aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Congrats but this is year 3.

Family Tradition...

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Congrats but this is year 3.

So you are just assuming his classification now?!!1!1!!

Seriously, you have to have 30 hours to be classified as a sophomore. I definitely had friends that made it to year three without 30 credits.

But I'm not sure if you can do that and maintain eligibility. I think when I was in school athletes had to take 12 hours a semester, pass half their classes each semester, and get 24 credit hours per year. So the most extreme cases there were some that would take twelve hours in the fall and spring, pass 6 hours and fail 6 hours, and then get 12 hours in summer school and correspondence classes over the summer.

But maybe with all the rule changes there is a way to get to year three and still be eligible with under 30 hours. 🤷‍♂️

ETA: WEll I guess I should have read the article. I assumed it was just a mistake, but:

"Williams, who enters his third season in 2024, is a redshirt freshman after earning a medical hardship waiver last season. He has played in six career games, three in 2022 and three in 2023. He has earned eight career tackles and two career tackles for loss."

For some reason I thought that medical redshirts weren't granted until after you exhausted your eligibility? So even when it was obvious somebody was going to get a medical redshirt, it wasn't actually applied for until they had used up four years of eligibility? Did I dream that or is that another rule that has changed?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login