I mean who among us hasn't been accidentally overpaid...by $1MM***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I love how this professor is referring to himself as a “serf”.
It was a nice touch. I was also impressed that it didn't read "former" professor, but that might be coming. I mean there is a class structure, but who would expect academics to take front seat over athletics at a university?***

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It was a nice touch. I was also impressed that it didn't read "former" professor, but that might be coming. I mean there is a class structure, but who would expect academics to take front seat over athletics at a university?***
I’d say the economics of it and people who are logical wouldn’t expect professors to make as much as football coaches in the SEC.

But that’s just me.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Just a minor accounting error, what's another million here or there when championships are at stake. **

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In my experience people from the world of academia are for the most part clueless about how the real business world operates. I have known a lot of teachers / professors in my life and I don’t think I have ever known one that would have lasted 2 weeks in my world, which was sales and marketing in manufacturing. I never hired anyone out of College that was really ready to go to work from an education standpoint. All their degree proved to me was that they had the ability to learn. My wife hired a lot of accounting graduates and had the same experience. I have three life long College professors in my extended family. Two of them are some of the dumbest and laziest people that I have ever seen. They can talk all day about a wide array of topics, but they can’t actually do anything except be annoying. The third one is just a far left nut job that never worked a day in her life outside of academia. I think back to the professors I had at State in the early 1970’s and there were a lot of weird dudes in that bunch. How can these people prepare our children and grandchildren to make a living in a world that they can’t even imagine? They can’t. My apologies to any teachers / professors that are actually functional individuals with business and common sense. I’m sure there are a few of you out there somewhere. I just never met you.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Thank you for using MM to abbreviate million instead of M which means thousand.
Yes, for the non technical among us it is the appropriate (Roman) nomenclature. For the technical the use of K, M, and B are appropriate as opposed to M, MM, MMM, etc.

Aug 15, 2011
In my experience people from the world of academia are for the most part clueless about how the real business world operates. I have known a lot of teachers / professors in my life and I don’t think I have ever known one that would have lasted 2 weeks in my world, which was sales and marketing in manufacturing. I never hired anyone out of College that was really ready to go to work from an education standpoint. All their degree proved to me was that they had the ability to learn. My wife hired a lot of accounting graduates and had the same experience. I have three life long College professors in my extended family. Two of them are some of the dumbest and laziest people that I have ever seen. They can talk all day about a wide array of topics, but they can’t actually do anything except be annoying. The third one is just a far left nut job that never worked a day in her life outside of academia. I think back to the professors I had at State in the early 1970’s and there were a lot of weird dudes in that bunch. How can these people prepare our children and grandchildren to make a living in a world that they can’t even imagine? They can’t. My apologies to any teachers / professors that are actually functional individuals with business and common sense. I’m sure there are a few of you out there somewhere. I just never met you.
The best professors I had were those that had worked out in the business world before coming to teach. They taught what you really needed to know rather than all the fluff most of the classes are filled with. The worst were those that loved to derive equations every class (Physics Dept) and confuse you. My Physics II professor was the worst of the bunch. He would derive equations the entire class period and then give you a ton of homework that he had not explained how to solve! I have never used any of what was taught in that class for a single second of my job.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yes, for the non technical among us it is the appropriate (Roman) nomenclature. For the technical the use of K, M, and B are appropriate as opposed to M, MM, MMM, etc.
Not technical, just metric... Or Greek. In the US I think computer fields use it, but mostly just lay people. In the rest of the world the metric-Greek-K-M-B is widely used.

In the US the technical fields of finance, accounting, engineering, oil and gas, construction pros... All use MM for a million. Though some commies are trying to change it.

MMscf = million standard cubic feet
Mscf = thousand standard cubic feet

MMbbl = million barrels
Mbbl = thousand barrels

MMbf = million board feet
MMbf = thousand board feet

Until we change to the metric system, we are MM in this country... Murica!

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Not technical, just metric... Or Greek. In the US I think computer fields use it, but mostly just lay people. In the rest of the world the metric-Greek-K-M-B is widely used.

In the US the technical fields of finance, accounting, engineering, oil and gas, construction pros... All use MM for a million. Though some commies are trying to change it.

MMbbl = million barrels
Mbbl = thousand barrels

Thanks a lot, Carter.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The best professors I had were those that had worked out in the business world before coming to teach. They taught what you really needed to know rather than all the fluff most of the classes are filled with. The worst were those that loved to derive equations every class (Physics Dept) and confuse you. My Physics II professor was the worst of the bunch. He would derive equations the entire class period and then give you a ton of homework that he had not explained how to solve! I have never used any of what was taught in that class for a single second of my job.
Their job as I see it is to prepare their students to make a living in the real world after College. That’s why you send your children to College. I don’t think many professors remember that or understand what it takes to survive in todays global business environment. I think that you are right on target. Professors should spend time working in the real world before starting to teach. Not too many successful football coaches out there that never played the game. Same thing for professors. I bet that the best teachers would be retired business executives with a little time on there hands and a wealth of knowledge to share.

