I know we’re blaming Arnett, but

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The guy that hired him is equally responsible. Not even joking. He panicked and hired an unproven commodity and gave him free reign to run the most important fund raising department on our campus. If he loves this university, he should resign in shame.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Absolutely.

Don’t agree with Keenum resigning, but those that want to blame the coaches need to start with the people that hired them. Tough situation, but they knew this had little to no chance of working.

To be fair, at the end of the day— I think it’s unfair to really be pissed at anyone for what happened. I wish we’d been able to make a better decision at coach, but there were so many moving pieces at the worst possible time.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The guy that hired him is equally responsible. Not even joking. He panicked and hired an unproven commodity and gave him free rein to run the most important fund raising department on our campus. If he loves this university, he should resign in shame.
Leach’s death happened in December. The coaching carousel in late November had already come to a stop. If you want to hire a football coach, you need to be doing the work in October and early November. We didn’t plan to make a change and had no plan when Leach died. We tried the best option we had. It didn’t work out. We will have a much better chance to make a good hire here in the next 3 weeks.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The guy that hired him is equally responsible. Not even joking. He panicked and hired an unproven commodity and gave him free rein to run the most important fund raising department on our campus. If he loves this university, he should resign in shame.
This can’t be overstated. I don’t even know how he can be fired. IHL?

It’s become pretty obvious that he’s a spazz that needs to stay out of athletics. Hell, he needs to stay out of education, too.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t think Keenum is going to be stepping down over a football coach higher short of his last name being Sandusky.

We’re moving on. Let’s see what you’ve got, Selmon
Of course he’s definitely not going to and he won’t get fired, but he brought this on us.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Good lord. The football team sucking has nothing to do with the rest of the university. Firing the the university president over freaking football is totally insane.
Should we instead look at our academic rankings? That thread is always fun**. The school president is a fund raiser. Nothing raises more money than the football team. He killed it.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
We did hire Leach in January.
We did. But I guarantee you we had already been doing work behind the scenes. Moorhead was all but out the door until he won that Egg Bowl. We weren’t starting a search from zero. And the calendar moves much faster now with the transfer portal as it is. That wasn’t the case when we hired Leach. You can’t go without a football coach for 2 months like you could in year’s past.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Well at at least he has the academic reputation moving in the right direction.**
You want hear another joke. A daughter of my friend is a National merit finalist, wants to do engineering. Apparently ALABAMA has a more highly thought of engineering department than we do, at least in that family’s eyes. No clue if that’s true or not, but this family has no allegiance to anyone.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good lord. The football team sucking has nothing to do with the rest of the university. Firing the the university president over freaking football is totally insane.
Completely and totally agree. Keenum should be fired for dozens of other reasons related to the godawful job he’s done running the university for a decade….none of which have anything to do with Arnett.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It was a bad decision and it was a tough position. But let's not act like there was no other choice. They thought Arnett was HC material. Remember ? It's just a matter of time before he gets a HC job. We need to be proactive and give it to him right here. I was against it. He was never that good of a DC. He very little experience. Coached under Long and Leach and that's it. And for what 6 years at that ?? 7 maybe. Lazy hire.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Turns out it was indeed a terrible decision to give the HC job to Arnett, but 95% of MSU fans were on board with the decision at the time. It was just a really bad situation to lose our HC unexpectedly right after the regular season fairly close to signing day with no AD in place. Expecting good results with just Keenum and Bracky around to make a decision was probably too much to expect anyway. At least this go round we should be completely prepared although Selmon is a complete rookie in making HC hires so who knows what we end up with. I think the Fansville girl with the maroon State shirt on is correct when she says our program is cursed. :(

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Keenum is just another symptom way of how it’s done around here. He’s “one of us” so he is golden and can’t be touched unless he basically burns the university down.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
We did hire Leach in January.
But that time we had a coach in December that recruits and current players thought was going to stay. And our coach hadn't just died.

Arnett has been a disaster, but it was a disastrous situation. We will have many more qualified coaches willing to entertain our job now than last year just a few weeks after nationally known and beloved coach Mike Leach died... No one good was going to want to take on that task.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We all entered this season expecting CZA to continue winning. It didn't work out so there is no reason to second guess the decision. It is just time to move on to a better, proven coach.

Reactions: patdog

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
This can’t be overstated. I don’t even know how he can be fired. IHL?

It’s become pretty obvious that he’s a spazz that needs to stay out of athletics. Hell, he needs to stay out of education, too.
You talking about Keenum? You do know he played college football ?...did you play past High School or even Pee Wee

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
You want hear another joke. A daughter of my friend is a National merit finalist, wants to do engineering. Apparently ALABAMA has a more highly thought of engineering department than we do, at least in that family’s eyes. No clue if that’s true or not, but this family has no allegiance to anyone.
We’re ranked higher on this list but lower than university of Alabama - Huntsville: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings

VADawg1993

Nov 12, 2023
I love Keenum and think he’s a top President in the nation. However, all of this falls back on him. Cohen announced he was leaving in October, which means Keenum likely knew in late September. It took Keenum 3 months to hire an AD. He took a lazy approach thinking “take our time and find the right person” which is great, UNTIL… with a position as important as AD you can’t just wait. It has to be filled with a quality person within a month. Keenum should have a list of “who’s next” just in case.

Keenum fumbled the AD hiring process and in turn had to scramble to fill the HC job on his own with no qualification to do so.

Reactions: rynodawg

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Just like Cohen, Keenum’s best qualification for the top job was the fact that he was an alum. He’s been ok for 14 years (good and bad), but it’s simply time for him to move on from the best job in government. Nothing personal.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We just had the largest Freshman class in our history, and you guys are wanting to fire Keenum? Those kids should be so honored to live with the misery of our athletics that we've all dealt with. It makes them tough.**

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I don’t think Keenum is going to be stepping down over a football coach higher short of his last name being Sandusky.

We’re moving on. Let’s see what you’ve got, Selmon
Keemun needs to step down (or get stepped down) for reasons completely separate from football. I feel like I'm routinely hearing about how much more a degree costs and how much less it's worth. Research ratings etc...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Absolutely untrue.

Reactions: Dawg84
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login