I know our logos aren't exclusive, but this messed with my mind a bit

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
MSU owns the trademark registration on that cap logo. Without knowing more information, I think CLC needs to get a Cease and Desist letter in yhe mail.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

My buddy coaches in the St Martin district on the coast. They use the “M over S” logo, buts it’s “S over M” and blue and yellow. It’s an odd thing to see as a State fan. I’ve been after him to get me a hat.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Didn't Iowa win a logo infringement case against Southern Miss.?
Yes and it was stupid. The USM logo had similarities to the ugly-*** Iowa logo, but you’d have to have vision problems to think people would be confused. Maybe they were worried people would turn on a USM game and think finally Iowa updated their stupid logo!

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Didn't Iowa win a logo infringement case against Southern Miss.?
Not really an infringement suit. They got USM trademark registration canceled by the USPTO, which meant USM would gave lost a lawsuit if Iowa brought a suit.

Trademark cases are very subjective, and I'm not saying the USPTO was necessarily right, but you cannot just look at the logos side by side and say they are different. They rarely appear side by side in the real world.

They question to be answered is whether consumers are likely to be confused by the existence of the two logos. Is it likely someone would see the USM logo on something and think that thing was sponsored by Iowa, or vice versa.

And it doesn't have to be ALL consumers, or even a majority of consumers. Just a number that is above the deminimus number of idiots out there who are confused by anything.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login