I need to hear yalls dead pet stories to make me feel better.

Sep 12, 2013
My 10 year old pit/boxer mix had, what appears now to be almost completely debilitating, leg injury about 7 months ago. It healed just enough to where he could walk with a limp.

Today, he has apparently aggravated that injury. Really can’t walk. I had to carry him up and down the porch steps to the yard. He groans with any movement laying down. It’s pitiful. Very hard to watch. The end seems pretty imminent. Hank has been my first puppy to death dog as an adult.

When did y’all know it was time?

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
My childhood black lab Samantha had a tumor removed when she was about 11 and I was 16. About a year later, I went outside and noticed she wasn't around, which was very unusual. I called her name, and she came out of the nearby woods from a spot she didn't frequent. After a few steps, she collapsed.
I immediately grabbed one of my brothers, we put her in my truck, and drove her to the vet.
There, they found that the tumor had spread to her lungs. They recommended we put her under, and she was clearly suffering. When I said yes, she keeled over on the table.
I was glad her suffering was over, but that scarred me for a long time.

Reactions: Msubulldogfan1

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Had to put my 13 year old yellow lab down a couple of years ago. When they found the tumor in her lungs they said we would probably be two weeks from knowing it was time. Two weeks later she quit eating and started passing blood. I knew it was time but making that decision was the hardest thing I've ever done. Cried like a baby. I have a beautiful 2 year old white lab now that I love and spoil rotten but it still gets me when I think about her.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
My 10 year old pit/boxer mix had, what appears now to be almost completely debilitating, leg injury about 7 months ago. It healed just enough to where he could walk with a limp.

Today, he has apparently aggravated that injury. Really can’t walk. I had to carry him up and down the porch steps to the yard. He groans with any movement laying down. It’s pitiful. Very hard to watch. The end seems pretty imminent. Hank has been my first puppy to death dog as an adult.

I had a dog from 1st grade to my first year of college. He was degrading gradually, but he was in particularly bad shape during my fall finals. Wasn’t able to move much and would just lie there.

We had him checked out, and it was really just old age kicking in. Nothing specific…. So, we brought him back home.

Almost immediately, he reverted back to acting like a fully healthy dog for about a week! We enjoyed the time with him as much as we could. Then, he suddenly went all the way back downhill and we knew it was time. It was a gut-wrenching decision, but he was suffering so much.

Reactions: Msubulldogfan1

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’ve had a few die throughout my life, some good dogs, some not so good. I always remembered that they were dogs and not people and didn’t get too upset.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

Feed that good boy a steak dinner and take him in for the injection. I put one down a few years ago that was in some pain and felt really unsure about the decision until I actually gave the go ahead and felt him go limp in my lap, then a huge sense of having done the right thing overtook me. I probably should have done it sooner.

Reactions: eckie1

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

If it's hard to watch then it's time.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Many dogs do well after amputation. But a 10 year old dog would be pushing it. I would discuss it with the vet. I've had to put down two. It's never easy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
My childhood black lab Samantha had a tumor removed when she was about 11 and I was 16. About a year later, I went outside and noticed she wasn't around, which was very unusual. I called her name, and she came out of the nearby woods from a spot she didn't frequent. After a few steps, she collapsed.
I immediately grabbed one of my brothers, we put her in my truck, and drove her to the vet.
There, they found that the tumor had spread to her lungs. They recommended we put her under, and she was clearly suffering. When I said yes, she keeled over on the table.
I was glad her suffering was over, but that scarred me for a long time.
Lost two of our dogs within 8 months. One 16 year old. She got to the point she didn't know where she was and was obviously confused and very sick. It was tough since she has had been my wife's dog for years before we met.

The 7 year boxer bulldog had a heart attack Labor Day last year after playing in the yard. That sucked. Died right in front of me with me trying to help her breath. That one sucked big time because she was the first dog my wife and I got together. She was my shadow and my bud. It still sucks. I carry her name tag on my key chain.

we have since gotten two more boxers that follow me around everywhere and that we have gotten very attached to.