Reactions: Double Dawg

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
Professors and Football Coaches are both overpaid
Not all professors are over paid. Some are underpaid. I have a Ph.D. In Ag from State and can guarantee you that dept does not make anyone rich. I also tend to agree that most professors are completely out of touch with the real world. I actually work with the PSS Dept Head and go back to teach classes each semester at State about how industry really works and how decisions are made in the business world. I touch on problem solving, sales, marketing, and customer relations in an effort to help the college aged kids better prepare. Now whether it actually helps or not who knows!!! We just felt like they weren’t getting this info anywhere else.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
The best professors I had in the Computer Science program were the ones who had actual professional experience.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
100%. I once kept a prof in a graduate class (Advanced Error Correcting Codes) later asking him to explain a practical real world application for ECC. He could not. Computer memory is a really easy answer. I value my education at MSU and it taught me how to solve problems, get along with people that don't come from by background or think like me and ultimately earn a living and feed a family.

My biggest disappointment was when my idealistic thinking that universities were there to educate was blown. In reality undergraduate education is subservient to research. I'd be curious to hear the professor's explanation of how teaching not being the primary focus of the university is philosophically different than elevating sports above education.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I mean in some respects, learning to accomplish tasks while working with a bunch of weird dudes perfectly describes the working world.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Technically I have been. I checked my checking account online and noticed that I had a million dollars too much. I took screenshots and showed everyone who I knew. I was proud as could be. After work I went to the bank to inform them of the mistake. I had recently sold something and had deposited $10,000.00 in cash. I had a receipt for $10,000.00 and they had inadvertently recorded it as 1 million dollars. They literally argued with me that they couldn’t have made that mistake. The whole bank got involved and they were adamant that it wasn’t a mistake. After about 30 minutes I finally told them that I wanted to close the account and withdraw my money. That got their attention. I finally left with them investigating more and about two days later the money disappeared. They never said sorry, kma or anything. I still have the screenshots to prove I’m a millionaire.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I've been using "K" for thousand, whats K for? Just found this too while looking it up:

View attachment 303444
Thats metric and then not. Think wattage.

K = kilo = thousand
M = mega = million
G = giga = billion

B is just weird, as both the standard and metric system just drop a B in to abbreviate billion.

But in this country, we use inches , feet , yards, miles , gallons, pounds, and acres.

MMurica!

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Technically I have been. I checked my checking account online and noticed that I had a million dollars too much. I took screenshots and showed everyone who I knew. I was proud as could be. After work I went to the bank to inform them of the mistake. I had recently sold something and had deposited $10,000.00 in cash. I had a receipt for $10,000.00 and they had inadvertently recorded it as 1 million dollars. They literally argued with me that they couldn’t have made that mistake. The whole bank got involved and they were adamant that it wasn’t a mistake. After about 30 minutes I finally told them that I wanted to close the account and withdraw my money. That got their attention. I finally left with them investigating more and about two days later the money disappeared. They never said sorry, kma or anything. I still have the screenshots to prove I’m a millionaire.
I like your style.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
LOL, don't you know and well said
In all seriousness, we could go on an on about the problems with universities, their focus, etc., but to me it boils down to 2, macro level things:

1) Getting a college degree proves you will do a bunch of crap you don't want to do with a bunch of people you wouldn't necessarily choose to do it with, and persevere to get the desired results.

2) In much the same way, prospective employers look at a college graduates knowing they are going to ask them to do a bunch of crap they might not want to do with a bunch of people they wouldn't necessarily choose to do it with and think, this might just be the guy! He's already PAID to do what we will be PAYING HIM to do. Surely that will work out for a little while at least.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Damn dawg, your English teachers didn't even cover paragraphs. I'd be salty at them too.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

MMbbl = million barrels
Mbbl = thousand barrels

Many engineering fields just use metric. I know we did in the semiconductor industry. We never used MM for million and thougth anyone that did was misinformed. :) The US should join the rest of the world a move to the metric system. Just think of how it would reduce confusion and cut the number of tools in half.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Why can't "K" be a thousand? I like "K" for a thousand, "M" for a million, "B" for a billion and "T" for a trillion. Makes more sense and easier to type.
I'll take this if I can trade getting rid of lb for pound. I know it's a Latin joint, but FOR WHAT

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Why can't "K" be a thousand? I like "K" for a thousand, "M" for a million, "B" for a billion and "T" for a trillion. Makes more sense and easier to type.

Let me be more clear. K stands for kilo... Aka metric... Aka Greek.
M is the Roman numeral for 1000. MM is an abbreviation of 1000 x 1000.... Aka Roman.

Those sissy *** Greeks sat around philosophizing about what could be done, then the Romans came in and conquered those pansies before building the greatest empire the world has ever known. The use of imperial measurements in the US is rooted in Roman measures. I mean, at the end of the day, it's a free country and you can feel free to use the Greek option if you want. NTTAWT....

Greek Meaning

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I'm calling BS - you're a Snap On salesman just wanting to move more 10mm sockets.
Nah, right now Snap On Salesmen are happy to sell SAE and Metric tools. Moving to Metric only would cut their sales volume in half. Every auto mechanic has to have both sets of tools because every Auto manufacturer uses a mixture (although most are going mostly metric from what I understand).

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login