I know it's just a little league series, but how can you play two weeks in a double elimination tournament?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They were eliminated,
Texas had beaten Florida earlier in the week...
only to lose one game in the finals. Aren't you supposed to have two losses to be put out?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That is how the bracket is and I guess it is done that way because of the pitching limitations in the rules. The team coming out of the winners bracket should have 2 runs to start the game.

I was really bothered by the 14 man batting order. It also looked like the umpires for the 1980s Atlanta Braves out there. That guy was calling pitches in the other batters box. They were 6 inches or more off the plate.

No wonder all these kids stand too close to the plate.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
This tournament seems to go on forever each year. I always wondered how the Parents could keep their jobs. Almost no one has that much vacation. Sure nowadays some folks work from home etc, but most people still have a job that requires them to show up everyday. Back when my kids were playing sports and I needed to leave a little early on Friday afternoon to make a road game on Friday night, they acted like I asked for a kidney or something.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This tournament seems to go on forever each year. I always wondered how the Parents could keep their jobs. Almost no one has that much vacation. Sure nowadays some folks work from home etc, but most people still have a job that requires them to show up everyday. Back when my kids were playing sports and I needed to leave a little early on Friday afternoon to make a road game on Friday night, they acted like I asked for a kidney or something.
A couple of local teams made long runs this year. The boys were one strike away from Williamsport and the 12u girls made it to the Little League Softball World Series.

- The World series is a week long. But it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. 5 work days if you make it.

- The regionals were 5 days in CA, 3-4 work days if you make it.

- State was spread out over 2 weekends. Maybe a day or two of work if you needed to take the whole day for travel

- District tournament games were just after work or on weekends. No time off.

So if you have a 12 year old that makes it all the way to the LLWS, which is the experience of a lifetime for a kid I'm sure, you might need 12 days off work total. The entire community will rally around these kids and families and it won't be a big deal to get time off.

Now to travel/club ball. The teams play Thursday - Sunday every other weekend for "Championships" at little made up tournaments. Nobody cares about this except for the parents. They win little medals and plastic rings and play the same teams every tournament, but drive for hours to do so. They play 7 games in 4 days and wreck arms. The have 1.5 hour dead drop time limits and play 3 inning games because of it. Worst of all it's year after year of asking for time off for little Timmy's big tournament this weekend.

Give me the Little League 10 out of 10 times over the alternative.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That is how the bracket is and I guess it is done that way because of the pitching limitations in the rules. The team coming out of the winners bracket should have 2 runs to start the game.

I was really bothered by the 14 man batting order. It also looked like the umpires for the 1980s Atlanta Braves out there. That guy was calling pitches in the other batters box. They were 6 inches or more off the plate.

No wonder all these kids stand too close to the plate.

Until the 6th inning, I thought it was poignant that the pitcher for FL, who was getting that "outside edge" strike earlier in the game, had that pitch called a ball when he was in the batter's box, with runners on late in the game. I don't mind the ump giving it, but why was it a strike earlier but not when the game was on the line late?

Didn't Texas have already beaten them earlier in the week? Before, was the pitching so sketchy for everyone?

As someone said earlier, it's way too long for kids. They need to play a tournament before this, on both sides, American and international.

Reactions: eckie1

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
A couple of local teams made long runs this year. The boys were one strike away from Williamsport and the 12u girls made it to the Little League Softball World Series.

- The World series is a week long. But it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. 5 work days if you make it.

- State was spread out over 2 weekends. Maybe a day or two of work if you needed to take the whole day for travel

So if you have a 12 year old that makes it all the way to the LLWS, which is the experience of a lifetime for a kid I'm sure, you might need 12 days off work total. The entire community will rally around these kids and families and it won't be a big deal to get time off.

Now to travel/club ball. The teams play Thursday - Sunday every other weekend for "Championships" at little made up tournaments. Nobody cares about this except for the parents. They win little medals and plastic rings and play the same teams every tournament, but drive for hours to do so. They play 7 games in 4 days and wreck arms. The have 1.5 hour dead drop time limits and play 3 inning games because of it. Worst of all it's year after year of asking for time off for little Timmy's big tournament this weekend.

Interesting on the travel ball. Thursday - Sunday would not be manageable. My Son coaches a travel ball team here and tournaments are Saturday and Sunday. Pool play on Saturday and bracket play on Sunday. A couple of overnight trips but most sites he plays are within reasonable driving distance. At least here in our situation, little league “Rec” ball is not an attractive option. First, it’s not a safe environment at all, and second, it’s a 3 ring circus. I don’t see how anyone learns anything about the game. I coached Rec little league for 13 years back when my boys were growing up. We had a great time and had some really good teams several times. Unfortunately, things have changed around here and not in a good way since then. I miss those days and really enjoy occasionally running into my old players from time to time. They are in their 30’s and early 40’s now and the vast majority turned out to be fine people, some of which are now coaching their own kids. Makes me kid of proud to see them passing the game on to the next generation.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

A decent USSSA Double A Team would run rule most of these teams.

• Haha
Reactions: JackShephard

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Interesting on the travel ball. Thursday - Sunday would not be manageable. My Son coaches a travel ball team here and tournaments are Saturday and Sunday. Pool play on Saturday and bracket play on Sunday. A couple of overnight trips but most sites he plays are within reasonable driving distance. At least here in our situation, little league “Rec” ball is not an attractive option. First, it’s not a safe environment at all, and second, it’s a 3 ring circus. I don’t see how anyone learns anything about the game. I coached Rec little league for 13 years back when my boys were growing up. We had a great time and had some really good teams several times. Unfortunately, things have changed around here and not in a good way since then. I miss those days and really enjoy occasionally running into my old players from time to time. They are in their 30’s and early 40’s now and the vast majority turned out to be fine people, some of which are now coaching their own kids. Makes me kid of proud to see them passing the game on to the next generation.
Club/travel baseball ball has become a year around sport for most teams, at least in this part of the world. Tryouts are in August and then they start fall games and practices.