Mar 3, 2008
Had a black lab that I drove home straddling my forearm. After 12 years he was about 100 lbs. I saw him pee blood one day when I went I get him the next day for the vet he was off in the back corner of my yard. I had to carry him to my truck. They found a tumor and I had to be removed. They told me prepare for the worst. If they go in and it’s to far gone they would just put home to sleep. I was terrible. Cried like a baby. 1 hour of surgery and he was home the next day. The vet said it was top 3 things he’s ever seen. He made it a little over a year and I had to do it all over again.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Losing a pet sucks. It’s not like losing a family member and anybody who says it is has never lost a close family member, but it’s still painful. We lost our German shepherd a few years back. We picked her up as an adult off the side of the road. She was huge, beautiful and great with the kids. We knew she was older and she was obviously a breeder. Never could figure out why someone had dumped such an awesome dog. Two years later we found out why. She had a chronic lung disease and apparently it had been discovered early and instead of taking care of her the way she deserved, some miserable sonofabitch dumped her on the side of the road. She was only with us a couple years, but she was by far the best dog I’ve ever had and I cried like a big a$$ baby the day she died. Sorry to hear of your pup’s troubles, but rest assured that you will be doing Hank a solid by letting him go with some dignity. The biggest regret I had with Xena was trying to keep her with us longer when she was obviously suffering. I just always thought she’d pull through,

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
A few years ago, our 4yo g-doodle had a mild limp of one foot. Vet said was a sprain. Next day was favoring a leg on other side, vet said probably tick illness. Next day he was barely moving. Took him to vet school (which was expensive but rather impressive), and they finally found a tumor on his spine. He was in absolute misery for a week, and obviously we put him down.
it happened to be Jan 6, the day of the insurrection. I was so stressed over having to drive down to Starkville, I felt like I was the last person in the country that was aware of the other news of the day.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Dammit, the jerk store called and they’re running out of this post. I thought about my childhood dog and then felt the need to chop a sh1tload of onions!!***

We treat pets like family members. It’s what you sign up for, though.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Bone cancer took my 9 year old lab about 8 years ago. The vet told me it was time. I spent a final week with him and then put him down. The day you do it is going to be awful. The first week or two is going to continue to sting. But after a couple weeks, you’ll start to feel a bit better and your thoughts will be more thankful of the years you had instead of raw sadness.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Nothin like a dead pet story to make a guy feel better.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Adopted a six week old cat with my now wife when I was 23. This was in 2016. He lived exclusively with me for almost the first year of his life until the Mrs. moved in after the wedding. I remember when we first got him he wasn’t even big enough to eat or drink out of a bowl, I had to feed him formula from a little pet baby bottle we found at the pet store. This cat had some major anxiety and behavior issues, man. Just an aggressive player that bit the fire out of me regularly. He’d have to be sedated at the vet just for routine check ups. We almost got rid of him multiple times but never had the heart to go through with it for a long time. He was a terror sometimes but he had a sweet side and he LOVED us, just had a really frustrating way of showing it. He had some really nasty episodes but we learned some things on how to manage him and really had a smooth couple of years after a while.

Well, the situation changed last year when our first child was born. The cat was suddenly uncomfortable in his own skin constantly. Wouldn’t come in the room with us anymore unless it was just me home alone with him. One night we had friends over and he pretty much went feral and attacked one of our friends. At that point he was a major safety issue for a baby. I knew then he had to go. After talking with our vet the next day, he advised that given his history and the situation, the most humane thing to do was to put him down. I still think he may have had an undiagnosed tumor of some kind that made him the way he was. It tore me up inside but I agreed to do it.

We had him put down the morning of the Texas A&M game last year. My wife was extremely upset so I ended up going to the game alone. I needed an outlet to help me get over it. Then of course at one of the TV timeouts, someone paid to wish their dang cat a happy birthday on the video board. I just started sobbing in the middle of Davis Wade. Probably looked like a total moron.

