I love this matchup

Southdowns

Feb 27, 2008
Dawgs will beat Memphis. Memphis' terrible conference will be exposed on Sunday. MSU will physically pound them.

Geaux Dawgs!

Southdowns

Feb 27, 2008
Dawgs will beat Memphis. Memphis' terrible conference will be exposed on Sunday. MSU will physically pound them.

Geaux Dawgs!

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I will say that this is a game that I wanted MSU to play, not that I believe that we are a shoo-in to win, but definately a team that I want to see how we do against.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
True. It is a good measuring stick for BOTH teams. Although I am not sure what a win for either team tells us. It depends on what you think about the teams going into the game I think. Is Memphis an elite team headed for th Final Four or more? Or are they the product of a weak conference who hasn't played great teams other than Tennessee since January? Is State an exceptionally talented team who put it together late? Or are they the product of a weak conference who hasn't played great teams other than Tennessee since January?

wayneland5025

Mar 1, 2008
We cannot beat a team like Memphis with absolutely no bench. They will wear us down like coach 34 trying to be clever.

LimpinDawg

May 29, 2007
on ESPN Gamenight that Miss. State will be just a good scrimmage for Memphis and Memphis dances on! (Laughing while saying it).

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
(note our stellar play this year when ranked). I wouldn't worry too much about Dapper Dan's opinion, either. He probably has a nice piece written up for what an epic battle UConn vs. Drake will be, too.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
especially if we have another half where we can't buy a bucket from outside. Memphis may be beatable but I don't think we are the team to do it. I think we lose by at least 15 on Sunday.

But as always, I hope I am wrong.

cb6228

Aug 30, 2006
agreed. Memphis by 15-20. We are absolutely no match for memphis. Their defense will be the difference in this game.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
If we play like we did at Vandy, Mempis will have their hands full. However, we've had our head up our *** since the Vandy game. I'm not expecting much.

codeDawg

Nov 13, 2007
Totally agree. Outside shooting is going to be the key to us having a chance tomorrow. Chuck is going to have -5 points, so Ben, Barry, and JaMoney have got to get hot from outside tomorrow. Memphis' size and strength are going to be a big problem for us underneath.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
Memphis is the last team I want us to play. It's certainly winnable, like just about any game is. But despite arguments to the contrary by so many on here, this is the absolute worst matchup MSU could have. You've got a team that forces tempo going against a team that allows the tempo to be dictated. You've got an offense that struggles for long stretches going against one of the best defenses in the country. You've got long, quick athletes going against guys who struggle to defend. To win this game, Hansbrough and Stewart will need to play the offensive game of their lives, and Memphis will need to have a woeful shooting night. I think Gordon can hang with Rose defensively, but Anderson will probably be guarding Gordon on the other end, and that pretty well means that Gordon will be a non-factor, unless he can figure out how to get Anderson into foul trouble. State has nobody on the team, or campus for that matter, than can guard Douglas-Roberts. Rhodes will likely neutralize Dorsey pretty well, but Dozier is too fast for Varnado and I could see swat get into early foul trouble trying to guard Dozier or stepping out to try and block Douglas-Roberts' short floaters.

Stansbury needs to play zone all day and hope that Memphis isn't hitting shots. We'll need to defend the high post like we never have, because if we don't, Dozier will live up there and score at will. If we try to run at all, or if we man up, that will not work out very well.

But hey, for everyone who insists that I hate Stans and revel in State losses, I'll be at the Fox and Hound on Sanderlin in my maroon tomorrow. Drop by and say hi.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Calm down chieftain. My reasoning is that from what I can tell, you are a fan of Calipari and Memphis so you are watching two of the schools you root for.

Barksaholic

May 2, 2006
or lack thereof, is what scares me the most. between the lack of proven depth and odd substitution patterns, we may sure nuff find ourselves in a pickle during the middle of second half. hope i am wrong, but this concerns me.</p>

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
I am honestly confused about which teams you were referring to in each section... From your conclusion, it sounded like you were aligning Memphis with great defense, and MSU with guys who struggle to defend. But that's so absurd I can only assume you made a point and then were playing devil's advocate?

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
I'm not really a Memphis fan. I just acknowledge that they are a fun team to watch. I do think Calipari is a pretty good coach, and I apparently don't have many people around here who agree with that.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
there is no question that Hansbrough and Stewart aren't the best defenders (especially Hansbrough), which will probably be magnified if Stans doesn't play zone like he needs to.

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
Best defenders in the country, no, but they are adequate, and our team hangs our hat on defense. Stansbury is a defensive coach, and we typically are a very good defending team. Memphis runs the we-score-then-we-let-you-score offense, and they just score more than anybody else. We might not win but it sure as hell won't be because of "Mempis" defense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login