass

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Spurrier was despised in the Bryan and Seale Buildings, and was moving on if CML didnt pass
So was Cohen. Sometimes we need people to disrupt things. MSU needs to quit thinking everyone has to be 'liked'. But I don't buy it, anyway. He (Spurrier) was a great recruiter at minimum.

Nobody likes Saban the person either, you know? Hell LEACH wasn't liked either until that November night in Oxford.

Real talk, boys.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
So was Cohen. Sometimes we need people to disrupt things. MSU needs to quit thinking everyone has to be 'liked'. But I don't buy it, anyway. He (Spurrier) was a great recruiter at minimum.

Nobody likes Saban the person either, you know? Hell LEACH wasn't liked either until that November night in Oxford.

Real talk, boys.
Mullen also. He gave us results we'd gladly take back right now and put some big names in the NFL. Who cares if he's an *** hole?

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mullen also. He gave us results we'd gladly take back right now and put some big names in the NFL. Who cares if he's an *** hole?
Yeah, talk about another guy that wasn't liked around Starkville. Like AT ALL. Everybody hated Foglesong too.

If it's going to take a unicorn like Byrne to unite us all, may as well give it up. We have to be prepared to do more with less, that means our fans have to make a sacrifice, we can't be like other blue blood programs' fans.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
People who have worked with Spurrier say that he is a career assistant coach with no desire to be a head coach-there are plenty of assistant coaches who feel that way. Not everyone aspires to be the “boss”.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login