He was crazy but I still miss that cat. We view him as our child before we had actual children. He was there for us through years of fertility struggles. I still find his old toys under furniture sometimes and it makes me sad almost a year later.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I got a shelter dog, Alaskan Malamute, presumably dumped because she shed so much. Best dog I ever had. As she aged, she obviously had arthritis. It was pitiful to watch her move, and could barely leave her dog-house to relieve herself. I didn't want to let her go, and I regret not putting her down earlier. Called in sick after I found her when she passed and buried her under a rose bush.

If they're suffering, put them down. I was selfish.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004

I see it every day in the clinic, friend, and my criteria is very simple….if he can’t do the basic things (bathroom trips, walking, eating/drinking) in spite of being on basic pain meds, let him go. Do NOT amputate if he’s an old large dog…that, in my experience, would be a huge mistake. Your local veterinarian should be able to walk you through your options.
And I’m so sorry. That part of my job NEVER gets easier.

Reactions: Ghostman

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
When I was in the third or fourth grade, I had a pet hamster. I think there may have been a trend or my school class also had one….?

Either way, I also had that clear ball accessory that allows the hamster to free range without running away. One fateful day, I was transferring said rodent from ball to cage and I reacted with predictable timing to his escape plans. I closed the side of the cage in somewhat like a dull guillotine. Ooof.

Never again will I own a rodent … never.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Max was a lab mix rescue that moved to Texas with us. She lived about 12 years until several organs started failing because of age. I had her put to sleep to spare her the pain and it damned near killed me.

We also had a Jack Russell named Nitro for about 12 years close to the same time. We knew he was getting old and when he started showing symptoms of pain, so we took him in and found he was terminal with cancer everywhere. The wife put him to sleep. I coudn't be there this time.

We are about to let another family adopt our Catahoula - Luna. When I got her a couple of years ago. I imagined being able to keep her busy and active with me shooting pictures while we walked on the trails and dog areas. Then I was in the hospital several times the past three years for extended stays and I lost almost all my mobility. Now, she needs more excercise and quality of life than I can give her. I love her a bunch, but I just came let her go out excercising like I need to. I spoke with a guy and now I'm meeting with him. He has 15 acres with a pond and large fenced in area at his house. n He already has two big lab mix hi energy dogs and cattle at a couple of leases. He lost his Catahoula last year It went everywhere with him and he sounded really sincere when he talked about missing her. He alsoi said Catahoulas are hard to find and very special and loyal. He also mentioned that his wife and kids treat the dogs like they are more kids and they alsob live in the house like Luna does already. I really believe things can work out for the best if you at really try to find a solution. It sounds like puppy heaven for her.

Reactions: dorndawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I just had to put a 15 yr old one down about a month ago, hardest thing I've ever done but she actually let me know. Took her in and vet said in all his years he never questions when the owner says it's time because if they say it's time he knows it always is. I spent about 3hrs holding her the last morning just rubbing on her and talking to her and we said our goodbyes. Took her in to vet and brought her back home and buried her in the yard, I've walked out there every day since and at least speak to her. Always say after I lose one I won't get another, but I always do, and always will

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxwellSmart

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

A few things to think about from my experiences
- if you are "wondering", it's time
- is this about you or Hank
- I don't say either flippantly as we had 6 dogs (and 2 cats). Everyone a killer emotionally but looking back and despite us swearing that we wouldn't, we waited too long every time. 4 were puppies to 15+ years and 2 were my wife's rescue dogs that I think she loved more than me.

First dog was our 6 year old's Christmas present, 17 years later and beyond old and decrepit he wandered off (NEVER did so) and we never saw him again. Can't help but think he gave up on mom and dad to help him out and just did it on his own.

Second with cancer and spent a fortune on "treatment". He and I never really got along but was momma's best friend so I got to take him for the put down. Cried all the way there, just he and I driving along and could not watch the deed.

Then 4 in a row 2016 to 2020 and nearly to the day. The first I again couldn't watch but the next 3 we were there and very happy that we were.