Little League actually has a good foothold still in many areas. It attracts the more athletic kids that play multiple sports. Year around baseball might make since in highschool for the handful of players that will go beyond, but no way should it be year around for most kids.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
No chance. Tell me you have not watched the LLWS without telling me. Or that you have not seen 12u travel baseball.

These aren't your typical little leagues. The towns/cities with good LL programs attract their better 12u players for a shot to play regionals and the Little League World Series. There are 12u kids throwing in the upper 70's and low 80's at the LLWS for goodness sakes.

After Little League they go play travel ball. Many at the majors level. We had a travel ball team cancel playing in our July travel ball tournament this season because too many off their players were playing in the state LL tournament.

My kids just latched onto the Boerne, Texas team this LLWS since we have friends that live in Boerne. I just looked up the kids from that little league all star team in perfect game. First off, they all have 17ing perfect game profiles at 12u if that tells you anything.

Here's their travel ball resumés:

8 of them play 12u majors on the same team in San Antonio.

1 plays on the 29th ranked 12u majors team in the country out of Dripping Springs, TX.

1 plays on the #21 ranked 11u majors team in the country out of Austin

1 plays for a 12u majors team out of Schertz, TX.

1 kid played for a AAA team in Virginia 2 years ago so must be new to town.

They'd beat decent 12u AA team like a drum.

They'd dominate AAA too.

They are basically a Majors team, but I doubt they'd win because of the geographic limits on little league vs travel ball. But 2-3 of the kids from Boerne could play for any 12u majors team they want if the parents were up for it.

It's really good baseball at the LLWS on an infield that is too small. Should be 50'/70'.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bullshlt. These are all travel ball kids….the best of the best from their areas. You need to learn how this system works. These are like travel ball all stars. Maybe not from PooPops area, but from many states, that’s how it works. They have tryouts from wherever the Little League is. Starkville is one of them.

There are posters here who have kids that have played in the LLWS, in multiple states. Get the info before you post.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Club/travel baseball ball has become a year around sport for most teams, at least in this part of the world. Tryouts are in August and then they start fall games and practices.

Little League actually has a good foothold still in many areas. It attracts the more athletic kids that play multiple sports. Year around baseball might make since in highschool for the handful of players that will go beyond, but no way should it be year around for most kids.

We have a pretty long spring / summer season and then a short fall season. Every other weekend for the most part. I think we played 9 tournaments this summer and only 4 scheduled for the fall. Some coaches play more but the kids, parents, and coaches all burn out. Everyone has other obligations and interest. School, work, Football, basketball, soccer, Bulldog games, hunting, fishing, and just good old down time. I think if it got to be a year round thing here lots of kids would drop out. We really enjoy it but if it started messing with hunting season our bunch would be out real quick. Kids need to be able to participate in a variety of sports and activities while growing up.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

It’s always funny to me to see older men try and justify travel ball, because “my son is coaching it”, or any variant thereof. They’ll say the rec league is crap, which is true, but it’s travel ball that ruined it, not the other way around. And they’ll say the fall season is short…..hahahaha BEE ESS.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - these parents wanted their entertainment and status, and they got it. I don’t even blame the tournament directors, they are simply giving the consumers what they wanted.

I just wish people would own it, and admit that they love it. 80% of American families with baseball players absolutely love being at the ball field all weekend, going out to eat, and one upping each other. Have you ever been at a table of 35 at a Mexican restaurant listening to all the dads strategize and analyze the tournaments, while the women talk down to each other in their horrible sheepy suburban accents, while the kids are all buried on phones, and the bill for a family of 4 is $125 because of all the placating cheese dip that got wasted?

Do you even Pinelake bro?

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
It’s always funny to me to see older men try and justify travel ball, because “my son is coaching it”, or any variant thereof. They’ll say the rec league is crap, which is true, but it’s travel ball that ruined it, not the other way around. And they’ll say the fall season is short…..hahahaha BEE ESS.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - these parents wanted their entertainment and status, and they got it. I don’t even blame the tournament directors, they are simply giving the consumers what they wanted.

I just wish people would own it, and admit that they love it. 80% of American families with baseball players absolutely love being at the ball field all weekend, going out to eat, and one upping each other. Have you ever been at a table of 35 at a Mexican restaurant listening to all the dads strategize and analyze the tournaments, while the women talk down to each other in their horrible sheepy suburban accents, while the kids are all buried on phones, and the bill for a family of 4 is $125 because of all the placating cheese dip that got wasted?

Do you even Pinelake bro?
I love it. My boys aren’t at some elite level where they’re traveling all over, mostly within an hour or so. But I love being at the ballpark. My son and his teammates love being at the ballpark and being together. I like most of the team parents and most of the kids. It’s a community.

I love rec ball, too, whether it’s baseball or soccer or flag football. Sometimes I’ll go to the fields when my kids aren’t even playing to visit with the other parents and watch my friends’ kids (or my kids’ friends). My boys like to go and cheer for their friends. Maybe that will change when they’re teenagers. Maybe even earlier.

There are aspects that suck. Mostly the heat. Packing and lugging crap and getting back late. Making sure all the uniform parts are clean and together. Having the same conversation 20 times about how I’m not buying you a $400 bat when your teammate has the same bat that he lets you use. Missing out on too many State games because I’m at a kid’s tournament.

It’s worth it, though. Like I said, I love it. My older kid lives and breathes baseball. His brother loves the social aspect more than actually practicing and playing- but he loves it nonetheless. When they quit loving it, we’ll do something else.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login