Not sure if that answers your question or helps but hope it provides something to think about. If nothing else, at least some empathy for what you are going though.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Have them come to your house to do it. I carry a lot of guilt over the dog I put down in 2020. She was ready to give up. Her back legs were gone. I took her to the vet and she was trying as hard as she could to get off the table, and leave. She hated that place, and that’s where her last moments were. In fear.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Have them come to your house to do it. I carry a lot of guilt over the dog I put down in 2020. She was ready to give up. Her back legs were gone. I took her to the vet and she was trying as hard as she could to get off the table, and leave. She hated that plac, and that’s where her last moments were. In fear.
I am. We are going to let everyone meet first. She's in great health

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
Dexter (aka Doodie, D-man, D-Money, Duda, and so many more) crossed the rainbow bridge this past Monday night, 12/19/22, around 8:20. He was such a sweet boy and loved us til his last breath. I think he knew how hard it would be for us to put him down, so he went on his own. No matter how much we tried to prepare for this moment, we just couldn’t. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. We know we were blessed to have him for so long, but we miss him so much. Our day to day just doesn’t feel normal. Our family doesn’t know life together without him.

Thanksgiving of 2004, I recieved a surprise gift. That gift was a 6-7 week old puppy that could fit into the palm of my hand. I decided to name him Dexter. The following year (Dec 05) I met Pam. Dexter was our little wild, full of energy, pup. Jumping over fences, (yes he could) digging for hours, crawling under wooden fences (eventually had to put up an electric fence) and off he'd go... hunting into the woods, roaming, chasing after birds, dragging up rats and leaving them at the front door for me to see, when leaving the next morning for work. Years go by and we have our first baby (Kinsey May '10) Soon after, Kinsey and Dexter were our babes... Dexter (Doodie) started to some what, settle down and became a big bro to Kinsey. Always laying beside her, protecting her and forming a sweet bond. A few more years go by and Kyzer is born (Aug '14) When the 4 of us would go on vacation, or a weekend long ball trip, Doodie had to be the man of the house while we were gone. While sad having to leave him behind, we had little to no worries with Doodie, because he was so self sufficient and could be left plenty of food and water and had access to the back yard for whenever he wanted and needed. When we'd get home, he'd always yelp out for joy and start chomping on his treats within minutes of us being home... while we got plenty of sugar from him, making up for lost time. Doodie, kids and Pam ;)~ would occasionally get in the dog house w/me. Chicken wings were Doodie's weakness and we knew he wasn't supposed to have them. If you left them in the trash he'd sniff them out and leave a disaster behind. After too many occasions of trash and bones scattered across the kitchen floor, we finally figured out that we needed to take the trash out right away or he'd be into it. As Doodie got older, he no longer tried to escape our yard and remained content with his old man lifestyle. From the beginning, he slept on our bed, between Pam and I (at our hip) most nights. He would usually get down a time or two during the night to go use the bathroom outside, fill up on water, or get him a midnight snack. The past 6-8 months, his old bones made it too hard for him to jump up and down on the bed (he wouldn't use the stairs we got him) so he'd whine until we picked him up... until one night, he fell asleep on his doggie bed beside ours. From then on, he never tried to get back up in the bed with us, knowing it was too tough on him and us. As he aged, Dexter's hearing has been very poor for several years, hardly could hear a lick and his eye sight hasn't been great either. He still had a sniffer on him though. He and Pam would be home together all day (M-F) while she worked, having an office buddy. Many days, I'd come home from work and he'd be snoozing in the kitchen, in one of his doggie beds. I'd sneak by without him seeing or hearing me, to the back (bedroom) stretch out and occasionally get a nap in myself. Usually within a few minutes he'd be in my room right beside me to get some loving and nap with me. I guess his keen sense would sniff me out and know dad was home.

We knew this dreaded day was coming, as he really started to slow down the last couple of months. He waited until we got home from Kinsey's soccer game at Columbus HS Monday night and gave us a little more time with him before taking his final breath. We will miss him extremely much. Selfishly, we were hoping to get another Christmas with him but we were able to get a Christmas pic in our matching pj's a week or so ago, knowing it was probably coming soon.

I know this is a long post.. or full obituary, but Doodie was so worth it and deserving of one (even though it took us a few days to be able to do it). He gave us 18 years and almost 3 months worth of his time and love.

Dexter was born (10-2-04) and passed (12-19-22)

RIP our buddy, we miss you so much and love you, forever and ever. ❤ Dad, Mom, Kins, Ky.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sorry for your situation. Imagine a Pit/Boxer mix was a really neat dog. I've had Pits before and one thing I can tell you.....they are the most passionate dogs I've ever had. Whatever they do, they do it 1000% full go. Surprising note is that Pits are 2nd among all dogs in sociability testing just behind the Golden Retriever. If the owner does a good job at raising a Pit, then you have a special dog. They are also very good with small children and babies.....provided they haven't had an abusive upbringing.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I have a warm and fuzzy.

Grew up with a beautiful Irish Setter. Bonnie. Very sweet dog and was not insane/crazy/hyper like most setters.

I was probably 12 or so. I think we had gone from Jackson up to Columbus for a day or two to pick up my brother from camp. Bonnie stayed in the back yard, dog house etc. So we are rolling back into the neighborhood one afternoon. And there is my dog, Bonnie, lying on the front yard close to the sidewalk with a towel over her. Dead.
I cannot remember the details, but apparently she had gotten out of the yard and we suspect someone in the ‘hood poisoned her. As I recall, some people had heard of a neighbor threatening to poison dogs that were coming into his yard….I dunno, but it was pretty dramatic.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Had a black lab that got out of pen (chasing tail) and got hit by car.

X-rays showed multiple breaks in right hip and leg. He was only 4 at the time, so amputation was an easy choice for me. He was named Stonewall Jackson, after amputating, I started calling him Lieutenant Dane. It didn’t slow him down much.

He lived another 4 years until heart worms got him (damn delta mosquitoes).

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've had to say goodbye to more that a few great dogs, each one hurt. My most recent was a month ago, he was my main man and I still look for him when I wake up. I hate this is your first man, the first cut really is the deepest. Here's a few thoughts:

- It's going to tremendously suck, no way around it. I hope you have a good, caring vet - that helps. Stay there with your dog all the way through the end - they don't know what's going on, and you're their friend, their whole world really.

- Knowing what I now know, I probably err more on the side of "maybe too soon" than "waiting too long". If my dog is hurting, has low quality of life, and there isn't hope of improvement I don't want to be selfish in delaying it because it makes me hurt.

- If you really want to go more in-depth, this is a solid resource: https://www.lapoflove.com/how-will-i-know-it-is-time particularly the video.

- This quote always got me: “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Hang in there - I can't tell you it'll get easy, but as the days go on it will get easier

Sep 12, 2013
Sorry for your situation. Imagine a Pit/Boxer mix was a really neat dog. I've had Pits before and one thing I can tell you.....they are the most passionate dogs I've ever had. Whatever they do, they do it 1000% full go. Surprising note is that Pits are 2nd among all dogs in sociability testing just behind the Golden Retriever. If the owner does a good job at raising a Pit, then you have a special dog. They are also very good with small children and babies.....provided they haven't had an abusive upbringing.
He was a gorgeous dog. I won’t lie he had so much energy early on he would piss me off to no end. I’d walk him/run him playing fetch, never could get all the energy out. Could not even pet him without him putting your hand in his mouth. I got a Rottie puppy about 4 months ago in preparation and Hank has been the best 17ing teacher it’s crazy.

He was great around my son when he was born. Hell, when the wife got pregnant it was like he knew. The only time he’d be calm was sitting around her, he put his head on her stomach. That was 7 years ago. But like everyone’s beloved pet, the fierce loyalty he’s had his whole life is just something that can’t be expressed in words. Can only be experienced.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login